PDA

View Full Version : citalopram withdrawal

cobra427
13-05-07, 19:49
Hi

I came off citalopram a week ago after having been on them for 18 months. The highest dose I was on was 40mg and have been reducing gradually over the last 6 months. My GP advised me to take 10mg every day for 2 weeks and then 10mg every other day for 2 weeks and to then stop. Which I did, but by the third day of not taking them, I started to experience a dizzy, woozy feeling, palpitations and just feeling not right - I feel OK in the morning and then as the day goes on I feel worse. Not enough to stop me doing anything but I am aware of these funny sensations. This then makes me dwell on them and so the cycle of anxiety begins again!

Has anyone else experienced something similar - I am really keen to find out before I end up going back to my GP.

Thanks!

DaveG
14-05-07, 19:13
Hello

I was taking Cipralex (Escitalopram) for about a year and experienced exactly what you describe when I reduced my dose/stopped taking them. The worst withdrawal symptom I found was the 'headshocks', where you get dizzy for a split second, very unpleasant!

The withdrawal symptoms can be quite severe but they do fade and eventually stop after a while. Hang in there!

cobra427
15-05-07, 10:38
Thank you for replying - and I am starting to feel a bit better - hopefully my body is getting used to not having the tablets everyday.

DaveG
15-05-07, 16:40
I was only taking 10mg/day so not really a large dose. I was down to 10mg every 3 days but a combination of withdrawal side effects and feeling pretty down meant I put them back up to 10mg/day for a couple of months.

In the end I did something which is not recommended - I stopped taking them altogether. I reckon it was 6 weeks before all the withdrawal symptoms stopped. The dizziness, feeling flushed, palpitations and headshocks really were at times quite unbearable but I felt ok, some days they were worse than others and some days they were hardly noticable.

I guess I was in the right frame of mind to stop taking them, and didn't let the withdrawal get at me.

Two heads
24-05-07, 21:33
Hi all!
I dont think these GP,s really known the best way to drop the meds really.They advised for you to drop down and take every other day,but to my mind that seems almost like teaseing your brain.Almost messing things up even more so.one day your getting meds the next your not.your body doesnt know where its at!
.Its been four weeks now since i stopped meds and like anybody i get the odd day where i feel anxious and maybe a little breathless.I have had no side affects from stopping them other than a few head shocks a few months back when dropping the dose.
I started dropping them in nov and ended four weeks ago.I was on 20mg and every so many weeks i dropped,
nov 20mg to 15mg
jan15mg to10mg
march 10mg to5mg by cutting my tablet
april 5mg to 2.5
Then after that i just had crumbs.I never went aday without a thing.
personally i think thats the way to go.
Good luckxxx

groovygranny
25-05-07, 06:40
Hi Cobra!

People react differently to gong on or coming off medication.

I sort off came off Citalopram purely by accident!

I'd been on 60mg per day and realised I'd missed the odd day here and there - sometimes two days in a row.

I wanted to come off them anyway so went to my GP who advised much the same as yours did - but I didn't take that long, just a week, and was fortunate enough not to have any side effects at all.

Personaly, I must agree with 2heads - I think reducing the dose daily is a much more gently phased way to cut down and stop. Less shock to your system maybe.

Hopefully you're feeling much better by now

Take care

:)

Chellec
10-08-07, 13:39
Hi Cobra

How are you feeling now honey?
Ive been on one a week for a couple of months and my last one is due in a couple of days. I dont know wether to go back to my GP and get more or leave it as it is now. I have been feeling dizzy and breathless but trying to keep myself on the level as best I can
funny enough it was excatly a year yesterday that I had my worst panic attack.

My main concern is that I will go back to feeling how I did before the meds and if so whats the point in taking them in the first place but people have said that the meds restore the seretonin in your brain and its stays there after you have stopped taking the meds. Is this true??

xxxxx

devon_guy
13-08-07, 18:34
I can sympathise entirely, I'm going through it at the moment, took my last tablet 3 days ago and I had so far escaped the head zaps, but they are here with a vengance and I feel really tired. I'm hoping it will wear off soon, the thing is my GP wants to put me on prozac and now I'm off meds I really don't want to go back on more but not sure I can cope without them. I guess having come off Citalopram before I knew about the headzaps this time around so was prepared so not worried about them but they are not pleasant.

devon_guy
14-08-07, 13:25
I feel very fluey and under the weather, is this a withdrawal symptom?

bleeds
06-01-09, 08:44
I have been unwell at every dose drop stomach cramps hot and cold and generally feel down and anxious. First off thought it was a bug but was not. I was at one point on 60mg but have slowly been reducing month on month and it was not until Xmas that I found there was a pattern to my symptoms.Has any one else suffered the same? As I am now on my way down to 10mg in a weeks time and each reduction has got progressivley more ferocious with its affects.

girlnextdoor1988
08-04-09, 22:55
Id been taking citalopram 20mg for about 3 months, then my dose was changed to 30mg which i took for about another 3 months. I tried to stop taking them before, but ended up taking them to relieve myself of the withdrawal symptoms (dizziness, nausea, fatigue). Now Ive quit taking them again and I feel fine for a while in the mornings, but as the day goes on i begin to feel dizzy, tired, sick, and a lot of the time i just feel like crying because I feel so horrible. I dont feel motivated to do very much at all later on in the day, so I try to get things done in the morning--though I have my 9 month old daughter to take care of so its a bit tough at times!

Jan63
08-04-09, 23:15
I came off Citalopram a few weeks ago (20mg) because I ran out and didn't make another appointment at the doctors because I had a few other things going on and I had absolutely no side effects whatsoever coming off them although I must admit I did feel better when I was on them and I am going to go back to the doctors next week to get some more.:)

FreeSpriritedLiss
04-06-09, 10:50
I was put on citalopram 20mg in June 2007. Like you, I came off it simply because I had run out, in October 2007. I was in a new city and I had not registered with a doctor. I have been steadily taking 40mg since October 2008. and I decided to drop my dose to 20mg this week. I have been taking the reduced dose for four days now and I am experiencing mild mania, an increased pulse, difficulty sleeping and irritability. It's making me anxious, but I control it by exercising, writing down my feelings, symptoms and the thoughts that are racing through my head and describing my symptoms to a trusted family member, which really helps.

A big side effect is having thoughts/songs constantly running through my head. My mind won't shut up. Does anybody else experience this?:roflmao:

Dale.
21-06-09, 04:07
Hi all,

First post. A few of weeks ago I was prescriped citalopram because of anxiety, I was suspected to have liver cancer and was starting to get gain a high tolerance of diazepam.

So my GP put me on a course of citalopram to help with the panic attacks and anxiety I was suffering. The first week of taking the drug was hell to say the least, I even developed a rash. My GP took me off them as a result... for the first few days I knew I was going to 'crash' but it's been a week now since I took my last tablet and I am still feeling like rubbish. I can't sleep or anything, mind is racing, dizzyness, I feel worse than when I first started taking them. I am at my wits end and if anything I feel worse!

I know it will pass eventually but surely after a week they'd be out of my system by now?

Since I stopped taking them I have been told that they're "as certain as they can be" that I don't have liver cancer, and taken me off the transplant list and reduced my weeky monitoring to every three months.

Anyway, I'd end up waffling if I continue so I will go back to my original question, is it normal for want of a better word to still feel as rough as I do a week after taken the drug?

Dale

Anxious-in-Canada
21-06-09, 13:40
Dale it is normal, side effects last differently for people but generally speaking most go away after a couple of weeks.

Hang in there and give it time, if after 3 -4 weeks you are still miserable consult with your doctor, maybe the dosage is wrong or you need a different SSRI. Everybody reacts differently to this medication.

