PDA

View Full Version : Tick bite - eek!

tantopat
22-07-17, 11:06
When I went to bed last night I felt something that felt like a scab on my hip. I pulled it off, put on my glasses to look at it and realised (after some squinting -
it had basically been flattened) that it was a tick. I've seen been utterly freaking out at the thought of it possibly carrying lyme disease! I've barely slept out of fear, and when I did I had nightmares, which never usually happens. I don't have any symptoms so far other than a rough stomach (which I'm guessing is anxiety) and a bit of soreness (no rash other than a tiny bit of redness at the bite, though) but I still can't stop freaking out over this! Any advice/reassurance from someone else who's been in this situation would be helpful!

Cakelady
22-07-17, 15:18
Hi! Goodness I hate those things. Just the thought freaks me out! I've had 3 bites this year so far, just a lot where we live. We have a little tool to remove them, same one for the cats. I'm not an expert but I think its just a case of watching for possible signs but please bear in mind lymes is still relatively rare & can be treated with antibiotics. My immediate concern is that the whole tick was removed just because if part of it is left could cause infection, so if it broke I would contact doctor for advice but please do not panic. I hope that's helpful, don't want to worry you because just like me I'm sure you'll be fine xx

NervUs
22-07-17, 17:28
My husband was bitten and then the bullseye rash showed up 10 days later. Because I am an absolute nut, he did the out of character thing and went to the doctor, who gave antibiotics, and hubby should be a-okay.

I would just say to look out for rash or other symptoms. THe rash can be like a bullseye but not always, sometimes it is just a growing ring of red.

Do you have the tick? You can actually get them tested, your doc should be able to help you.

Don't freak out though. You are way ahead of the game because you know you've been exposed and can deal with it early if symptoms arise.

tantopat
22-07-17, 18:18
I don't have it, I'm afraid - once I got it off and realised what it was, I dropped it on the floor out of fear and can't find it again! I'll see how it is, but if it gets redder/bigger or if I feel rough, I'll go straight to the doctor. :) Until then, I'll just have to try my best not to panic too much!

NervUs
22-07-17, 23:39
I don't have it, I'm afraid - once I got it off and realised what it was, I dropped it on the floor out of fear and can't find it again! I'll see how it is, but if it gets redder/bigger or if I feel rough, I'll go straight to the doctor. :) Until then, I'll just have to try my best not to panic too much!

It will get easier as the days go on.

If it's any consolation, I came home from vacation a couple weeks ago to a mouse invasion. We have only trapped two, but I have been slowly but surely trying to deep clean- did a bunch of rooms last weekend, so have had hantavirus on the brain. I'm working on a couple more rooms this weekend, and my OCD panic meter is much lower!

I am sure you'll be fine. But, do go in if you get symptoms. That's my hantavirus strategy. I don't go in for fevers or colds but, if anything shows up in the next 6 weeks, you can bet your sweet patoot we'll be waiting, first in line, at 7:30 sharp :-)