PDA

View Full Version : Sick of meds

MartynRich
20-07-17, 13:52
Can someone please tell me the point of psychiatrists? I know the answer but just needed to vent.

So my meds haven't really worked. Since I came off diazepam two months ago my anxiety has increased substantially and the psychiatrist thought this may be a side effect of sertraline that was being masked by the diazpem.

So...he's told me to stop sertraline completely, wait 5 days, then start clonazepam. After 5 days of clonzepam I have to go on Paroxetine...the drug lego continues. I'm thinking of not bothering at all.

Anyone know anything about these meds apart from the horror story side effects kindly available from Google?

panic_down_under
20-07-17, 22:51
Since I came off diazepam two months ago my anxiety has increased substantially and the psychiatrist thought this may be a side effect of sertraline that was being masked by the diazpem.

Or maybe the sertraline dose is inadequate. How much are you on?

So...he's told me to stop sertraline completely, wait 5 days, then start clonazepam. After 5 days of clonzepam I have to go on Paroxetine...

Most people do okay with a straight switch from one SSRI to an equivalent dose of another, though some psychiatrists prefer a short cross-taper, more for psychological than physical reasons. The only antidepressants which require a med washout period when switching to/from them are the old MAOIs. Imho, asking you to take clonazepam after all you went through getting off diazepam is nutz!!!

the drug lego continues

What meds have you tried, at what dose and what were the results?

MartynRich
21-07-17, 07:30
Or maybe the sertraline dose is inadequate. How much are you on?

Most people do okay with a straight switch from one SSRI to an equivalent dose of another, though some psychiatrists prefer a short cross-taper, more for psychological than physical reasons. The only antidepressants which require a med washout period when switching to/from them are the old MAOIs. Imho, asking you to take clonazepam after all you went through getting off diazepam is nutz!!!

What meds have you tried, at what dose and what were the results?

Sertraline is 50mg a day...I tried 100mg a day briefly but it made me quite hyper.

My psychiatrist does want me to do a short period of 5 days without anything to see if the symptoms reduce...I'm tempted not to start again at all. Regarding the clonazepam, I agree...I'd rather try some mindfulness - everyone tells me it works wonders!

These are the only drugs I've tried. I was referring to the balancing act that seems to take place in this...you take one med to reduce the side effects of another med that's supposed to treat the symptoms that are similar to the side-effects. Bizarre.

panic_down_under
21-07-17, 07:53
Sertraline is 50mg a day...I tried 100mg a day briefly but it made me quite hyper.

If you jumped straight from 50mg this would not be a surprise. A week at 75mg would probably have made it easier.

My psychiatrist does want me to do a short period of 5 days without anything to see if the symptoms reduce.

If you've been on sertraline for more than a a month or two you may have some withdrawal symptoms which would likely mask whatever improvement there was from stopping the med. I hope you weren't told to just cold-turkey from 50mg, but are weaning off over a few weeks!!

I'd rather try some mindfulness - everyone tells me it works wonders!

It and the cognitive and/or behavioural therapies can be at least as effective as antidepressants, but, like the meds, they don't work for everyone. Also properly trained therapists can be thin on the ground in some areas. Check their qualifications.

MartynRich
21-07-17, 09:10
If you jumped straight from 50mg this would not be a surprise. A week at 75mg would probably have made it easier.

If you've been on sertraline for more than a a month or two you may have some withdrawal symptoms which would likely mask whatever improvement there was from stopping the med. I hope you weren't told to just cold-turkey from 50mg, but are weaning off over a few weeks!!

It and the cognitive and/or behavioural therapies can be at least as effective as antidepressants, but, like the meds, they don't work for everyone. Also properly trained therapists can be thin on the ground in some areas. Check their qualifications.

Yep, I was told to go cold turkey and there wouldn't be a problem...hmmm

panic_down_under
21-07-17, 12:59
Yep, I was told to go cold turkey and there wouldn't be a problem...hmmm

"Hmmm" indeed! :ohmy:

If you've been on 50mg for a while cut the dose back to 25mg for a week and while you might then be able to quit with minimal trauma, personally I'd take 12.5mg for another week before stopping. You should really get the okay from your doctor before doing this, but....