PDA

View Full Version : Seed in lungs/chest pain?

juju_1
16-07-17, 00:28
So I went to work today and had one of those Starbucks refresher drinks with the berries in it. Somehow I inhaled a seed and felt it go down my throat and then I involuntarily coughed extremely hard. This happened a few times. Now my right side of my chest near my sternum hurts, mostly with movement or if I exhale forcefully. My shoulder on the same side is also sore from work and bad posture so maybe they're connected? I know your lungs obviously can't get rid of seeds so what do I do? I feel like a doctor would laugh at me if I told them this but I'm seriously concerned.

AussieWorrier
16-07-17, 02:11
dont drink starbucks again..its crap coffeee anyway lol

.Poppy.
16-07-17, 16:06
Your epiglottis is designed to prevent objects like this from entering your lungs. It's very unlikely that the seeds are in your lungs.

The pain is most likely from the coughing/shoulder pain/anxiety.

NervUs
16-07-17, 16:37
Can you just wait to see for a few weeks to see if you get lung pain or a long term cough.

Coincidentally, I JUST read this old article in the NYT about a seed getting lodged in the lung, so it can happen. But, I'm not sure there's anything to do about it unless you develop a problem long term.

MyNameIsTerry
17-07-17, 06:02
Can you just wait to see for a few weeks to see if you get lung pain or a long term cough.

Coincidentally, I JUST read this old article in the NYT about a seed getting lodged in the lung, so it can happen. But, I'm not sure there's anything to do about it unless you develop a problem long term.

Such things do happen. When I had pneumonia my GP was checking for inhalation of foods like bacon bits.

But like Poppy says, the body is well designed to stop them getting in and the lungs try to expell anything anyway.

CeeCeeCee
30-08-17, 15:43
What ha[[ens if you do inhale something though. I have a very intermittent cough and some funny niggles in my chest and pains in my chest/back and remember I inhaled some rice a few weeks ago which caused me to choke/cough for ages. Wondering if that could be the reason for the pain? :ohmy: