PDA

View Full Version : Worried about radiation exposure from CT scans.

Comet1997
20-07-17, 20:07
When I was younger ( About 8 years old) I had a chest ct scan, and here recently I had a head CT scan due to health anxiety. Could two ct scans really contribute to a higher overall risk of Cancer? I recently read an interesting study (Sorry I can't remember the source) that linked 3 or more CT scans to a higher risk of gliomas and rare cancers in adults. Is it likely that 2 CT scans could trigger Cancer? I apologize if this has been asked before. I am just curious.

Fishmanpa
20-07-17, 20:14
When I was younger ( About 8 years old) I had a chest ct scan, and here recently I had a head CT scan due to health anxiety. Could two ct scans really contribute to a higher overall risk of Cancer? I recently read an interesting study (Sorry I can't remember the source) that linked 3 or more CT scans to a higher risk of gliomas and rare cancers in adults. Is it likely that 2 CT scans could trigger Cancer? I apologize if this has been asked before. I am just curious.

Just some perspective...

I'm a Head and Neck cancer survivor. Guess what I was treated with? Yep. Radiation (and chemo). I had radiation to my neck area 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Enough rads that the skin on my neck peeled off and my mouth and throat were like raw meat, couldn't eat. lost my voice etc. To top it off, I had CT scan before each radiation treatment to help aim the rads. That's not even going into all the scans, xrays and other invasive tests I had.

I think you're good to go ;)

Positive thoughts

Comet1997
20-07-17, 21:57
Thank you for your reply. All the best to you!