PDA

View Full Version : HORRIBLE PALPITATIONS/MISSED BEATS

linjane
08-11-04, 07:19
Hi everyone, been really busy and had not time to visit, sorry, hope you are all doing ok. My palpitations and missed beats have been more noticeable again last few days and they are bothering me again. I am not pre-menstrual, so can't blame them on that. I am so sick of worrying about them PLEASE PLEASE can someone tell me how to make them go away. They make me so irritable because I focus on them and lose patience with everything and everyone else. I don't want them to take me over again. PLEASE help. I haven't had time to get good relaxation CD but will try soon, but to be honest have done that before and it didn't make them go. Have got stuff from Holland and Barrent - De-Stress and Vitamin B Complex can anyone suggest anything else. If anyone else has these regularly please tell me so I know I am not along and they are not dangerous. Thankyou..xx

Cookie
08-11-04, 08:25
Hi there.
I'm new to this forum. Just wanted to let you know that you're not on your own. I suffer with exactly the same thing. The palpatations and missed/extra beats. I hate it, its horrible. The only thing thats calmed the racing down is beta blockers which my doctor prescribed. I still get the missed beats and extra ones, my heart just doesn't beat so fast anymore. I used to think I was going to have a heart attack. Didn't believe my doctor at first when they said the tests on my heart came back ok. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that its the adrenaline in my body that makes my heart do this. And its the panic and anxiety that produces the adrenaline. I know how you're feeling. I'm struggling to keep a calm head on all this. Let me know if you find anything that helps. I find slow breathing helps to regulate my heart. In through the nose, blow out your mouth. Blow more out than you breathe in though. Hope this helps.
Shelley.x

linjane
08-11-04, 16:09
Hi Shelley,
Thanks for replying. It is nice to know that I am not alone and I know other people have them, but you feel so alone when they are happening to you. My doc won't give me any medication, I don't really get the racing heart as much as the palpitations/missed beats but wish I could get a miracle cure. It freaked me out with all that stuff about Tony Blair, just when you are trying to believe they are not dangerous he goes and has an op for something similar. Hope you cope ok.
Linjane.x

seh1980
08-11-04, 16:43
hi linjane,

I have had palpitations before and the more I worried about them, the more they occured. It may sound silly, but the only way for you to trully get rid of the palpitations is to forget about them. You only notice them because you are consistently thinking about them. A relaxation tape will help you relax enough to be able to do just this.

Sarah :D

Meg
08-11-04, 16:54
Linjane

Whoa- the only similarity between Tony and you is that it is the same organ affected.

He had a dysrhymmia which is persistant and aggressive once it starts and does not respond to relaxation and he was becoming medication resistant too. If his was left untreated it would affect his blood pressure and whole body. His heart raced and was beating erratically for hours on end.

You have extra beats intermittantly which are a direct result of adrenalin that you're secreting. You are more likely to be having extra beats and not missed beats which is better. Yours will go as anxiety leaves you and you relax more . Arm yourself with a relaxation CD or get up and move around a lot and perhaps wit positive affirmations teach yourself these are not harmful in the slightest.

You are your own miracle cure by ignoring them and using that adrenalin in other ways .

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

Karen
08-11-04, 18:06
Hi Linjane

I also get palpitations and the extra beats as a result of anxiety. I am able to ignore the symptoms because I know it is not harmful and stops when I feel calmer.

Try not to worry. It is very common.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Cookie
08-11-04, 18:44
Hi Linjane.
I know what you mean about the tony blair thing! It made me smile when I read what you'd put, coz I felt exactly the same! It freaked me out. I was convinced thats what I've got and the doc's have missed it! Think we must just be over paranoid!(Or just barmy![:P])
This web site has helped me so much already. Just knowing that I'm not the only one who feels like this is a huge relief. It is pretty scary still when my heart goes crazy. Getting more used to it now though. Try to convince yourself that your fine and you can't die from these palpatations, they're harmless. Horrible, yes, but harmless. Its starting to work for me. Just gotta keep telling yourself this. Hope you're ok.
Shelley.x

davebrum
08-11-04, 19:38
hi i have found propranolol tablets (bet blockers) and deep breathing have helped greatly with my palpatations
xx david

mabel
08-11-04, 21:23
I have suffered from missed heartbeats amd palpitations for over 10 years now. After having lots of tests etc had to accept there was nothing seriously wrong (hard!). my CBT last year taught me to take a deep breath and a big sigh (your bodies way of knowing its nothing serious and the dangers over) and i say to myself "oh, here we go again!" . And its worked they don't get too me anymore, i dont get all worked up anymore. After 10 years this is quite an achievement!!!You talk to yourself like a complete muppet!!!! but it works!!! These things cant harm you and although they are unpleasant the more you do it the less effects you have! They hardly bother me at all anymore and if I do have one i know what to do and I dont get worked up anymore.

