PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Tricky Tree
13-05-07, 19:00
Hi.

Thought that I would introduce myself and give a bit of background on my experiences.

36 year old male, married with one son.

Problems started about 5 and a bit years ago. Took my son to an away game of football and started to get a very sick uneasy feeling on the way to the ground. We bought some chips and I couldnt eat them.

Went into the ground early enough, but couldnt sit in the seat - even with the ground half empty. Started to overheat, couldnt cool down, couldnt calm down and eventually had to consult the St Johns Ambulance lot. After being taken the length of the ground to sit in their first aid place for half an hour, felt alright again, but feeling quite shaken decided to leave at half time and drive home.

That was the start.

Clearly didnt know what was happening to me so consulted the doctor to be told to my amazement that underlying depression was to blame. Initially given amitryptline which wasnt any use at all - except for making your mouth dry. Next came beta blockers - slow release ones. Again, no use.

By this time, I had big problems. Off work and couldnt even go to the shops without feeling the searing of blood through the veins and the light headedness.

Getting nowhere, so back to the docs. Found a decent doctor this time and onto Seroxat. I know this has had some bad press, but it was the saving of me at the time.

I was warned that week 1 would be bad before it got into the system, (and it was) but I was at the point where Id try anything.

Started off on 30mg and with the beta blockers in case of need.

Timing of this coincided with a promotion at work - to a managerial grade.

I was a bag of nerves at interview, but somehow calmed down halfway through and scraped through.

Have had a better few years on 30mgs, and last year took it down to 20mg after a gradual improvement. The beta blockers were totally unused and all appeared to be well.

Taking tablets wasnt ideal, but hey, after being in hell who cares if you have to take a tablet at the start of the day?

Moved to a new office Jan 2006 within the company and had a lot of new people to meet. Seemed to cope with this fine, but for some reason the anxiousnous and panic seem to have returned.

My problem seems to be in the build up to a meeting - Ive never even slightly messed up a meeting, but the fear of doing so seems to be really getting me. Almost a feeling of being not good enough or up to it.

Once in there after about 10 mins, Im fine.......but its the build up.

Taking quick release beta blockers now about an hour before the meeting to take the "edge" off which is helping - but not ideal.

Also undertaking counselling (at my expense) which I think is helping. Not helping my bank balance though at £40 per week! Its like another mortgage!!

Well, thats it in a nutshell. Look forward to talking with you all in due course..........

We will all beat this curse!!

groovygranny
13-05-07, 19:05
Hi Tricky Tree, big :welcome:to you!

You've come to the right place for help and support - and some laughs along the way!

"My problem seems to be in the build up to a meeting - Ive never even slightly messed up a meeting, but the fear of doing so seems to be really getting me. Almost a feeling of being not good enough or up to it..."

Sympathise totally with the meeting anx - just endured and come out the other side of one a couple of days ago myself:blush:.

:yesyes:

Jaco45er
13-05-07, 19:08
Welcome chap

Cool nickname btw

I had the same problems with meetings etc, I am self employed now, so kinda please myself but anxiety had a big part to play in my working life.

This is a great site buddy, lots of good advice.

Welcome aboard.

Regards,

Jaco

Pink Princess
13-05-07, 19:55
hey welcome to the site, hope you settle in and get advoce and good friends along the way xxxx take kare xx

honeybee3939
13-05-07, 20:04
hiya Tricky tree

Welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

greenfairywishes
13-05-07, 20:16
hi there

new here myself but i already think it is just what i need, people who understand exactly what panic is all about, and the success stories of people who have overcome this provide me with great hope.

this is just the start of a wonderful journey- how corny am i? lol

take care

laura xx

up a ladder
13-05-07, 20:22
Tricky Tree.

Sounds like exactly the same issues I have. Mine has returned after about 6 years without a hitch.

This is a fantastic site with great people.

SANDYJANE
14-05-07, 08:59
hi and a big warm welcome

love sandy xxx

trac67
14-05-07, 09:53
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

Southern_Belle
14-05-07, 19:19
Hi,

Welcome to the site. You will find alot of informaiton, support and make many friends here.

Hugs,

Laura :)

nomorepanic
14-05-07, 19:28
Hi TT

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

You will meet some fab people and get loads of support and advice!

manmoor
16-05-07, 08:32
Hi Trickey Tree,

A big warm welcome to you. xx