I am on day 13 and really starting to feel much better, and 3-4 weeks is when the medication really starts to kick in.

Dale.
21-06-09, 14:09
Thanks for that, I was wondering it was 'me' or something else. It feels like my body is purging it's self of a poison!

Tracy43
22-06-09, 09:21
Interesting reading
The only side effect I have noticed since reducing my dosage is the sweats, I feel hot a lot. Other than that I feel fine. I also believe cutting is slow is the best way for me, I am on 12.5 now after cutting from 15mg, 20mg, 30mg. I only dropped to 12.5 yesterday but so far so good.
Seeing doc today but am going to ignore her if she suggest this on off lark, I dont think its good for the brain to get some then not get some.
Good luck everyone

Ricky945
14-01-10, 17:58
This is exactly how I feel my friend thinks im just overreacting but it gets really bad after 3 or 4 days of not taking a tablet.
I didnt find that the citelopram worked at all apart from as a placebo for the first few weeks, the doctor put me on 40 mg but i found it hard to get an irection :doh: lol so i came off them as my gf was complaining :shrug: lol

do u know the best way to come off the citelopram

JaneC
30-01-10, 01:03
Apologies for posting something this trivial today.

My husband told me this morning he has been forgetting to take his cit, probably has only had it twice in a week.

Would this be enough to cause withdrawal symptoms? He's been very irritable, shouting at the kids a lot, and said he felt "fragile"

suzy-sue
30-01-10, 01:38
Yes im afraid it would ..These types of medications must be taken everyday at the same time .One missed dose is usually ok .But they have a 36hour half dose effect .He may get side effects again when he starts to take them properly again ,but hopefully he wont take long get back on track .Its hard to say as I dont know how many days at once he missed the dose ...If you take them with breakfst each day or just before bed you usually remember to take them .Hope he is ok Luv Sue x

JaneC
30-01-10, 09:42
Thanks Sue, he has MS and has a terrible memory but there's really no excuse for this. He drives me to despair at times :weep:

moks
30-01-10, 21:06
I was put on citalopram 20mg in June 2007. Like you, I came off it simply because I had run out, in October 2007. I was in a new city and I had not registered with a doctor. I have been steadily taking 40mg since October 2008. and I decided to drop my dose to 20mg this week. I have been taking the reduced dose for four days now and I am experiencing mild mania, an increased pulse, difficulty sleeping and irritability. It's making me anxious, but I control it by exercising, writing down my feelings, symptoms and the thoughts that are racing through my head and describing my symptoms to a trusted family member, which really helps.

A big side effect is having thoughts/songs constantly running through my head. My mind won't shut up. Does anybody else experience this?:roflmao:

One of the things Im hoping CIT does for me is SHUT my mind up lol!

Ocelot
02-02-10, 20:40
Hi, first post. I've read this post with interest, and can sympathise with those on the drug. I was wondering if anyone can advise me.

I've been taking citalopram for almost 6 years (first 20mg, then 10mg, then 40mg, then, currently, alternating between 20-40mg daily). Last week I realised my prescription had run out and I have been without for about 5 days. Yesterday, day 4, I had a headache all afternoon, felt light-headed, had sporadic tickling in my heart, had tingly toes and a feeling like something was flickering in either my chest or my head (I'm not sure which). Today I still have all of the above, with the exception of the headache.

I have been wondering what these symptoms could be, but an internet search lead me to believe that these may be CP withdrawal symptoms. My question is: Would these symptoms really come on all at once after only 4 days?

Many thanks for any replies.

suzy-sue
02-02-10, 23:41
Yes im afraid they would ..It leaves the system very quickly but will take a few weeks for the withdrawal effects to completely go .It would have been better to cut down by 5mg or 10 for three weeks at a time to avoid them being severe .You could always go to your Dr and explain whats happened and commence taking 10mg ,Or stick with it and see how you get on .. every one is different ,Hope it doesnt get too unbearable for you ...Take care ...Sue :hugs:

Ocelot
03-02-10, 10:39
Thanks for the reply. The flickering is definately like jolts in my head, which sounds like the head zaps mentioned. I'm not trying to stop just yet, just that my prescription ran out just before the weekend and it takes 2 working days to come through. I've just phoned the pharmacy and they have my new one, so I'll get it tonight and see what happens!

It's good to know I'm probably not suffering from anything other than withdrawal symptoms. I didn't know they could be that strong!

suzy-sue
03-02-10, 11:12
Hi :DThey can be frightening for some especially the head zaps ..Because you have not had any Cit in your system for a few days .What ammount you now have in your system is very minimal.If you go back to taking the ammount you were you will more than likely suffer with more side effects until your body gets used to it again .It would therefor be better to take a lower dose than you were taking .Maybe you should try 20mg a day and see how you go for a couple of weeks ? Its never advisable to just stop taking them as it causes problems of more than one kind ...One missed dose doesnt hurt ,But it leaves the system by a half dose in as little as 36hrs ..Hope you get back on track soon ..Sue :hugs:

Astroboy
03-02-10, 23:55
Hi
Was feeling a bit desperate so read this forum and it's eased my worries.
I had been on a 10mg daily dose of citalopram since last September. I forgot to take my dose a couple of days last week and was beginning to feel better so thought I'd try to stop completely. What a mistake! I've been feeling sick, having headaches, it's affected my appetite and I feel exhausted. All very unbearable. Met my sister for lunch yesterday and felt ok'ish but by the time I got to Tesco to to my shopping was boiling up and thought I was going to pass out! Also get flashes of light in my head (sounds psychodelic, but it's very weird). All these feelings are definitely worse as the day goes on. Sleeping is rubbish too.
Anyway, from what I've read it looks like I'm not dying, going mad or anything quite as bad as that. These symptoms are made worse as I live on my own. I guess I'll just have to start taking the drug again. Wish my GP had warned me though!

martbarr
04-02-10, 09:28
Hi
Was feeling a bit desperate so read this forum and it's eased my worries.
I had been on a 10mg daily dose of citalopram since last September. I forgot to take my dose a couple of days last week and was beginning to feel better so thought I'd try to stop completely. What a mistake! I've been feeling sick, having headaches, it's affected my appetite and I feel exhausted. All very unbearable. Met my sister for lunch yesterday and felt ok'ish but by the time I got to Tesco to to my shopping was boiling up and thought I was going to pass out! Also get flashes of light in my head (sounds psychodelic, but it's very weird). All these feelings are definitely worse as the day goes on. Sleeping is rubbish too.
Anyway, from what I've read it looks like I'm not dying, going mad or anything quite as bad as that. These symptoms are made worse as I live on my own. I guess I'll just have to start taking the drug again. Wish my GP had warned me though!

Hello - no you're definitely NOT dying, going mad or anything..........
If you were that ill you simply could not write well formed and coherent emails like yours. I can promise you that are suffering the same types of things many people here find with these drugs, or lack of!
And your Tesco experience sounds very like panic and anxiety - I get this "boiling up" thing and it's never killed me yet - although it really is horrid.
You could consider resuming the tabs and talking to your doc ?
These pills need to stabilise in your body over time - something to do with half life of the chemicals. And stop starting can make you feel just as you describe.

I'm interested in how you were between September and now as well - did the tablets take a lot of these feelings away?

Take care - and please let us all know how you get on.
Your emails will certainly help many people as well as maybe comfort you a little hopefully.

best wishes
Martin

Astroboy
04-02-10, 11:58
Thanks for your reply Martin. I made a mistake in my initial message last night. I was in fact taking a 20mg dose not 10mg.
Anyway, one of the reasons I thought I,d try to stop taking them was that they made me feel sleepy and not as "sharp" as I was without them. They did make me feel generally happier (or less unhappy) so were doing what they were supposed to do. I think my condtion is worse in the winter when I can't get out and excersise so easily and I miss the sunshine.
I read the citalopram leaflet last night and it did warn of withdrawel symptoms so perhaps I should have read that first! So, I took a 20mg pill last night and will continue to do so then maybe have another go at getting off them in a month or so's time. Will plan to cut the dose to 10mg for a couple of weeks and see if that eases the withdrawel symptoms the worst of which were (are) the headaches and nausea. Really unpleasant!

Ocelot
08-02-10, 20:11
Hi :DThey can be frightening for some especially the head zaps ..Because you have not had any Cit in your system for a few days .What ammount you now have in your system is very minimal.If you go back to taking the ammount you were you will more than likely suffer with more side effects until your body gets used to it again .It would therefor be better to take a lower dose than you were taking .Maybe you should try 20mg a day and see how you go for a couple of weeks ? Its never advisable to just stop taking them as it causes problems of more than one kind ...One missed dose doesnt hurt ,But it leaves the system by a half dose in as little as 36hrs ..Hope you get back on track soon ..Sue :hugs:

Hi. Within a couple of hours of taking them I was back to normal. It was quite amazing. I'm sticking to 20mg for now. My next review is in June, when I suspect I'll gradually taper off. But the withdrawal symptoms are quite surprising.

suzy-sue
08-02-10, 20:17
That is good news .:yesyes:Im glad you are feeling ok now ..They are powerful little pills ..Im sure once you are ready t o come off them if you do it very slowly ,you wont feel half as bad ..Take care Sue x:hugs:

JT69
10-02-10, 13:25
Hi Suzy-sue
I am a new member who is desperate for a bit of advice...I came off 40ml citalopram last week and on Friday my GP started me on 15ml of Mirtazipine. I had been on the cit for around 5 mths (having previously taken them and them being successful). I started on 10ml and slowly increased up to 40ml a dose which I have never taken in the past. To come off them I had to take Fri 20ml, Sat 20ml, Sun 20ml, Mon 10ml, Tue 10ml and wed 10ml Thurs none then started Friday with the Mirt. I think I am suffering both from side effects of new meds and withdrawal of cit. I sleep really well but feel groggy until mid afternoon and have a little odema in hands did check with GP and this is normal at start of tabs), appetite has increased (could do without as am overweight anyhow but trying to eat healthy and excercising) but its these zaps I am getting they are awful...there most of the day and not just in my head in my hand, and legs. I just wondered if you knew how long these will last??? Driving me mad!!! LOL!!! Having taken cit in the past I was aware of the zaps but in the past I have always reduced slowly so they have not been as bad. Good job I am signed off work at the moment cos I just couldnt cope with it feeeling like this. Any advice???
Jo.

suzy-sue
10-02-10, 14:04
Hi Jo ,that was a quick process of changing over meds .:ohmy:.To get the new dose of Mirtazapine settled will take abt 4-6 weeks .The Citalopram withdrawals could last for the same time its hard to say .Some people dont feel bad at all after the first week ..By the time the Mirtazapine is stable the withdrawals /zaps will be reduced considerably .It is common for you to get the odd one after that so dont worry if you do .Because you are on a different drug all this will feel quite awful for a while ,i m sorry you have to go through this .:hugs:The first couple of weeks will be the worse ,and after that you will start to feel slightly better .Keep posting and remember you are not alone ..Try to take each day at a time, and drink plenty of water ,Cit leaves the body via your urine ..All the best Hun Luv Sue xx:hugs:

JT69
10-02-10, 14:11
Hi Suzy-sue
Thankyou so much for that advice, it really helps to know that someone else understands.JO.x

JT69
11-02-10, 10:42
Morning Sue, Are you taking mirtazapine at present and have you taken citalopram in the past too?? I did not sleep as well last night but still woke up groggy etc (not too bad sleep) been having wierd dreams (all nice though). I started to drink alot of water to try and flush the horrid cits out but am still getting the zaps around my body, I shall continue. I cannot leave the house at the moment because I just feel too spaced out. By mid afternoon I start to feel a bit more myself and usually enjoy the end part of the day. I am signed from work for another 3 weeks yet. And as i have been off for around 4 and half mths I am going back on a re-hab programme till I build back up to full-time. Do you know if the side effects wear off gradually or if I will just wake up one morning and feel alot better. I feel really down today where the past few days have felt o.k. Is this normal do you think? I also read somewhere that an increase in dose reduces the sleepiness during the day??? I dont think I am posting this under the correct (citalopram withdrawal) but I wanted to connect with you. I have also left some postings under mirtazipine just started. Hope you can help. Thankx. Jo.x

suzy-sue
11-02-10, 11:06
Morning Jo ..I was on Mirtazapine and am currently on Citalopram ..I had a bad reaction to Mirtaz ,it made me feel suicidal .I was put on Cit after and had every side effect going ,,But they did settle and I feel pretty good ,its been worth it all ..Your withdrawals will go gradually ,so will the side effects from the Cit ..The tiredness is a side effect but also a withdrawal effect .This will improve with time as you get used to the drug .Increased doses in my experience have made it worse not better .Mornings are my worst ,Sometimes changing when you take it can make it better ,Wait until its stabilised first tho .Feeling down is common so dont worry ,Just focus on each day and try not to worry about tommorow ,It can be a rollercoaster for a while .Some days will be better than others ,so make the most of them ..Keep posting and it will be nice to read back when you are feeling better .You will be able to see how far youve come .Take care and try to believe it will soon be better .Positive thinking really helps when you feel like you do at the moment .Hugs Sue :hugs:xx

JT69
11-02-10, 14:47
Hi Sue, thanks for that. I am feeling a bit better now, a friend visited this morning and I just felt so spaced out when she was here, my speech even felt like it was slurring (she totally understands though as she has had depression herself). I went on the treadmill for 45 mins and just held on whilst I marched I find this helps. Find I cannot eat until the afternoon either but then am starving so trying hard not to stuff myself as I dont need to put on weight as well. I just take each day as it comes at the moment. Cannot even leave the house at present though as i feel so out of sorts. Still one day. Thanks. Jo.x

suzy-sue
11-02-10, 17:38
Hi jo .glad you felt better and you are getting some excercise ..It will help with the side effects if you eat small ammounts of healthy food throught the day ,instead of eating just once .Even a low fat yoghurt or something .Its important too for blood sugar levels .This can cause even more dizzyness .Its sweet things and carbs that are the things to avoid .I didnt go out for 3 weeks so I know how you feel at the moment .Take the time to tackle all those things youve been putting off doing ,The treadmill sounds exhausting lol Take care Sue x:hugs:

JT69
12-02-10, 11:10
Hello Sue. Today I woke at 7.45 and did not feel quite as sleepy etc, I still have the zaps if anything they are even worse but I am just trying to not let them get to me. I did an hour on the treadmill and just held on to the sides, wont let these zaps beat me!!! Hopefully they will calm down soon and just become occasional rather than all the time. i read somewhere yesterday that someone who is taking mirtazipine their physcartirist (cant spell it) has talked about putting them also on a srri which obviously citalopram belongs to this group of meds. If this being the case then I wonder why my Gp did not take me off cit slower and introduce mirt at the same time??? Physcartirists have much more knowledge than gp's and it is really annoying at times. Still one day at a time. Going to take it easy the rest of the day and watch a couple of dvd's etc while I feel like it. Its just nice to be rid of that awful anxiety and depressed feeling for a change and feel half normal. Sod off you Zaps!!! lol!!! Jo.x

suzy-sue
13-02-10, 00:04
:yesyes:Your doing well Jo ..Hope you enjoyed the dvds ? Distraction is a good thing if you can ..Im pleased your anx and depression has lifted I expect your Dr did what he did for quickness ,otherwise it would have taken a lot longer .You would have had the side effects anyway ...Sounds like you are moving in the right direction .Keep going and the worst will be over before you realise ..Have a good w/e Luv Sue x:hugs:

JT69
13-02-10, 14:24
Hi Sue Thanks for that. I actually ventured out to wash the car today, was terrified the neighbours would come out and ask how I was (they are very nice but extremely nosy and know I have been off work for quite some time). Well I put my mp3 earphones in hoping they took the hint and they never bothered me. Trouble was it started to snow as I went out there....they must of thought me mad anyhow!!!! I felt a bit out of sorts whilst I was out there the zaps continuing but I just pushed on regardless and managed to do it!!! Am hoping that I can venture to the shops next week??? We shall see. My problem is once I start to feel a little better I just do far too much and end up feeling totally drained of all energy. I never learn. My big hurdle to come is my return to work and I just hope that I am lucky to feel the benefit of a good couple of weeks before my return. In the past the thought of going back to work has brought back the anxiety and have usually managed to wether the storm and just hoping that I will be able to do that again as I know that once back and in my usual routine it will help me further. It very difficult as I am a manager, so its not that easy as I have to manage people and they will bound to all be looking at me to see how they find me. Strange as it seems though sometimes you can feel absolutely dreadful inside but on the outside look perfectly normal. Today feels nice and I could shout from the roof tops!! Just hope it lasts!! Hope you have good weekend too. Love Jo.x

martbarr
13-02-10, 17:56
can feel absolutely dreadful inside but on the outside look perfectly normal

Yep know exactly what you mean by that !!!

M

suzy-sue
13-02-10, 23:45
Yes I do know that feeling too ..The trouble was when I stopped trying to look ok ..too much effort ..:lac:Many of us will identify with that .I used to avoid people too ,id even walk with my head down in my own garden to avoid people ,:lac:Not like me at all as im pretty sociable .Im glad your pushing through Jo ,and so what if your neighbours think your crazy washing your car in the snow :ohmy::wacko::roflmao:Cars need to be cleaned whatever the weather ..As for work ,im sure once you get there things wont be as bad as you anticipate ,they never are ,Just concentrate on one day at a time ,plenty of time to think of work .Forget about it now ..You may find a extra strength cod liver oil pill helps with the zaps .Seven seas does one for 3.99 ..Omega fish oils help with brain function and are recommended for head zaps .not a cheap brand or low strength tho .You need to try hard to not overdo things for a while ,it saps your energy and doesnt do you any favours .Everything in moderation ..It will be a useful tool to use after as well ,Nerves need rest ..Its finding a balance that works and can keep you feeling at your best for most of the time ..Keep it up you are another day nearer your goal .Hope tommorow is a good day .Luv Sue x:hugs:

JT69
14-02-10, 12:56
Hi Sue you are such an inspiration to me "thankyou":). I had a bit of a blip in the evening last night, i was doing dinner (nothing too strenuous) but came over all funny and felt bit spaced out and odd. I think I just probably over did it yesterday and it suddenly hit me. The trouble is with me I am such an active person I am not used to sitting around and resting etc. When I am well I just dash around and really never make much time for myself...going forward i know this has to change. I need to find a way to relax more and take time out for myself. i have listened to what you have said and will really try take it a bit easier. I think I am trying to run before I can walk. But honestly these zaps are really getting to me...I wish they would slow down or just go...they are with me all the time and its really difficult. I am due back at the GP next Friday so hoping they are a little easier by then or I dont think I will be able to get to the GP's. Luckily I dont have to drive it is just a short walk away. This will be the second week I havnt been out of the house. I dont mind...if I know it is just temporary. i keep thinking that these zaps are never going to go and will be with me for the rest of my life. Will get some of the cod liver oil pills and give them a go. Thanks for keeping in touch with me you are my life saver at the moment. Love Jo.x

KK77
14-02-10, 15:45
Hello Jo

Sorry you're having a tough time with the brain zaps/withdrawals. I had these when I came off paroxetine (Seroxat) after 7 years and there's not much you can do about them, but rest assured that they do gradually ease off. I found that being on the computer looking at the screen for long periods could set them off. But it was worse at night when I was getting off to sleep. They would jolt me awake.

I've read that Benadryl can help with withdrawals although I never knew at the time to try it. CLO/Omega could also be useful as Sue says too.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

JT69
14-02-10, 16:50
Hello Melancholia, thanks for that. Very helpful when you know you are not the only one experiencing things. It feels like they are never going to go. Its more noticable as I just cannot leave the house at the moment with them they are just too severe. Good to know they will go eventually.....may try benadryl but just wonder if they will react with the mirtazipine I am taking at the mo. Do you know if they would??? Thanks for your posting. Jo.

KK77
14-02-10, 17:04
may try benadryl but just wonder if they will react with the mirtazipine I am taking at the mo. Do you know if they would???

No, wouldn't have thought so. You could always ask the pharmacist where you buy it just to be sure but I've taken it with other meds and had no problems. Just watch out for tiredness - so may be better to take before bed.

Hope that helps.

suzy-sue
15-02-10, 12:52
Thanks Jo :hugs:glad to be of some small help ..Things somehow dont seem as bad when you dont feel you are on your own .Hope you had a nice day yesterday ? The Benadryl is excellent if you are having sleep probs ,but as Melacholia says it can make you feel very drowsy ,,If you take it try half a dose first it may be all you need ..The zaps must be awful all the time hun ,plenty of distraction is all you can do .Its a waiting game .Im the same as you with all the activity ,but since I got ill I have changed my attitude towards things ..Otherwise i think I will just end up back to square one ..:lac::scared15:It has been very effecive ,but its hard to break the habits of a lifetime lol.Persevere ,it will help with the anxiety as its all down to an unbalanced nervous system .We need to look after that .Nerves need rest to keep stable ,its no good firing on full cylinders ,they blow otherwise Every thing in moderation ...Have a good day .and everything will get better soon remember that ..Luv Sue x

JT69
15-02-10, 13:26
Hi Sue, not having a very good day of it today. Feel really heavy and bloated (especially in my fingers) only managed half hour on the treadmill it was all just too much today. I think I pushed myself too much yesterday and am suffering today for it. I try so hard to do the normal day to day things and somedays it just feels like I just cant do it, its hard to explain but its like I'm being very clumsy and my body just really aches, especially today. Before I became ill I was the type of person who rushes around and does everything at such a pace. I have read your post above and think that I need to try and listen to my nerves and slow down again!!! Its just so hard though because I want to be like I was and think I will never be that again. I know that I need to change alot of things and I do need to slow down a bit as this was one of the contributors to the illness in the first place, but feeling like this gets me down. I have made an appointment with my Gp for Friday (he said to see him after 2 weeks), I just hope I will be able to walk round there by then. Zaps still there and seem even worse with the way I am feeling today. I feel like I have taken 2 steps forward and 3 back...perhaps it a bit of pmt as well. Sorry to rant on, just helps to get it all off my chest. Do you work Sue?? I have 3 weeks to turn myself around and hopefully return on the 8th March but tell myself if I am not then I will just have to take longer but I know once back it will help me even further. Thanks for helping me Sue. love Jo.x

martbarr
15-02-10, 13:53
Also worth checking out inositol powder.
I haven't had the zaps thankfully
but the powder has very much calmed me down, and helps sleep a lot I think.
Dear though.
I just take half a uk teaspoon before bed, and sometimes the same in the day if I feel anxious.

