PDA

View Full Version : Acid fear

Anxiouscow
20-07-17, 18:35
As many will be aware, there has been an alarming rise of barbaric acid attacks on civilians in London. Whether it's gang warfare, hate crimes or just blind and savage copycat attacks, it's something which is becoming desperately alarming.

Personally, as a person who is not involved in gangs, I have not overly worried about the severity of these attacks, until recently. For some reason, my mind keeps playing dirty and worrying tricks on me. I keep getting intrusive thoughts, that my family or my girlfriend will be affected by these attacks. As my girlfriend is of Pakistani descent, I just keep worrying about this too.

Any advice? Should I be worried or am I overreacting? I know this is quite a serious phobia, or maybe it's not?

eeyorelover
20-07-17, 18:59
I think especially for us fixating on 'what if' is the problem with any fear regardless of what that fear is.
We are so creative! I created whole scenarios in my head of what could happen and honestly it really did cause my life to come to a complete halt! Ended up housebound.
The only thing I found that helped me was rationalizing with myself.
Could someone come down the street and throw acid on me (for example)? Yes but I have about the same chance of winning the lottery or being struck by lightening.
Worrying about what might happen does nothing but keep you from living life.
It doesn't keep the bad things from happening but it sure as hell kept me from appreciating the things right in front of my face.
I'm sure if you asked everyone on here, most of us have these 'what if' thoughts. The real trick is to find a way to push them aside and keep moving and enjoy the present.
xxx