PDA

View Full Version : Scared of a Misdiagnose

onedayIwill
19-07-17, 12:45
I've been feeling unwell for about a month now from chest pains, to heart palpitations, to severe sleeping problems, to sharp pains everywhere, to severe pins and needles and trembling. MS, DVT, a cardiovascular prob, etc were just some of the thing I was worried about.

I've also noticed that my veins always seem to sting. I've had ecg, blood test, electrolyte test (sodium and potassium), chest xray and thyroid test and they all showed up fine (I had mild scoliosis though). I've been to the ER who told me to take Vitamin B, my GP who told me to take Vitamin D (5000 IU), who then referred me to a pedia-neuro who told me to take iron supplements, calcium supplements, and melatonin (aka that I probably have a deficiency).

Although what I'm worried about is the fact that she pretty much self-diagnosed me with it and didn't tell me to take a blood test for a deficiency, which is what I'm mainly concerned about. My dad won't let me take any more tests either cuz he told me to 'trust the doctor'. Help :( What if it's a misdiagnosis?

axolotl
19-07-17, 12:49
chest pains

Common anxiety symptom.

heart palpitations

Common anxiety symptom.

severe sleeping problems

Common anxiety symptom.

sharp pains

Common anxiety symptom.

pins and needles

Common anxiety symptom.

trembling

Common anxiety symptom.

It's right to get these things checked out sometimes, but it sounds like you've had all the right tests and no red flags are being raised with medics other than easily-sorted vitamin deficiencies. I agree with your dad.

I imagine you're quite young if you need your dad's permission to have tests?

onedayIwill
19-07-17, 13:49
Hello, yes I'm 17 years old. I'm just scared for it to be a misdiagnose since she didn't send me for any deficiency tests. I also feel like I have a severe b12 deficiency but that wasn't in the list of what she told me to take. Also, thank you for comforting me. One thing I can't get out of is the severe stinging vein pain (arms, hands, feet, legs, etc) and I just don't understand how it's connected to all this.

I also know and diagnosed myself with severe health anxiety since probably everyone can say so too but it just doesn't hit me how this all started. I've never had any grave illness and wasn't even one bit stressed (it was a summer and I was chilling with friends). A wonder how our minds and body works huh.

axolotl
19-07-17, 14:02
I also feel like I have a severe b12 deficiency but that wasn't in the list of what she told me to take

With respect, how are you qualified to "feel like" you have a severe b12 deficiency? You've seen several doctors, and this hasn't had any flags raised which has caused them to think this. Also, how do you know this wasn't checked in the blood tests you've already had?

The thing is at 17 there's very very few nasty things that you're close to being likely to get, and all would be on doctors' radars and nothing is making them think that. If any of your symptoms are due to anxiety, sadly they will persist until you learn to trust doctors and start ignoring them.

onedayIwill
19-07-17, 15:09
I'm having severe pins and needles and googled some stuff about b12 deficiency in relation to vein pain. I know don't worry I'm trying to get better now the sicknesses I thought of before were much much worse. Thank you for your concern! Anxiety really can kill (the mind at least)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capercrohnj
19-07-17, 15:33
B12 deficiency would have shown up in your blood tests

axolotl
19-07-17, 15:34
I'm having severe pins and needles and googled some stuff about b12 deficiency in relation to vein pain.

So your couple of hours Googling with a layman's understanding makes you a better expert than doctors? They would miss something as mundane as a B12 deficiency in your blood, and you, with your new found medical genius would think of that when they wouldn't?

I'm not saying that to be mean, but to point out how our HA makes us feel much too confident in our own "skills" at "diagnosis".

Anxiety really can kill (the mind at least)

Anxiety should never be underestimated, true, but be careful with overdramatising your language and thinking about it.

onedayIwill
20-07-17, 11:07
So your couple of hours Googling with a layman's understanding makes you a better expert than doctors? They would miss something as mundane as a B12 deficiency in your blood, and you, with your new found medical genius would think of that when they wouldn't?

I'm not saying that to be mean, but to point out how our HA makes us feel much too confident in our own "skills" at "diagnosis".

Anxiety should never be underestimated, true, but be careful with overdramatising your language and thinking about it.

okay I'm sorry this is just the worst I've felt my entire life and I feel like I'm slowly dying lol but thanks what you said is true

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 ----------

B12 deficiency would have shown up in your blood tests

really? it wasn't included in the cbc though

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

another question, can anxiety cause toothache?

axolotl
20-07-17, 11:58
okay I'm sorry this is just the worst I've felt my entire life and I feel like I'm slowly dying lol but thanks what you said is true

You have nothing to apologise for, I only ever post these things to show up the faulty thinking caused by anxiety. We're all on here because we have succumbed or are succumbing to this.

another question, can anxiety cause toothache?

If it's actually jaw ache rather than toothache probably, but don't fall into the trap of thinking there are two options - "just" anxiety or something that would be a deadly worry.

Sometimes you just get toothache, sometimes you may have to go to the dentist, but either way it's not something to be deeply concerned by, just as something elsewhere in the body may not be anxiety but it doesn't mean it's not just one of those blips and burbles everyone gets, or some minor ailment that's nothing to worry about - what your anxiety does is make you hypersensitive to it through concentration and worry.

onedayIwill
20-07-17, 12:06
Just went to my dentist recently as I had my wisdom teeth removed a month or so ago. She said that I have no problems with my mouth at all.

I'm just concerned about the severe pins and needles (scalp arms legs chest back hands feet everywhere) as they are hurting me and sometimes I just can't take it

axolotl
20-07-17, 12:30
I'm just concerned about the severe pins and needles (scalp arms legs chest back hands feet everywhere) as they are hurting me and sometimes I just can't take it

Been there, done that. To be honest the "everywhere" is a good sign. All the nasty stuff focuses its energies in specific places, whereas all-over, roamy stuff tends to be anxiety. Again, it's hard to do, but mine went off once I accepted this and started to ignore it - I now see it when it crops up as a useful indicator I'm stressed out.

TattooArtist
20-07-17, 12:44
I think you should consider the possibility that the supplements you mentioned, particularly B, D, and melatonin, are commonly recommended to reduce feelings of anxiety. Not necessarily because of a deficiency. A CBC is very good at screening for serious problems. Try to distract yourself and excersise. As you think about your symptoms less they will gradually reduce in intensity. Read the stickies on this forum.

onedayIwill
22-07-17, 15:13
thank you guys! Nope I really have vitamin and mineral deficiencies and the melatonin is for my sleep since I keep on waking up with chest pains which the doc said might be sleep apnea. Well what I'm going true now thought me to live a healthy lifestyle (trust that before all this started, unhealthy lifestyle was an understatement)

onedayIwill
23-07-17, 13:03
I'm also having one sided weakness so I'm really scared :(

MyNameIsTerry
23-07-17, 14:09
Just went to my dentist recently as I had my wisdom teeth removed a month or so ago. She said that I have no problems with my mouth at all.

Anxiety causes muscular tension all over the body. This includes the muscles of the jaw and up through the face. You could be clenching or grinding. You could be grinding in your sleep.

If you wake with it and it's worst at that point but eases through the day, night grinding is likely.

Your dentist will easily work that all out if you explain the symptoms, if you are doing any grinding. It can leave evidence on the teeth as well as causes the jaw muscles to enlarge.

I found I couldn't fully open my mouth or close it as well and I had plenty of headaches.

So, yes. It is possible anxiety can cause tooth ache but it's jaw ache.