JT69
15-02-10, 16:57
Hi Matt what is inositol powder and where do you buy it??? Not heard of that before. Is it herbal? Jo.

martbarr
15-02-10, 17:23
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swanson-100%25-Pure-Inositol-Powder----8oz-(227-Gram)_W0QQitemZ140376397482QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=11c9f3931250a0e20570e6e0fdf7512e (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swanson-100%25-Pure-Inositol-Powder----8oz-%28227-Gram%29_W0QQitemZ140376397482QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id =&rvr_id=&cguid=11c9f3931250a0e20570e6e0fdf7512e)

no I'm not a seller - but that's what I use!
(duck)

Cheers
Martini

JT69
15-02-10, 20:54
Hey up Mart, thanks for that. Jo.

suzy-sue
19-02-10, 15:56
How you feeling today Jo ? How did the appointment go at the Drs ..? I believe it was today or im having a citalopram moment lol.I did reply to your other post again on the other forum .Let me know how you doing ..Take care SUE XX:hugs::hugs:

JT69
20-02-10, 12:10
Hi Sue, got muddled up with the threads (having a senior moment) Had appointment yesterday and it went well. Decided to stay on the 15mg. Had really good chat with GP, he didnt give me anything for the fulid retention though which is pretty bad in my hands today. I had a really good day yesterday, after the doctors I went to the local shops and then in the afternoon I actually went food shopping with my husband. That did feel wierd (it felt like everything was going on around me but I wasnt really there if you know what I mean???) very odd, not really very nice but I went with it and managed to stay in the store and help with the shopping. Today is not quite as good (was spoilt yesterday as by evening I actually felt just about 100% normal). I got up today and started back up on the treadmill (I am terrified of putting on weight with the mirtazipine as I am overweight to start with). I did take it easy and managed an hour of marching. I now feel totally exhausted and very heavy so going to chill today as am on my own (they've all gone out):weep:!! No, hubby so deserves it (he's gone football) he has been an absolute rock to me all I have been thru. And its prob just as well daughter out as she is a typical teen (drives me mad). Gp told me to take small steps and not leaps (he knows my personality, the moment I feel o.k I just totally over-do it and I know I have to change as that is why I am in this place at the moment. Months of just pushing myself and I just burned out. I have to go back in 2 weeks time to see him to see if I am ready to go back to work on the 8th.....if not then I will just take a little more time...my manager is very supportive. At least when I do go back it wont be full time straight away. Thakyou so much for keeping in touch with me (your post the other day turned my whole day around). I look forward to reading your posts. Hope you find this one. Lots of love Jo.xx

JT69
20-02-10, 14:04
Dear Sue, forgot to mention (how could I) that the "zaps" seem to be easing just a little thankfully...so heading in the right direction...hopefully. It will be easier when I hust have one thing to cope with instead of several. Today I just ache everywhere its so wierd...alsmost like a flu feeling?? Ever heard of that?? Love Jo.xx

suzy-sue
21-02-10, 15:21
Hi Jo just a quick reply ..You do seem to be so much better than a week ago ,its doing what it says on the tin lol ...The zaps can also be caused by going on a new drug as well .But they do settle and dont last ...The ache s and feeling like you have the flu are just anxiety ,it can also cause joint aches ,all dissapears eventually ..Its just the bodys way of adjusting to the new chemical s ...Well done for going shopping .Glad your good periods are lasting longer ,its a good sign ....Hope this helps you in a small way ..Keep fighting the good fight ...your doing well hun ..xxluv Sue xx:hugs:

JT69
21-02-10, 17:59
Hi Sue, thanks for that...its like talking to my GP when I talk to you...you have so much knowledge. I hope you dont mind me reffering to you but htere are so many negatives on here too (even though there needs to be I understand that) but when you feel like this you find one and then start to panic!!! I have lost my voice completely today and have a raging sore throat!! How that has happened when I have hardly left the house I'll never know. At least its quite round here and i cant shout at the children!!! Lol!! Love Jo.xx:D

martbarr
21-02-10, 19:14
Hi Sue, thanks for that...its like talking to my GP when I talk to you...you have so much knowledge. I hope you dont mind me reffering to you but htere are so many negatives on here too (even though there needs to be I understand that) but when you feel like this you find one and then start to panic!!! I have lost my voice completely today and have a raging sore throat!! How that has happened when I have hardly left the house I'll never know. At least its quite round here and i cant shout at the children!!! Lol!! Love Jo.xx:D

Hi southern Jo

Hope I'm not being one of them there negative ones you're on about!
I do moan, but only in a man sort of way and that never counts.
As you probably know men don't actually have the "moaning" gene - it's just not physically possible for us to grumble or complain.

Hope you're voice comes back in time for the children's telling off,
not that I imagine they ever need such a thing!

:hugs: Martino

fundinglez
21-02-10, 19:47
hey people i was wondering if anyone can help me, i stopped taking citalipram a week ago, (this is day 9) er...i did gradually stop them....i was on 60mg, then 40mg, then20 then went down to 10mg then 10 every other day, then one day on 2days off and now nothing up until day 6 i was fine but i seem to be feeling really wierd, at first i though maybe im just run down/tierd, i have been working radiculously hard at work latley, er day 6 i started to get these head whooshy things, feeling dizzy and like i couldnt walk in a straight line, now im in bed with flu like symptoms, feeling like im hungover but with no drink involved, my head feels really tight and my jaw is acheing, my vision seems to be very judderery like sumthing is vibrating my eye ballls but only last's a second then it goes away but then comes back agin, is this a withdraral thing or am i ill........its a bit scarey.....help!!! x

suzy-sue
21-02-10, 20:27
Hi :DSorry you are feeling a a bit rough .You are experiencing withdrawals . Everything you are going thru right now is down to the brain adjusting to not having the Citalopram .If you read thru the last few pages you will see some of my other posts on this ,It would be better if you could have a bit of time off of work, to get you through the worst if at all possible .Hope you manage to get some reassurance ,Dont worry ,it all passes with time ..Hope you feel better soon LUV sue x:hugs:

fundinglez
21-02-10, 21:21
thank u sue...i feel like im climbing the walls at the moment...didnt xpect this at all its really bad, bloody things are so hard to get off does neone know how long this last for?:weep:

JT69
22-02-10, 12:26
Hi Northern Mart, actually I was born up North so am really a Northerner myself, moved to the South when I met my hubby, dont have the strong accent though as I supose you dont really. No, you are not one of the negative ones!!!! I didn't mean it to sound that way as everyone experiences different things. Byt you are quite funny so keep posting. Jo.

JT69
22-02-10, 12:29
Hi fundinglez, I have had these experiences in the past and agree with Sue they will pass, its just not very nice at the time. Bless you. I feel for you. Promise that it will pass. I am in the process of changing meds and have been suffering from withdrawal of srri's for the past 2 weeks but they are getting less and less now, bear with it and before you know it they will be gone. Good luck. JO.

martbarr
22-02-10, 12:51
.....you are quite funny ....

Now you sound just like my wife!!!!!

:)M

JT69
22-02-10, 12:53
:)

suzy-sue
22-02-10, 14:40
Was reading your other thread Jo .I do think you have a virus or infection ,The symptoms are too severe for side effects or withdrawals hun ,,They can make you cold ..hot .shivery and achey .tho ..I replied to the Mirt thread ..Take care and hope you feel better soon ..Luv Sue x:hugs:

kerryalice
09-10-10, 09:03
Hi, i am a 22 year old student, I stopped taking citalopram a week ago because the drug was giving me all sorts of side effects...i felt although i had been poisioned, i had pain in the left of my abdomen, i kept going light headed...i convinced myself i had some sort of horrific illness! After reading that other people had suffered similar effects i decided to go cold turkey on the tablets....the past week i have felt AWFUL i feel spaced out, i keep getting sensation of falling, i keep feeling pulses in my brain, my vision is blurred, my stomach is in knots, im shattered and pale...i could go on! I am gettin worried that i will never feel like me again, my depression is less of an issue now purely because the citalopram have caused me to worry more about my physical health....help me can anyone tell me how long this withdrawal will last? will i ever feel normal again ? :(

cimon
18-01-11, 21:18
I been cutting down for 2 weeks. Taking 5mp
alternative days. Hoping for improvement with erectile dysfunction.
Im finding sleep helps with the side effects with withdrawal.

cimon
19-01-11, 00:39
I once tried coming off Seroxat. My GP suggested citalopram first and this seems to be working.

jeanettek
19-01-11, 14:03
hi cobra,

i to am trying to come of citalopram after two yrs on 40mg daily, my doc had me take 30mg 2days a wk like a monday and thursday for 2wks and 40mg the other days then and increase to 3days spread out for two wks and so on until i was at 30mgs daily completely ive stayed at 30mgs daily for 6 wks and ready to start the process again to 20mgs, (next wk) i found this method to work so far as i havent noticed any severe side effects, and doc told me to take as much time as possible an not rush process, i am however nervous about 20mgs daily as i tried a different method of withdrawl that went from 40mg to 30mg to 20mg daily two wk intervals and had terrible side effects, or that when i get to 20mgs daily it wont be enough to stop my anxiety levels , and i wont be able to cope without it , my decsion to come of citalopram was that i felt i had got better, but felt that my moods had become flat and that i was neither up or down just plodding along, so after some counselling and a promise to myself to excercise every 2nd day (daily if can keep motivated ;) ) to keep feelings of depression at bay to i am looking forward to my future with positive thoughts!!!

Mazzym
06-06-11, 17:28
Hi All I am on week 3 of no citalopram after a very slow withdrawel 20mg to 15mg to 10mg to 5mg to 2.5mg to crumbs each step taking me at least 3 months but I am suffering with terrible light headness ever since the final dose, feels like I am about to fall and feel floaty. Its worse as the day goes on. Is this normal and how long do you think its going to go on for ?

Waves
29-07-11, 21:58
Hi,

I was just wanted to find out how long it takes to come off Citalopram? I have been on a reducing dose for 2 weeks. After the first week I thought my A&D was coming back, with the usual familiar fearful feelings arising once again. Now nearly 3 weeks on I feel better.
I have been taking 10mg for 7 months, for anxiety and mild depression.
I still feel like my head is wraped in cotton wool, dizzy and poor concetration. Not sure if this is the withdrawl or that I am not ready to come off the Citalopram.

Anybody got any answers??

Many Thank
Waves x

bugrud
22-08-11, 14:30
dear jt69
i have just joined and am experiencing a similar change over of meds - having been on 40mg citalopram since january this year - 20 mg for previous 3 years my doctor has moved me overnight to 30 mg mirtazapine

i think its fairly brave of him considering the e-mail i wrote to get him to this action - in other words after a car crash - which seems to be my "trigger" i had one anxiety / depresion episode 4th July - was getting better then for no apparent reason ( other than deciding to paint the house cos i felt a bit better !!) on 12th august staretd to decline into the by now familiar anxiety / depression cycle again!!

so he phoned me and said tomorrow am do not take your citalopram and at night take your new 30 mg mirtazapine

so now is it any wonder i feel zonked - but reading your posts has reassured me all these feelings are withdrawal and starting symptoms - so i do thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your story - i will be joining this site now and have been really really reassured by everyones stories

side effects for me so far - puffy hands , good sleeps first 2 nights - now day 5 woke really early and feel like i didnt sleep at all -body feels like its pumped up racing , but also feel extremely dopey hahahaha- if it wasnt serious it,d be hilarious - in fact its a bit like menopause - anything goes xxxxxxxxxxxx

antarctica
23-08-11, 05:32
Dear All,

thank-you for sharing your stories - this has been so helpful. I have been reducing my citalopram from 20mg a day (can't remember how long I have been taking it). I was going through the whole whooshing head thing, but now sitting up in middle of night after massive panic attack - so reckon I'm not ready to come off yet - just taken one :(

but all the stuff you have posted is going to help me next time - reducing down to crumbs - i reckon that's the way i will go. Like other earlier posters I too reckon that the docs don't have a clue how to advise on reduction - hope they're reading all this stuff.

Thank-you all again!!

Bruffy1983
25-09-11, 22:45
Just read all of your responses, thank you guys, it was really helpful.

I have only been on the citalopram for 4 months and I didn't really feel it was benefiting me so I came off them cold turkey 2 weeks ago and ever since I have been having the strangest dizzy spells and yesterday I even fainted at my cousins wedding.

I am going back to the doctors tomorrow but do u think that I should go back on them? Xx

cathycrumble
06-10-11, 21:16
Hi bruffy1983

How are you now have you managed to stay off them. I am starting to reduces my cit I came off cold turkey last march I was taking 40mg I had been on them for 6 months and felt better. But coming off like I did was a bad move. so I went back on them 4 months ago I feel a bit better but not a 100% so I am reducing slowly from today. I hope you are ok? Please let me know how you are doing. I just don't want to be on them anymore so today I have taken 30mg and see how I go on will take them for a couple of weeks.

Cathy xx

Holly Golightly
24-02-12, 21:07
I've been on citalopram for 9 months. Initially 20mg a day but started to reduce dosage 4 weeks ago. For the first 2 weeks I went down to 20mg/10mg alternate days and have been on 10mg daily for last couple of weeks. Was feeling ok and mood-wise am fine. However, earlier this week I had a panic attack whilst driving and thought I was going to crash the car! Have also been getting really weird sensations in my arms and hands - a sort of pins + needles/numb feeling. This has freaked me out a little! Also got tight chest/stomach palpitation feeling. Has anyone else experienced similar?

sam b
23-03-12, 00:09
hi everyone

ive been on 40mg citalopram for a year and half. the doctors are now takeing me of 2 put me on a different tablet. they have put me on 30mg this week which i started last friday den im going 20mg next week and then 10mg.
On tuesday (3 days coming off) i started feeling sick,dizzy and headache. tuesday night i was sick was in bed all day wensday i wasnt sick anymore just very dizzy all the time and feel rough. Today i feel like i cant walk far without feeling like im going fall over and feeling sick all day.
is this normal for coming of citalopram and how last will it last
thank you

karmakonchog
05-06-12, 09:39
Citralopram Withdrawal- The story so far

I read your story with interest and empathy. I was prescribed Sertraline 200mg 18 years ago for OCD. I was also just under 5 years sober from a severe alcohol addiction. I was on Sertraline until two years ago when I had quite severe depression symptoms and my medication was changed to Citralopram 30mg. This medication has never suited me and I have suffered from sweats and horrendous nightmares.

4 weeks ago I decided to wean myself off Citralopram altogether 10mg less per week. I have been taking a Homeopathic remedy which has greatly helped any withdrawal symptoms. I am now a week free from Citralopram and, touch wood, apart from a fair amount of sleeping I do not feel too bad. I am convinced that the Homeopathic remedy has been very supportive in my withdrawal.

harrifam
10-06-12, 10:31
Hi, i too am coming of Citalopram and feel crap, hopefully things will improve, think its the woozy head thats the worst, feel like everytime i move my head it takes a few seconds for the brain to catch up. Am taking herbal Kalms as and when just to try to keep the anxiety under control.
Its so nice, not really nice, just to see that others are going through the same and understand

Sharon

Frannywill
12-06-12, 18:35
Hi guys

I feel a bit rough and I'm wondering if it's because I've come off Citalopram. In the last year I've gone all the way up to 60mg and back down to 20mg again.
A few weeks ago I realised id forgotten about 3 days of pills, so in my wisdom I thought sod it I'll just come off. I felt fine… far better than I was when I started them. But last week I started to feel groggy. Amazingly tired, achy, nausious etc. and it's not going awaŷ.
But because it started at least 7days after my last pill, I am not sure if it's just an odd bug or if it is the pills.
I'm sitting with the left over pills beside me wondering if I should restart it. But the side effects when I first started were awful, so I don't want to double my nausious feelings if I'm wrong

Any thoughts?

