PDA

View Full Version : Contrast dye

Rabbit26
18-07-17, 11:04
I am a complete wuss when it comes to having anything done medically. I have a intense fear that everything will result in death and cannot even manage to go to the hospital without having someone with me. So, I was recently diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia (microcytic) and sent to outpatients by my GP. At outpatients the doctor said 'you've been anaemic since 2015' which came as a total shock to me as I'd only had the blood test done two weeks prior. The doctor sent me for a gastroscopy and colonoscopy which scared the living daylights out of me (I literally cried about it everyday in the week and a half between receiving the appointment and going) mainly because of the risks involved - 1 in 1500 having problems do not seem like good odds to me. I cried all the way through being checked in and up until they put the cannula in. I even worried about them injecting the sedative in case it killed me (as it happens the sedative did absolutely nothing and I was fully aware of the whole procedure). The results all came back clear and my blood iron levels are now normal (I have been taking the iron tablets prescribed by the doctor). However, the doctor at the hospital has scheduled me for a CT with contrast dye (this Thursday!) and I am petrified that I will have an allergic reaction from the dye and that this may finish me off. I am asthmatic and have had adverse reactions to one antibiotic and morphine in the past (as well as hair dyes - nobody my age goes white willingly!) so this is increasing my anxiety. Can I have the CT without contrast, i.e. refuse the contrast part? The leaflet sent out says 1-10 in 1000-10,000 people have a reaction (i.e. 1 in 1000 then) and these are worse odds than the colonoscopy.

It doesn't help that I believe this is caused by poor diet and over consumption of tea (16-20 cups a day) which I have read can prevent your body from absorbing iron from food naturally.

Help!

Worrywart1234
18-07-17, 11:19
I'm not sure about the contrast dye. I think I may have been told by a ct scan person if you've had one ct scan and have another one soon at the same place you may not need to have it, but the first time you have to because that's how they take the pictures. I HATE needles and did my best to get out of having the dye because I was scared of the needle, not the dye. I've never managed to get out of having the cannula using that excuse yet. It's funny how anxiety works, isn't it.

I just wanted to say you'll be fine. If you survived the colonoscopy, the ct scan will be a breeze. Look at it like immunisations for babies - the risks virtually never eventuate and the problems that can happen if you don't have it are bad...

Stay strong

heyitsmeyou
18-07-17, 11:22
20 cups a day? :scared15: Anyways, I wouldn't fear the contrast. Adverse reactions are rare and when they do happen, it's usually something small like a rash.

Rabbit26
18-07-17, 11:28
I'm a teacher, all we seem to do is drink tea lol! I'm surprised I don't have a caffeine overdose.

I'm scared because once they put the dye in your veins, if you have a reaction, it's not like they can just remove the dye from your veins. If it was taking a pill I had a reaction to then I'd have a good go at vomiting it back up again. Does this make sense?

LDoubleE
18-07-17, 11:59
Even if you're allergic to the contrast dye.. you'll be in the best place. You have an anaphylactic shock there is no doubt going to be an epipen nearby.. don't worry. You've done the hardest part in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Crouton
18-07-17, 13:25
Hi Rabbit26,

Sorry to know that you're feeling very anxious about your upcoming scan, I hope that I can somewhat put your mind at ease;

I've spent some time working alongside CT technicians (who inject the contrast and operate the scanners). They very rarely see allergic reactions to contrast, and if they do, it's generally a mild allergic reaction that is not life-threatening in the slightest.

1 in 1000 may have a mild allergic reaction; research suggests that you only have a ~0.016% chance (if that) of developing a life-threatening reaction. That's pretty slim!

Very rarely do they see a true anaphylactic (life-threatening) reaction to the contrast and if they do, they have very specific protocols and medicines to use. They are also very diligent and will act early at any sign of trouble, which is very unlikely!

Additionally, the contrast is filtered out of your system by your kidneys very quickly, so it does not stay in your circulation for long.

I encourage you to have the scan with contrast as it gives the doctor much more information and improves their ability to interpret it. But of course don't be afraid to express your concerns when you go in for your scan to the CT techs as they will also help put you at ease. :yesyes:

Hope this helps!

Rabbit26
18-07-17, 14:09
Thank you crouton, that has helped. Why can people get delayed reactions from the dye? Is it because there is a reason their bodies do not filter the dye out quickly? I'm also asthmatic so that is an added worry for me.

Crouton
18-07-17, 14:51
I encourage you to ask the CT techs about this, as they are very knowledgeable!

From what I understand, delayed reactions are not dangerous; stuffy nose, low-grade fever, fatigue for a short period of time, if at all, beyond 30 minutes following the administration of the contrast. It's the body's way of saying "I don't think I liked that stuff you put into me!" It's no biggie.

A good proportion of people having CT scans with IV contrast have asthma, it's a common condition. There is a slightly higher risk of an adverse reaction in these people, but again, it's still a very slight risk. They'll run through your medical history with you before your scan so they're aware of everything.

The techs do this hundreds of times a week, and will look after you well! :)

Rabbit26
20-07-17, 15:44
Well, I wussed it and asked to have it done without the dye. Almost immediately afterwards I felt a bit stupid. I was quite surprised that they didn't put up more of an argument. Just got to hope the results are good now.

meant2live
20-07-17, 17:06
I was scared of the dye too, but I had an MRI this morning with it, and it went well, even though I have asthma.

If they tell you that you have to have another scan with the dye, just tell them about your fear. I told the MRI tech and she was very nice in explaining it all. Also, you're ina hospital. If, by some small chance you're that rare person with a reaction, they are prepared.

Rabbit26
20-07-17, 18:28
Thanks Meant2live - I think I would have the dye if I have to have it done again but I just got so anxious and started to shake and that was that. I even struggled with the 'breath in and hold it' and couldn't remember what breathing in was. I'd be useless if I ever had to have something more serious like an operation.