PDA

View Full Version : I took out of date sudafed yesterday

Aleman200
17-07-17, 17:42
So rather stupidly i ended up taking 5 year old anti drowsy sudafed because I'm an idiot and since then (I took it at 9pm) I've had racing heartbeat on and off and chest pain a bit throughout the day. I'm a bit scared, does anyone know how long it'll take 60mg of sudafed to leave my system?

Fishmanpa
17-07-17, 17:47
So rather stupidly i ended up taking 5 year old anti drowsy sudafed because I'm an idiot and since then (I took it at 9pm) I've had racing heartbeat on and off and chest pain a bit throughout the day. I'm a bit scared, does anyone know how long it'll take 60mg of sudafed to leave my system?

Worst case, being outdated just means it won't be as effective as a current med. I have lidocaine pain patches that are a year out of date. They still work just fine. You'll be just fine too!

Positive thoughts

Aleman200
17-07-17, 17:53
Worst case, being outdated just means it won't be as effective as a current med. I have lidocaine pain patches that are a year out of date. They still work just fine. You'll be just fine too!

Positive thoughts

Ah brilliant, thank you! I think it kind of worked as i got a runny nose from the congestion i was having. And i'm still alive so i guess it's all good. :D

MyNameIsTerry
18-07-17, 02:17
does anyone know how long it'll take 60mg of sudafed to leave my system?

There's different ones. Without knowing which, to see what is in it, it's not easy to say. Paracetamol is quick, Ibuprofen pretty quick, pseudoephedrine takes longer, etc. Knowing which means you check their half lives, the same with any med.

Meds after expiry dates shouldn't be taken as they can loose their efficiency or may not be safe anymore. But that's a general thing to cover all meds and it may not be the case with an OTC like this.

Basically, ask a pharmacist if you are unsure unless you can find official guidance to cover it.

Did they look ok too? Not disturbed or foils open?

The racing heartbeat could be because some of them contain caffeine.

Aleman200
18-07-17, 08:25
Yeah they looked fine, the foil wasn't broken and they had been stored with all of our other medication out of sunlight In a cupboard it was the anti drowsy kind of sudafed 60mg blue box, it was a small red tablet. I ended up ringing 111 and the lady said it's fine it probably just won't help with my congestion and to throw them away. I suspect the heart beat is me being hyper aware of it now because I had a panic attack.

MyNameIsTerry
18-07-17, 08:42
Well that's good to know then that they are fine.

Some of them contain stimulants but just being anxious about taking them as another safe bet. I used to do that over any med or supplements.

If it was a stimulant issue you would probably have felt a bit wired & agitated. Maybe found it hard to sit about.