PDA

View Full Version : GAD or just anxiety?

Montyzoo
20-07-17, 16:10
Hi everyone

I'm never sure how to classify what I struggle with and I wonder if anybody has any thoughts, insight or similar experience.

I am 45. I had my first panic attack at 18 and got them periodically until I was maybe 38 when I finally learned to control them (that's another story). Since the age of 20 I have suffered with aches in my arms and legs, sometimes for days, weeks or months, anything from mild (bearable) to severe (painful). My understanding is that as a person low in confidence, anxiety became my norm from quite young. Not severe - I recognise there are many people who deal with much worse - but enough that eventually, after a period of months, I will become exhausted to the point of depression. My whole adult life has been loops - anxiety, depression, recovery, repeat.

In recent years I have made break throughs. Learning to control panic attacks, giving up smoking, breaking through the fear that there was something wrong with my heart (fast pulse, palpitations etc.) and finding I could run for miles, something I do on average three times a week.

However, the anxiety remains. I still get the aches. I'm tougher than I was and I'm less prone to depression. I have learned to cope with anxiety for longer periods before crashing. Today when I woke up I ached from head to toe. I made myself do a long run. I ached the whole way and I ache as I write this. But believe it or not exercise is a great coping mechanism for me as it gives me confidence - aches or no, I can run!

I've tried many different drugs. SSRIs, SNRIs. The side effects were unbearable. Diazepam has been a godsend in the last few years but its effects are lessening and I refuse to become dependent. My latest trial is Pregabalin - I'm only on day 3! If I can find a way to lower my baseline anxiety level I could solve this!!!!

I've never met anyone who experiences anxiety and depression in quite the same way. What do you think? :)

AntsyVee
20-07-17, 19:36
I'm not a psychologist, but it is clear to me that you have had a problem with anxiety over time and from an early age, which is a clear indicator of GAD.

GAD is kind of like the "Chicken Little" diagnosis. The sky is always falling. There is always something for the person with GAD to worry about. They always go to worst-case scenario. People with GAD dwell or get heavily preoccupied with worries, and are not able to change their thinking easily. They may have trouble sleeping, be highly sensitive or irritable, and have mood swings based on their worries.

Usually people diagnosed with GAD are also diagnosed with depression. Anxiety and depression are flip sides of the same coin. Once a person has become totally stressed out from the effects of their anxiety, they fall into a depression. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Physical pains accompany both anxiety and depression. I've never met anyone with either who has not had some physical pain.

I think you're "normal" for a person with anxiety and depression.

Jebdog
20-07-17, 20:37
Hi Montyzoo,

I'm in a similar boat to yourself and have been for a while, periods of anxiety(which is either GAD or OCD) not sure which and depression (although I still function to an extent) followed by recovery where I'm in control. Recently it seems to manifest itself in seemingly weekly patterns. Two weeks good, one week bad. Strange and I wonder if I've created the cycle myself. Anyone have thoughts or experience similar I wonder?

But, yes in essence I feel in a similar boat, but don't have the aching joints more adrenaline, what if scenarios and hot spells.

Jeb.

braindead
21-07-17, 11:24
Its a well-known fact that half the runners you see pounding the streets are anxiety suffers , it a way off escape . But it also wrecks your body because you dont stop you just run till your KNACKERED you running on adrenalin. No wonder you full of aches and pains THINK ABOUT IT .:wall:

Montyzoo
21-07-17, 12:11
Thanks for your responses. It helps to know I'm kind of "normal" :yesyes: braindead's response isn't too helpful. I can be well rested, not having run for several days, and still ache - like I said - aching when I wake, aching when I start running, aching when I finish. You can get aches and pains attributed to exertion and injury, but it's a different kind of pain. The difficulty for people like me is sometimes not recognising which is which. But regular exercise is really important for both mental and physical health, and if I avoided exercise every time my muscles ached, I'd be unfit, overweight and much more prone to depression. Also braindead not only do I think you're ill-informed, but also you come across kind of rude. I think you should go away and consider how you're words can hurt. Maybe you shouldn't be on this forum.

braindead
21-07-17, 16:48
Thanks for your responses. It helps to know I'm kind of "normal" :yesyes: braindead's response isn't too helpful. I can be well rested, not having run for several days, and still ache - like I said - aching when I wake, aching when I start running, aching when I finish. You can get aches and pains attributed to exertion and injury, but it's a different kind of pain. The difficulty for people like me is sometimes not recognising which is which. But regular exercise is really important for both mental and physical health, and if I avoided exercise every time my muscles ached, I'd be unfit, overweight and much more prone to depression. Also braindead not only do I think you're ill-informed, but also you come across kind of rude. I think you should go away and consider how you're words can hurt. Maybe you shouldn't be on this forum.

The reason i gave that answer is because i have friends with a mental health problems who do just that run to stay sane. They have all kinds of injuries but cannot stop running they look gaunt and ill not fit and healthy. Its an addiction to them just like any other addiction. IM NOT SAYING YOU ARE ADDICTED but many are , rain snow or blow there out there looking 10 years older than there age . Of course anxiety can cause muscle type aches the worst is a backache it just start for no reason and headache you are running 3 times a week probably miles at a time i would not be able to move never mind ache, sorry if your upset but i only post the truth has i see it . i cannot invent just for you.:shades:

Fishmanpa
21-07-17, 18:27
GAD or just anxiety?

Essentially they're the same thing. Just anxiety, with no real specific cause or several catalysts is considered general anxiety disorder.

I had what I called "scanxiety" after my treatment (stress involving follow up scans) as well as some general anxiety due to life situations (my wife has medical issues due to a severe illness). I also suffered from some depression after my heart attacks and did therapy and meds (Zoloft) until I got my feet back under me. Now, I have a "chill pill" (Xanax) I can take as needed but to be honest, it's nothing outside the norm of everyday life stress and I manage with no problems.

Positive thoughts

braindead
22-07-17, 09:03
GAD or just anxiety?

Essentially they're the same thing. Just anxiety, with no real specific cause or several catalysts is considered general anxiety disorder.

I had what I called "scanxiety" after my treatment (stress involving follow up scans) as well as some general anxiety due to life situations (my wife has medical issues due to a severe illness). I also suffered from some depression after my heart attacks and did therapy and meds (Zoloft) until I got my feet back under me. Now, I have a "chill pill" (Xanax) I can take as needed but to be honest, it's nothing outside the norm of everyday life stress and I manage with no problems.

Positive thoughts XANAX is not scripted in England twice has strong has lorazepam, take you to the planets and back.I would love to try it:wacko: