PDA

View Full Version : Brain Tumour Fears

oxoshannon
19-07-17, 12:45
Hey everyone

My health anxiety has popped up once more. I woke up at about 3am last night with my pupils being really really big, immediately I started to panic it was a brain tumour.

i know this is a symptom and I am so scared.

I then went on to shine a light in my eye for like 1 hour to make sure they would go down.

I am scared, is this anxiety or was it because I was asleep?

I have sinus problems I don't know if this is related?

HELP

Gary A
19-07-17, 12:50
Hey everyone

My health anxiety has popped up once more. I woke up at about 3am last night with my pupils being really really big, immediately I started to panic it was a brain tumour.

I then went on to shine a light in my eye for like 1 hour to make sure they would go down.

HELP

Pupil dilation in both eyes is not a symptom of a brain tumour. If you had woken up from a sleep and went from dim lighting into bright lighting, your pupils are simply doing what they should.

Your pupils dilate in dark conditions to allow more light to hit your retina, they of course contract when in brighter conditions as the retina is already receiving a lot of light.

This is in no way a symptom of any type of brain malfunction, it's just your eyes doing what they should be doing. If anything, it's showing you that your eyes are in perfect working order.

oxoshannon
19-07-17, 12:54
Pupil dilation in both eyes is not a symptom of a brain tumour. If you had woken up from a sleep and went from dim lighting into bright lighting, your pupils are simply doing what they should.

Your pupils dilate in dark conditions to allow more light to hit your retina, they of course contract when in brighter conditions as the retina is already receiving a lot of light.

This is in no way a symptom of any type of brain malfunction, it's just your eyes doing what they should be doing. If anything, it's showing you that your eyes are in perfect working order.

So they would be really big from waking up and going into light? I would have thought they would have gone really little which is making me worry :(
I have such a headache now and that's making me worry more, I guess it's just the stress, I'm just so worried :(

LDoubleE
19-07-17, 12:58
Hey everyone

HELPIf you had a brain tumour the main thing your be waking up with is a headache.. And you'll feel sick and you WILL throw up. Then you would feel better and your headache would disappear after being sick. Your body would be having seizures. If you aren't having any of these chances of a brain tumour are little to none. However if you feel there is a problem go to a doc and get checked out.

Your pupils are big st 3am because it's dark... They get big to let light in. Get smaller to keep light out.. you're fine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gary A
19-07-17, 13:00
Think about it, why would your pupils be smaller in dark conditions? Have you ever noticed that when you switch the lights out, at first you can hardly see a thing, but then you gradually start seeing in better detail? That's your pupils slowly dilating and allowing more light into your eyes.

Same goes for when you're in a dark room and a light suddenly gets switched on. You get a massive glare and it all just seems too bright. Gradually your eyes get more comfortable with the light because your pupils begin to slowly contract and allow less light in.

Dark conditions = large pupils
Light conditions = small pupils

It's simply your eyes adjusting to whichever lighting condition you're in. Do not worry about it, as I said, it's actually showing that your eyes, and your brain, are in healthy working order.

oxoshannon
19-07-17, 13:02
If you had a brain tumour the main thing your be waking up with is a headache.. And you'll feel sick and you WILL throw up. Then you would feel better and your headache would disappear after being sick. Your body would be having seizures. If you aren't having any of these chances of a brain tumour are little to none. However if you feel there is a problem go to a doc and get checked out.

Your pupils are big st 3am because it's dark... They get big to let light in. Get smaller to keep light out.. you're fine.

I am terrified these things are going to happen to me. I don't know I just feel like it's happening (it's not but the fear is so real it's crazy)

---------- Post added at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:00 ----------

Think about it, why would your pupils be smaller in dark conditions? Have you ever noticed that when you switch the lights out, at first you can hardly see a thing, but then you gradually start seeing in better detail? That's your pupils slowly dilating and allowing more light into your eyes.

Same goes for when you're in a dark room and a light suddenly gets switched on. You get a massive glare and it all just seems too bright. Gradually your eyes get more comfortable with the light because your pupils begin to slowly contract and allow less light in.

Dark conditions = large pupils
Light conditions = small pupils

It's simply your eyes adjusting to whichever lighting condition you're in. Do not worry about it, as I said, it's actually showing that your eyes, and your brain, are in healthy working order.

I guess it's just never happened like this before. I spent all day yesterday panicking about a brain tumour then I get up to go to the toilet and that happens. It just freaked me out to see them that big in such a light room.