Hope this helps
Caroline

linjane
10-11-04, 08:00
Hi Meg, I didn't even know they had given a name to his symptons, I had read nearly everything I could find and not found that out, so thanks for that, at least I hope it is different to mine. Thanks for everyones help on here, but at the moment I am still not doing too well. I am letting them bother me like they did in the early days and causing myself to panic also. I really can't accept something so scary to do with your heart is not dangerous. I hate being like this, and will I ever stop being aware of my bodies every 'blip'. I WANT TO BE NORMAL!:(
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Linjane

Whoa- the only similarity between Tony and you is that it is the same organ affected.

He had a dysrhymmia which is persistant and aggressive once it starts and does not respond to relaxation and he was becoming medication resistant too. If his was left untreated it would affect his blood pressure and whole body. His heart raced and was beating erratically for hours on end.

You have extra beats intermittantly which are a direct result of adrenalin that you're secreting. You are more likely to be having extra beats and not missed beats which is better. Yours will go as anxiety leaves you and you relax more . Arm yourself with a relaxation CD or get up and move around a lot and perhaps wit positive affirmations teach yourself these are not harmful in the slightest.

You are your own miracle cure by ignoring them and using that adrenalin in other ways .

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 08 November 2004 : 16:54:47</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

linjane
10-11-04, 16:16
Hi, thanks to everyone for their messages. i have tried to reply a few times but I keep having problems with the website not responding!

Anyway, still not feeling much better and now have new sympton of light headedness and feeling floaty/unreal like everywhere is moving (luckily so far not at the same time as missing/ectopic beats) but this is freaking me out. My head just feels really light it started last night and I got so worked up I had a major panic attack where I was shaking all over and couldn't stop the SCARED feeling. I really could do without any more nasty symptoms as I have had enough of them and |I just worry about something and it seems to take me over. Anyone else felt like this. Please HEEEELLLLP I feel like i am slowly going mad and my husband does not have a clue how to handle me.

Meg
10-11-04, 16:32
Hey LinJane

*at least I hope it is different to mine* . It certainly is .. his is SVT or paroxymal Atrial Fibrillation and yours is adrenalin induced ectopic beats. No similarity at all in duration or cause.

The light headedness/ unreal is also adrenalin/ cortisol induced and will go when you relax. It is just a protective measure your body goes into when you're very anxious.

You really need to learn to relax breate correctly and not get worked up about these symptoms- none of them will harm you.

Get your husband to log on and we'll give hum some pointers.

Please read First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

The site is slow but do just press submit once it does eventually respond .

Meg

- Albert Einstein.

linjane
11-11-04, 17:43
Hi Meg,
I am trying hard to relax but I don't seem to manage half the time! I wish I could learn to accept that these things are not dangerous and get on with my life and ignore them, but I find it so hard. Is it really not harmful even when I get them nearly every day....??

Thanks for your help.
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hey LinJane

*at least I hope it is different to mine* . It certainly is .. his is SVT or paroxymal Atrial Fibrillation and yours is adrenalin induced ectopic beats. No similarity at all in duration or cause.

The light headedness/ unreal is also adrenalin/ cortisol induced and will go when you relax. It is just a protective measure your body goes into when you're very anxious.

You really need to learn to relax breate correctly and not get worked up about these symptoms- none of them will harm you.

Get your husband to log on and we'll give hum some pointers.

Please read First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

The site is slow but do just press submit once it does eventually respond .

Meg

- Albert Einstein.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 10 November 2004 : 16:32:34</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

bananarbabe
29-11-04, 02:19
Hi LinJane

I use to have the same exact problems and sometimes they return too. The thing that has helped me the most has been exercise, especially cardio.