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

hey people i was wondering if anyone can help me, i stopped taking citalipram a week ago, (this is day 9) er...i did gradually stop them....i was on 60mg, then 40mg, then20 then went down to 10mg then 10 every other day, then one day on 2days off and now nothing up until day 6 i was fine but i seem to be feeling really wierd, at first i though maybe im just run down/tierd, i have been working radiculously hard at work latley, er day 6 i started to get these head whooshy things, feeling dizzy and like i couldnt walk in a straight line, now im in bed with flu like symptoms, feeling like im hungover but with no drink involved, my head feels really tight and my jaw is acheing, my vision seems to be very judderery like sumthing is vibrating my eye ballls but only last's a second then it goes away but then comes back agin, is this a withdraral thing or am i ill........its a bit scarey.....help!!! x

Actually, that's pretty much how I feel! Eek

Endure
31-08-12, 14:01
Hi, just registered after 'Googlin' withdrawal symptoms for Citalopram.
I'm one of those who forgot to take them for a couple of days and then thought 'sod it ! How hard can it be.....' It's been seven days so far and I'm starting to think that at least I'm not going to feel any worse than I did initially.
I was on 40mg for about 2 years. I stopped suddenly - no reduced dosages.
I felt tired and groggy and experienced the "Body Zaps" that someone has mentioned on here. I decided that if I could kick the citalopram then why not "Detox" for a while. So I'm off alcohol, anti-inflammatories and codeine, the lot!!
I'm trying for a whole month.
However about three times now I've experienced a really itchy burning sensation on the soles of my feet, palms of my hands and my tongue! Not a skin surface itch but a really prickly painful sensation which comes and goes similar to the "Body Zaps". After waking the wife and standing in a cold shower for 5 minutes I succumbed to a Piriton - which worked.
I've had the sensation during the early hours 3am / 4am in the night and have always been asleep. After about an hour the feelings subside and become less irritating but then I get pains in my chest - not heart attack pains but shooting pains in my diaphragm area followed by indigestion. This lasts for about another hour. Then nothing - next morning fine - bizzare!!
Anyone tell me how long it takes for the lightheadedness and body zaps to stop?

Sparkle1984
31-08-12, 18:30
Endure - It's not a good idea to suddenly stop taking anti-depressants, especially if you're on 40mg. It's recommended to taper off gradually over a period of weeks, to minimise withdrawal effects.

It is best if you speak to your doctor to discuss a withdrawal plan. It says on the citalopram survival guide (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46980) "If you reduce your dose by more than 5mg in two weeks, you may be at risk from withdrawal effects. Therefore to safely reduce your dose to zero, you must decrease it by NO MORE than 5mg every 2 weeks. Some people will find it takes MUCH longer to successfully come off SSRIs. There is nothing wrong with you if this is the case!"

Endure
04-09-12, 11:44
Sparkle 1984, Fingers crossed.:D
Today is day 11.:)
I have my prescription should I need it but I'm doing my best to ignore it.
I have since read a lot more posts and other sites about the symptoms some people experience and a common thread seems to be the symptoms should NOT physically harm you.
I also recognized a few other withdrawal sympyoms mentioned; flu like symptoms and tiredness for a couple of days,and for me a strange one - tender testicles. Which was initially a worry and very uncomfortable but subsided after about three to four days.
I have changed my diet to exclude coffee and alcohol where possible, ( one SMALL one now and then is OK), chocolate and sugary foods. I have lowered my intake of bread and similar foods in exchange for fresh fruit and fish - I went fishing after having declined to invite for months and caught my supper!! I now go on my own and enjoy the achievement. I drink much more water and have a pint of water with a squeeze of lemon juice each morning when I wake.
I now, whenever possible, walk to work and bloody well walk home too - about an hour each way. Yes it does make my day longer but public transport takes 45 minutes per journey so it's only 15 mins each way.
I have started a gentle routine of gym work, rowing and weights.
At the moment I sleep so much better - no more night sweats!! no more waking early and staying awake worrying, no more waking in the morning feeling like I've only just shut my eyes to go to sleep! I know that if I feel tired during the day it's because I AM tired - not because I feel sluggish and whoozy !
I still have to make an effort to think positively and to pause and think about my reactions to certain situations.
The body Zaps have now become few and far between and the light headedness is a lot less pronounced. I do occasionally feel whoozy and lightheaded but the feeling doesn't last as long.
The only persistent symptom at the moment is a mild headache or stuffiness - like having a cold.
SO - At the moment I am fully confident that I can kick 'Cit' into touch.
I lay in bed at night and say aloud ten positive things about my day.
Yes I know it "Not a good idea to stop" but I couldn't see any option after missing seven days - I hated the start-up side effects and I honestly don't think the withdrawal synonyms , for me anyway, have been that much worse - Thankfully.
I do consider myself extremely lucky at the moment and I'm determined to stay on that high.
For anyone thinking about stopping Cit - listen to the advise, listen to the Doctors have a very long think about it and good luck.
I hope to post more about the symptoms and how I'm doing - hopefully it will be positive. Sparkle thanks for reading and offering.
It's sites like these that are a real help. :hugs:

Sparkle1984
04-09-12, 18:42
Hi Endure,

I'm glad you're OK. :) It was just that I got a bit worried when you said about dropping straight from 40mg to zero as it seemed rather drastic. Personally I don't think I'd be able to cope with that, but everyone is different.
It'll be good to see how you get on. :hugs:

brokenmp3
06-09-12, 18:04
in a bit of a pickle.

only been on these for three weeks and have a weeks supply left to go. when i started doc told me to come back in a few weeks so went yesterday but it was closed, tried again today but the receptionship said they we're no available appointments now or the following week. so just left the place and thought well that's that then. i may as well take what i have left but after that no idea :/

Sparkle1984
06-09-12, 19:02
Hi brokenmp3,

Didn't your doctor give you a repeat prescription for the following month? Mine did. I think what you need to do is explain the situation to the receptionist and they should let you see the doctor earlier - they have emergency appointments available for this purpose. Good luck! :)

Don't Panic 1988
06-09-12, 21:04
I hate being on it and I hate being off it.
I was on 20mg (occasionally up to 40mg) Citalopram for about 10 years. I stopped taking it 4 months ago. I had typical withdrawal symptoms and it was manageable, although I was highly irritable. Now, I am feeling more anxious every day. I am at the point where I know that if I don't start taking Citalopram again, I will start to have panic attacks.
My major concern lies in the long term side effects of the drug.

diggory
08-09-12, 21:20
Stopped two weeks ago (cold turkey) from 40mg per day for two years. First week ok-ish. The odd firework wooosh in my head and salt cellar shaking in my head, rather strange but mildly amusing. Quite light headed feeling most of the time, my yoga was very interesting ! Started feeling a bit crap yesterday, on edge a little and very short tempered with myself and PC ! Going to be very stubborn and persist as one side effect has been weight gain (two stone in two years despite exercise ). Started picking St John's Wart flowers on my walk this evening just in case. Used to grow my own for SAD in the winter ! Seem to have got away lightly with my ill judged decision (without my Doctors initial approval). Only time will tell. Citalopram did work in helping me get better (as well as talking therapy) from a very dire withdrawal, breakdown, depression all in one melt down from 2007 onward. I am a case in action and will try to update my ongoing condition. Feel free to comment and all advice will be greatly appreciated, going to hang in there to see if things level out, try to keep busy and exercise. I probably came from a strong position when I made this decision, I should add that I do meditate for an hour or so a day, which I thing has greatly helped over the last couple of years to clear the crap from my head and has made me mindful of my on going situation.

