PDA

View Full Version : Is this just ocd intrusive thought ?

scareeed
14-07-17, 11:52
Im 32 male with GAD for abouth 3 months, i have a huge fear of shizophrenia,and i read all kind of stuff about shizophrenia online and now i started to look syptomps in me. Example: read about paranoia and at work i said to myself evryone is against me, water is poisened but i know its not true and i keep drinking that water every day...Than i become afraid that thouse thoughts are thouse voices that shizophrenics hear....and on and on...is this the begining of shizophrenia or jus intrusive thought keep coming.No one in my family has had shizophrenia or any kind of psyhosis.

AntsyVee
14-07-17, 18:20
Yes. This is CLASSIC OCD.

What are you doing to treat your OCD?

scareeed
14-07-17, 21:57
Im taking zoloft 50mg on day, and basicly thats it, and i should mention i have alcohol problems, i have a lots of friends and we like to get drunk at least 2 times a week.

AntsyVee
15-07-17, 00:02
Well, I think you need to work on the alcohol issue. What's the point of taking the Zoloft when you're just working against it by getting drunk 2x a week?

MyNameIsTerry
15-07-17, 01:34
Paranoia, like anxiety, are something all people experience and judging whether it a problem is about how irrational it is and how intense. Also, anxiety & paranoia often come together when you are suffering higher anxiety levels. I've been though it at the higher stages of my anxiety and it goes as you bring the anxiety down.

Remember that this is all built on the fight or flight being engaged too much so surely paranoia in whether there is a bear around the next corner is rational in that system?

Someone with schizophrenia experiencing episodes of psychosis or delusion won't be able to think that these thoughts are wrong. You did. They would be completely bound by them as being reality.

Voices can be heard for many reasons, even intense periods of stress or emotional distress such as in bereavement, but they are very clear as compared to the internal voices of our thoughts.

Anxiety themes aren't just about internalised issues, they can include poisoning, emotional contamination (contracting negative personality traits from immoral people, etc), external harms, accidents, etc.

So, yes it's intrusive thoughts. And well done for not running away from them because you still exposure yourself to the fear of drinking the water.

As for the drinking, twice a week isn't an issue but it depends if you are bingeing. It's not a good idea to be drinking early on in treatment though as you most likely will struggle with the after effects of it. And many antidepressants recommend against heavy drinking as you need to be aware of the possible additive effects on your CNS. Moderate drinking may be ok but check out the interaction checker on Drugs.com (use ethanol for alcohol) which is more precise than the drug leaflets.

scareeed
15-07-17, 12:35
Thank you both for answers.Terry how do you know that much stuff about all that, did you fattend medical school or you just have a lot of experiance with anxiety ocd....?

scareeed
20-07-17, 09:57
How can person notice the difrence between intrusive thought - the thought you dont believe in and the thought you belive in and think its tru?example: I constatly have thought about crazy stuff like psyhosis thought (evryone is a part of a secret organisation and they are all against me) , its freaking me , icant calm down when i get thought like that. How can i know that its just stupid thought or that its really what i belive in ?

AntsyVee
20-07-17, 19:49
Intrusive thoughts are extremely irrational. They don't make sense.

For example, you said, "Everyone is part of a secret organisation and they are all against me." That's completely irrational. Why are you so special that a secret organization is working just to take you down? It's a stupid thought; if you really believed in it, you'd be acting on it already.

What you are posting right now is OCD. I have a friend with OCD. You sound just like her before she started taking medication.

scareeed
22-07-17, 15:11
I know its irrational,but its scares me a lot, if i have thouse crzy thought maybe that means im crazy im psihotic....? When i deal with one intusive thought i think its over and than got another one also irrational stupid crazy thought and on and on, i keep asking myself is that normal will i be normal again without thouse thoughts or at least without concentraiting and anlyzing it...its so anoying .Thanks again for all replys.

AntsyVee
23-07-17, 00:59
You're never going to be "normal" in the sense that you get rid of OCD. OCD, like most mental illnesses, is a life-long condition. It's doesn't mean that you're doomed though. Many people with OCD, using a combination of therapy, meds, self-help techniques/books, lifestyle changes, etc. can lead a normal life. Like any medical condition, it's just something that you have to learn how to deal with. It won't go away by doing nothing.