But I had been asleep in a dark room for a few hours, this explanation does make sense.

I've had this fear for years and years and years, I get this feeling that it's 'my time' every time I get the fear, it's horrible

Gary A
19-07-17, 13:04
You have absolutely no reason whatsoever to think you have any type of brain condition. I really can't make it any clearer.

You should maybe suggest this to your doctor and allow them to attempt to address your anxiety about all of this.

LDoubleE
19-07-17, 13:06
I am terrified these things are going to happen to me. I don't know I just feel like it's happening (it's not but the fear is so real it's crazy)Irrational fear is normal for someone with anxiety. I don't blame you I used to be the same. Still am when my heart skips a beat.

A brain tumour is highly unlikely though. Trust me you'd be feeling the effects of a brain tumour. Sensitivity to sunlight. Body spasms. Sickness every day. Vomiting is a main thing. People with brain tumours are sick at least once a day. They have a headache like someone is hammering them. You'll be fine mate [emoji4] don't worry about brain tumours unless you're getting hard-core symptoms. You can always ask your doc for a CT scan or MRI, for me THAT would be more scarier than having a brain tumour.

oxoshannon
19-07-17, 13:14
You have absolutely no reason whatsoever to think you have any type of brain condition. I really can't make it any clearer.

You should maybe suggest this to your doctor and allow them to attempt to address your anxiety about all of this.

No no I really appreciate the information you've given me, it's really helpful thank you.

I've had lots of counselling to address it, sometimes it's just too strong!

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:06 ----------

Irrational fear is normal for someone with anxiety. I don't blame you I used to be the same. Still am when my heart skips a beat.

A brain tumour is highly unlikely though. Trust me you'd be feeling the effects of a brain tumour. Sensitivity to sunlight. Body spasms. Sickness every day. Vomiting is a main thing. People with brain tumours are sick at least once a day. They have a headache like someone is hammering them. You'll be fine mate [emoji4] don't worry about brain tumours unless you're getting hard-core symptoms. You can always ask your doc for a CT scan or MRI, for me THAT would be more scarier than having a brain tumour.

It's awful and it's about time I got over it, I've been like this for years and never really had a break :(

I mean I feel sick a lot but I think it's my anxiety more than anything, it doesn't really stop so my body is on overdrive all the time.

Yeah that's why I've never ever requested one, it makes it real and really my sensible head knows I'm okay and wouldn't want to waste the NHS's time you know. It's a tricky situation! One I am very fed up with!

axolotl
19-07-17, 13:20
No no I really appreciate the information you've given me, it's really helpful thank you.

I've had lots of counselling to address it, sometimes it's just too strong!

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:06 ----------

It's awful and it's about time I got over it, I've been like this for years and never really had a break :(

I mean I feel sick a lot but I think it's my anxiety more than anything, it doesn't really stop so my body is on overdrive all the time.

Yeah that's why I've never ever requested one, it makes it real and really my sensible head knows I'm okay and wouldn't want to waste the NHS's time you know. It's a tricky situation! One I am very fed up with!

You can't "request a CT scan or MRI", they're hugely expensive procedures that no doctor would send you for unless they thought there was something to investigate, and allowing we health anxious types to ask for pointless tests like that would soon bankrupt the NHS.

oxoshannon
19-07-17, 13:28
You can't "request a CT scan or MRI", they're hugely expensive procedures that no doctor would send you for unless they thought there was something to investigate, and allowing we health anxious types to ask for pointless tests like that would soon bankrupt the NHS.

No I know, I've been to the doctors multiple times in my life about this, I've had this fear for years they've never raised any concerns

I need to start listening, it's just horrible when new symptoms pop up and ruin the progress of recovery that you make

LDoubleE
19-07-17, 13:32
You can't "request a CT scan or MRI", they're hugely expensive procedures that no doctor would send you for unless they thought there was something to investigate, and allowing we health anxious types to ask for pointless tests like that would soon bankrupt the NHS.You can request one. Just after you've told the doctors your symptoms and if he/she feels there is a need he will grant you the request. If not. Well then you're probably fine.

axolotl
19-07-17, 13:38
You can request one. Just after you've told the doctors your symptoms and if he/she feels there is a need he will grant you the request. If not. Well then you're probably fine.

Well you can request anything from a doctor, I suppose, as long as you're not expecting to actually get it ;)

LDoubleE
19-07-17, 13:40
Well you can request anything from a doctor, I suppose, as long as you're not expecting to actually get it ;)Exactly lol [emoji4]