Sparkle1984
08-09-12, 22:59
Hi Diggory,

I just want to say to you that if you do get any intolerable side effects following discontinuation, please see your doctor. Of course I hope you won't get such side effects though. :)

"If intolerable symptoms occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered. Subsequently, the doctor may continue decreasing the dose, but at a more gradual rate." is what it says on the patient information leaflet.

brokenmp3
09-09-12, 20:16
Hi brokenmp3,

Didn't your doctor give you a repeat prescription for the following month? Mine did. I think what you need to do is explain the situation to the receptionist and they should let you see the doctor earlier - they have emergency appointments available for this purpose. Good luck! :)

Hi Sparkle, he only gave us a months, the chemist told us it'd take about eight weeks to feel any benefit, bit disheartening to run out before they've even started working. gonna try and get up early 'easier said than done' give em a ring and see if they can fit us in. thanks.

diggory
10-09-12, 19:40
My decision to 'cold turkey' from 40mg to zero is now taking it's toll. Last couple of days have not been good. Had my first 'let's get out of here' moment for a year or so today. Now beginning to feel myself going backwards for the first time in a while. This is two weeks in and I have managed to get this far with only minor side effects. Think there may be trouble ahead. Going to try and hang in there for another few days.

Jimm
10-09-12, 19:54
silly billy - I did that with 20mgs years ago as I thought I was a tuff guy lol - after a while I went back to the doctors.. they told me to start taking 10mgs again even though I had been off them for a while - so I did as they said and it was much easier - you need to come off them gradually of you will feel pretty odd lol...

take care :-)

diggory
10-09-12, 20:24
Think your right Jimm, see what tomorrow brings !

diggory
11-09-12, 12:59
Well, tomorrow (today) brings a slight improvement ! Not so on edge, up and about ready to do a few things before yoga. Lots of 'monkey mind' during meditation though. All in all :yesyes:

Jam356
12-09-12, 18:57
Hi all,

After some advice. I've been taking Citalopram since March this year, recently up from 20gm to 30gm about 5 weeks ago.

I haven't taken any since Weds or Tues last week, as I went to a festival this weekend just gone, and knew I'd be doing stuff I probably shouldn't be (no point lying I figure) - didn't know how this would mix with the Cit so wanted to stop in time for it to start leaving my body.

Felt a bit sick on Monday morning when I was still at the festival and was also feeling really emotional and stressed on the way home. But I assumed this was from staying up too late / drinking / doing other things at the festival. Then I went abroad for work v. early yesterday morning. Was sick multiple times from yesterday evening through til now. Have been feeling very rough, headache, constantly sick, very miserable, keep crying, sweats and heart speeding up.

I thought this was all from over doing it at the weekend then going away, on very little sleep, and figured I'd caught a bug. But it's getting worse and I've gotten tons of sleep since last night so can't be tiredness.

Do you think I'm starting to go through withdrawal? I have just found 30mg worth at my parents' house (where I am tonight) which I've just taken, but does anyone know how long it'll take to kick back in and when my symptoms will fade?

Thank you so much in advance for any help, really hate feeling like sh*t and not knowing why :weep:

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

PS. in hindsight I am now very aware how silly going 'cold turkey' was..apparently I didn't have my brain in gear lately :doh:

Iggy131313
12-09-12, 19:21
anyone who goes cold turkey is asking for trouble. sometimes withdrawel kicks in around 2 months after the CT and it can last upto 2 years, please please be careful people.

Sudden discontinuation is very dangerous and no one needs 2 years of hell, once your there theres no going back. Taper down slowly, there is no rush and remember that if you have been taking for a while with cits long half life you may not even start to feel the W/D until sometime after stopping taking the drug, it can still be in your system.

Its everyones own choice but In my opinion its a silly decision, whats the rush?

Jam, you will be fine, just keep taking your normal dose and you will level out in a few days, a couple of days off wont do you any lasting damage, there is a window of time 6-8 weeks when you can hop on and off these meds without too much trouble.

Youll be feeling great next week. x

Jam356
12-09-12, 19:36
Thanks Iggy,

Definitely learnt my lesson, feel pretty stupid in hindsight! Scary how much these things affect your system too!

Iggy131313
12-09-12, 19:45
oh and jam, if your gonna do rec drugs just google it to see if its safe, cannabis is fine with cit but im not sure about other things.

this is not a place to judge people so i hope noone jumps on you, its your life.

But one thing is for sure, if the drugs you wanted to partake in dont work with cit, take the cit and have something else. Coming off these drugs will give you a comedown you will NEVER forget.

stay safe.

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

Oh and people, when I say cannabis is ok with cit Im not saying its safe in general, I just had it a few times through when I took cit and never had any problems, I also googled it to see. there are cetain anti ds you cant smoke cannabic with because of how it affects the dopamine system. So things like Ven and Mirt are not a good mix.

And for the record I havent smoked any for yonks and dont intend to again, not after this chemical storm I have been through I will think twice before taking a bloody antibiotic!!!!

karenp
13-09-12, 14:07
I never had one single withdrawal effect coming off Cit the 3 times I've been prescribed it but start up was horrendous for me ):

the syrian jackal
13-09-12, 21:06
I have been on citalopram for all most 3 years and three months ago i came off them and when i did thing were fine up until two three weeks ago i started getting very strange symptombs like feeling i will be diying i am out of a place not really in this world etccc. I do not want to go back on citalopram and antidepressant so i want to know about taking St John Wart and how it can help i have even had some sucidial thougths which were really disturbing please please i need help you people who made the switch beterrn citalopram and St johns wart just tell me what should i do and how and would it help in the same way as the the citalopram?

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Hi guys anyone experienced citalopram withdrawal longer than 3 montsh i havee been taking them for a all most 3 years before stopping

Iggy131313
13-09-12, 21:07
did you stop cold turkey? what dose were you on?

the syrian jackal
17-09-12, 07:29
very strange really my comments were posted a while ago and yet only one person botherd to reply may i suggest that if we all want to feel and do better in life then maybe we should consider giving each other a hand WHILE WE ARE UNWELL, DURING OUR RECOVERY AND ALSO AFTER IT. maybe this will show solidarity and greater understanding instead of getting well and turning the page completely and run away. I am not telling you all what to do but making a suggestive point to consider. Perhaps we can start with me, can someone look at the comments i posted and help me please?

Sparkle1984
17-09-12, 08:41
I would love to help you but I don't know the answer to your question. I think its best to go back to your doctor if you're concerned. I don't know about st johns wort as I've never tried it.

nicluc135
21-05-16, 22:21
I know it's been a while since anyone posted here so this might not be seen. I decided to reduce Citalopram as I have been insatiably hungry for years and only just linked the two. Since reducing the hunger has sorted itself out and seems to be normal again. Hopefully I will be able to lose weight.
I have been on 40mg for years and have reduced to 20mg over 6 weeks. I feel generally more stressed out and emotional, I've been suffering tension headaches. I have had a bad upper back for 10+ years and it seems to be getting worse, also a painful jaw which is really bad at the moment.
I'm also exhausted, feel a bit spaced out and forgetful and lose my balance a few times. I don't know if these symptoms are to do with withdrawal especially the increased pain but I'm hoping they won't last too much longer.