PDA

View Full Version : Neck pain and discomfort

RobinJ123
20-07-17, 18:01
I got this pain in the back of the neck, crackling, and feeling uncomfortabl, i.e when turning, or looking up, as well as pain going down to my arm and hand, and numbness in my leg.

Went to the doctor yesterday, had a checkup, he did some tests on my spine and leg.

He said my muscles seem very tight, and adviced doing certain muscular excercise and keeping hydrated. He also said it takes time, and anxiety may also be causing this so stick with CBT.

I have GAD and social anxiety, health anxiety, my mind keeps wondering if this is cervical spondylisis, he would have noticed that right?

I been doing neck excercises, I feel like I'm going to cut my head off rolling my head, or break something, the clicks and crackling are uncomfortable and I sometimes get tension headaches.

What can you advice to make things feel better.

Had this on and off for years, I work on a farm and certain work triggers it or makes it noticeable.

Anxiouscow
20-07-17, 18:21
Cervical spondylisis is not a life threatening condition. However, it can be uncomfortable, but I am 99.9% sure that your doctor would have evaluated your chances of having the condition.

Most people with health anxiety that get symptoms which radiate throughout their body, tend to believe they have some kind of incurable CNS disease, or some kind of MS. But I would assume that over 99% of these people have no serious health issues. In short, trust your doctor and listen to their advice, do the exercises, and make sure you understand that you are not going to break your neck or any bone by doing the said exercises.

To deal with the pain and uncomfortable sensations of your problem, I'd perhaps say get some over the counter medication such as aspirin or paracetamol to counter that. But I would strongly advise to stick with your CBT, and focus on this:

"Don't believe everything you think."

Trust me, it's very true.