PDA

View Full Version : Career Advice

twister
07-11-04, 22:42
Hi

It turns out I may be losing my job sometime early next year and I want to do something that will help me forward my second career - psychology- which I am currently doing a degree in.

I need to get some kind of experience working with people as so far I have none. When I graduate I would like to work in either counselling or forensic psychology so would particularly like to do something in this field. The big problem is I have no work experience or qualifications in this field, coupled with a lot of debt meaning I can't work for peanuts.....

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do, or where I can look for work in this field. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

davebrum
08-11-04, 01:22
hi emily
i started doing all sorts of jobs, but then decided i had a gift working with people with learning dificulties. i didnt get many o levels at school so i sat my entrance exam for psychiatric nursing. i passed and became a nurse three years later nmh. i have said godbye to that now -i have talked to you in chat have you thought of counselling its profitable and fulfilling im druk tonight but i think you could do it you could help people like us
xx david

Sue
08-11-04, 17:00
Hi Twister,

Many jobs involve working with people. Something as simple as working in a shop.

If you want to do something that will help with your new career, what about something in the caring profession; old peoples home, disadvantaged children etc ?

Just a thought and I have no idea what the pay is like!

Sue

Merlinssister
08-11-04, 17:20
Sue's right. Care homes etc are good places to start. If you can find some time to do voluntary work student helplines are a good place to start, as is Victim Support.

You will also find you'll need to do further study for your chosen routes, especially forensic psychology which is increasingly competitive. Master may be a must for you. Alternatively you may prefer to look at careers that use the knowledge and skills in another way. Dave's already mentioned nursing, but there is also social work, probation work, youth work. May be worth exploring as you may find that further training is paid for by the employers.

twister
08-11-04, 21:29
Thanks for all the advice. I know I need to do further training in order to become a forensic or counselling psychologist. I need to do an Msc and then further training in order to become chartered.

What I need in the meantime (as I don't finish uni for another 3 years) is a job where I can some work experience in the general field until this time.

I was wondering if anyone on this site knew of any inroads to this kind of work. Volunteering is hard for me because I am at college three nights a week and am in full time work. I was going to apply for Childline but am worried I wont have the time to fit it in.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Merlinssister
09-11-04, 07:48
One of my friends used to do prison visiting. I think that was once a month, so that may be possible, as is Victim Support which is flexible in the time you give it.

As for the work option, you could also consider admin support in the care, social and health services. I know of a couple of people who have gone on to professional training from that.