PDA

View Full Version : java problems

edd158
15-05-07, 09:55
hi there, i'm still kinda new to this forum, and i can't seem to access the chatroom :huh: when i go to the page for it it tells me i need to install java, and when i go to the java page to download it i keep getting an error message saying something along the lines of i cannot connect to the site using your current internet proxy settings:shrug: i was wondering if someone could maybe help me out as i'm not that much of a tech whizz lol perhaps you could somehow in the future modify the chatroom in the future so non java users could access it? just a thought, great site btw.

many thanks

edd :)

nomorepanic
15-05-07, 18:59
Sounds like you have a firewall maybe?

I expect Ross will reply with more technical detail later.

No we can't modify the chat room and you will find that loads of things use Java nowadays so it would be better if you could get it working for your PC.

Are you doing this from home or work - as I can't access it from work as it is blocked?

Ross
15-05-07, 21:35
hi there, i'm still kinda new to this forum, and i can't seem to access the chatroom :huh: when i go to the page for it it tells me i need to install java, and when i go to the java page to download it i keep getting an error message saying something along the lines of i cannot connect to the site using your current internet proxy settings:shrug: i was wondering if someone could maybe help me out as i'm not that much of a tech whizz lol perhaps you could somehow in the future modify the chatroom in the future so non java users could access it? just a thought, great site btw.

many thanks

edd :)

Your Browser isn't allowing you to install Java due to security settings.

What version of Windows are you running, XP, Vista etc etc???

Also, which Browser are you using, Internet Explorer, FireFox, Opera???

Please let me know, and I can give you the relevant info on how to solve the problem.

Many Thanks

Ross

edd158
17-05-07, 09:43
hi there

i'm currently using windows xp (home addition i think) and i have internet explorer, my internet service provder's pipex, if that helps too.

many thanks :)

Ross
17-05-07, 15:38
hi there

i'm currently using windows xp (home addition i think) and i have internet explorer, my internet service provder's pipex, if that helps too.

many thanks :)

SOLUTION

You will need to use Java's 'Offline Installation';

Windows Offline installation:

The Offline installation program contains all the files you need. Go to the JRE manual download page (http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp) and click on Windows Offline Installation to download the file.

When prompted, choose "Save" in the download dialog box, and save the download package in a convenient place (e.g. save on the desktop). Do NOT choose "Open". Once the download is finished, close Internet Explorer and double click on the downloaded installation file to start the installation process. Once the installation is complete, re-load Internet Explorer and attempt to access the Chat-Room.

Let me know how you get on :)

Ross