MyNameIsTerry
23-07-17, 02:23
You're never going to be "normal" in the sense that you get rid of OCD. OCD, like most mental illnesses, is a life-long condition. It's doesn't mean that you're doomed though. Many people with OCD, using a combination of therapy, meds, self-help techniques/books, lifestyle changes, etc. can lead a normal life. Like any medical condition, it's just something that you have to learn how to deal with. It won't go away by doing nothing.

I disagree. Mine only came in my mid thirties and was triggered by a med. I have eliminated most of my compulsions and the intrusive thoughts are gone too.

It may be chronic, but not necessarily lifelong.

Chrysmar09
23-07-17, 02:30
I too think my obsessions were triggered by my paxil experience.... I have always had health anxiety though all of my life...

MyNameIsTerry
23-07-17, 02:41
I too think my obsessions were triggered by my paxil experience.... I have always had health anxiety though all of my life...

I've heard other OCDers say the same but the meds differ. Mine ramped up my anxiety far worse than I had been since it started and thats where the OCD came.

Treating the overall anxiety levels has removed much of the strength of my OCD themes hence allowing me to tackle them more directly. I couldn't get anywhere in therapy tackling my OCD until I looked toward my primary disorder, my GAD.

My GAD only came at 30 too. Before that I had never had an anxiety disorder. Work stress and lack of healthy behaviours pushed me to a breakdown and that's where it all came from for me.

My dad suffered a couple of years of depression in his thirties. It stopped him working, had him in bed for weeks on end, he took meds (no therapy or Claire Weekes types back then). Some say it will always come back. He's bee free of it ever since, over 40 years. In that time he's lost many brothers & sisters to old age illnesses (some cancer, some dementia), been in accidents, witnesses a serious car accident where they had to keep a man alive until the ambulance got there (he later died), seen friends die, etc and it hasn't triggered anything in him other than given him a shock that anyone would have. He says he changed his thinking and that's the key.

Obviously each disorder can be different but I don't believe medical professionals know enough to say they can't be beaten.

AntsyVee
23-07-17, 04:20
I disagree. Mine only came in my mid thirties and was triggered by a med. I have eliminated most of my compulsions and the intrusive thoughts are gone too.

It may be chronic, but not necessarily lifelong.

What I meant is, once you get OCD, you usually are dealing with it the rest of your life. Most people don't wake up one day and poof!..their OCD is magically gone. They have to work at it. Just like you probably didn't just wake up one morning with it...I'm assuming it came on with a build-up of stress over some time.

MyNameIsTerry
23-07-17, 05:00
What I meant is, once you get OCD, you usually are dealing with it the rest of your life. Most people don't wake up one day and poof!..their OCD is magically gone. They have to work at it. Just like you probably didn't just wake up one morning with it...I'm assuming it came on with a build-up of stress over some time.

Nope. It came from a med. Prior to that I didn't have OCD and had no more traits than anyone else. Not a build up of any stress since I had GAD for about 4-5 years prior to this from my breakdown. I had no anxiety issues other than the odd wobble here & there in life like anyone else prior to the GAD.

I respect your opinion though. It doesn't have to just go, it can be worked on until your recover. Recovery doesn't have to mean management. It may be for some that it is something that runs deeper than behavioural but I don't believe that's the case for everyone.

Whether I will be able to remove it completely I don't know (or rather normalise it to the traits many can have from OCD yet have no anxiety disorder ever diagnosed) but many of my themes are gone totally now so it's a WIP for me.

AntsyVee
23-07-17, 07:22
Nope. It came from a med. Prior to that I didn't have OCD and had no more traits than anyone else. Not a build up of any stress since I had GAD for about 4-5 years prior to this from my breakdown. I had no anxiety issues other than the odd wobble here & there in life like anyone else prior to the GAD.

I respect your opinion though. It doesn't have to just go, it can be worked on until your recover. Recovery doesn't have to mean management. It may be for some that it is something that runs deeper than behavioural but I don't believe that's the case for everyone.

