PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram: Yes Or No?

theconjuror
14-07-17, 01:11
Nearly 8 weeks into citaloram (celexa) and no improvements in my anxiety. I have developed avoidance and agouraphobia during this panic disorder relapse. They increase my dosage to 40 mg 2 weeks ago and still fell anxious and panicky all the time, even with low dose clonozapam. Is it time to try a different antidepressant or give it more time? Please share your experiences.

AntsyVee
14-07-17, 07:32
Usually the max dosage is 40 mg. Wait a couple more weeks to see if it kicks in, but after that, if I were you, I would talk about cross-tapering to something else if you're not seeing any relief.

Have you been on any antidepressants before this?

ana
14-07-17, 10:20
I've personally had the most success with Venlafaxine. I've been on Zoloft and Escitalopram before, though, but have not been pleased with the results. Clonazepam works wonders for me, too, though it's addictive, so I'd practise caution with it.

Nathan75
14-07-17, 11:47
I have been on citalopram (20mg) for four weeks. I had half a pill for the first two weeks and then started taking the whole pill.

Like you I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety and panicky feelings which seem to be at their worst after waking up, and through the morning. By evening time I feel pretty normal.

As AntsyVee suggests, I would give it another two or three weeks and see how you feel. I have started to feel some general stabilisation in my mood but things are far from perfect - playing the waiting game while things settle down! The doctor also gave me beta blockers (propranolol) to help with symptoms of anxiety, which are helpful.

Carrie8484
14-07-17, 13:11
I've taken citalopram for 11 years (i cant believe it's that long)
it really helped me with my anxiety during a very bad time when i was so anxious i was constantly feeling depersonalised.

i took 20mg.

i now take 10mg which according to my GP is not enough to make a lot of difference really.

but overall i feel it helped me immensely.

theconjuror
14-07-17, 16:08
Thanks all. I was a long time prozac user with good results, but with this relapse my GP kept pushing for a switch to something "less stimulating". The psychiatrist eventually went with celexa. Thankfully I have klonopin to take the edge of, but I am still so anxious. Of course the med change contributes to my anxiety too.