Whether I will be able to remove it completely I don't know (or rather normalise it to the traits many can have from OCD yet have no anxiety disorder ever diagnosed) but many of my themes are gone totally now so it's a WIP for me.

Wow, that's really weird. I've never, ever heard of anyone getting a mental illness from a med (unless it was medical marijuana). Now I've heard of people getting mental illnesses as a result of doing heavy drugs like meth or acid. And usually people who have that happen to them, are considered to have a predisposition for mental illness anyway. Did your doc tell you it was the med that did it?

Before I had PTSD, I always had anxiety and depression since I was a child. Even as early as kinder, I remember have some intrusive thoughts, some magical thinking, and coming up with weird things to deal with my anxiety. And my mom has schizoaffective disorder, so I'm pretty sure my anxiety and depression are genetically passed on to me (Thanks, mom :P)

So for me, recovery is management. And for most of the people I know with anxiety and depression, that's there case too. They've have issues since they were young. My buddy with OCD, even before she was diagnosed when we were in college, was always an anxious worry wart.

scareeed
23-07-17, 09:10
It doesnt make any sense, you people had GAD and started using meds SSRI and because of that you gor OCD, than whats the purpose of meds than. I also have a filling zoloft is not helping me with mine intrusive thoughts and fear :(

AntsyVee
23-07-17, 19:26
It doesnt make any sense, you people had GAD and started using meds SSRI and because of that you gor OCD, than whats the purpose of meds than. I also have a filling zoloft is not helping me with mine intrusive thoughts and fear :(

I never got OCD from using meds. My friend who has OCD is using meds to make her intrusive thoughts go away. Terry would be an extreme exception, not the rule. And if you look at the other circumstances surrounding his case, he had adult-onset, which is also very rare. Most of us who end up with these mental illnesses have issues starting in childhood, if you'd read through my responses.

What is your dosage of Zoloft right now? How long have you been on it?

Phuzella
23-07-17, 19:34
I tried to delete my post cos I posted on the wrong thread :D

scareeed
23-07-17, 20:04
Im taking 50mg but not regularly cuz i probably have alcohol problems...One thing i dont understand about us who have intrusive thought. We know its irrational its stupid unreal thought, than why the hell are thouse thoughts so anoying for us and why are we so scared of it ,i keep on worrying and anlyzing them...im exhausted because of it.

AntsyVee
23-07-17, 20:23
Taking 50 mg but not regularly is pointless. Zoloft and other antidepressants work by building up in your system. If you're just taking it randomly, it will never do that. Also, it could be making your anxiety symptoms worse because you're not allowing your body to get used to it. You're basically making your own problems worse.

If I were you, I'd work on the alcohol issue first, and then start the Zoloft once you can dutifully take it every day. How much alcohol are you drinking a day?

scareeed
23-07-17, 21:14
3-4 times a week 5-6-7 beers. This week i had birthday so i party a lot , and also when i drink alcohol i feel completley calm and without any intrusive thouths and anxiety..

AntsyVee
23-07-17, 23:40
Have you discussed your alcohol use with your doctor? At your rate of usage, you are bordering on dependence.

When did you get intrusive thoughts and anxiety? Have you always had them or have they only started when you've stopped drinking?

scareeed
24-07-17, 09:11
Doctor only asked me if i can stop drinking by myself or i caould join AA group but i dont think its that seriouse problem with alcholol. I got my anxiety and intrusive thoughts few months ago when i got in to a argument with frend probably and a lot of anger stuck in me , cuz i always avoided conflicts instead of telling evrything directly and empty this anger feeling inside me. At least i think this is the reason for my anxiety.

AntsyVee
24-07-17, 15:40
If you've only had your intrusive thoughts for a few months, I would seriously consider that they might be caused by your alcohol use. If you've become dependent on alcohol (with your rate of drinking is likely), then your anxiety could come from alcohol withdrawal. Withdrawal causes anxiety, intrusive thoughts, physical pain, anger, shakiness, irritability...all of the things you have been experiencing.

If I were you, I'd talk to your doc about this again. You told your doc that you could stop drinking on your own, but you haven't. I think it's also time to start going to AA like he suggested. Once you are fully sober for a few months, then you will be able to determine where your anxiety comes from.