PDA

View Full Version : Got stung by a wasp today - quick question

BrokenGirl
23-07-17, 18:09
I got stung by a wasp today in my arm, and boy did it (and still does) hurt.
I don't mind the pain, that'll ease and it doesn't bother me.
But I'm after getting a little bit paranoid about it. I'm not sure if I ever remember reading this but do you have to squeeze something out after a wasp sting? I didn't squeeze anything out but I couldn't see anything to squeeze out either. Am I imagining I read this? Do you have to do anything after getting stung by a wasp?

ServerError
23-07-17, 18:58
Some people are allergic to wasp stings and these people need to seek medical treatment pretty quickly.

You, however, are fine and you don't "need" to do anything other than get on with your life and wait for the discomfort to pass. Some may have suggestions for things you can do to alleviate the pain and discomfort, but other than that, please don't worry. People get stung by wasps all the time and it's just a minor irritant.

Stewy
23-07-17, 19:03
Just wash it. Bees leave stingers behind (this is why they can only sting once) and they should be gently removed. I use a credit card to help lift it out since I usually have my wallet on me. Wasps do not leave stingers behind. Soap and water (alcohol too if you're really concerned).

Clydesdale Epona
24-07-17, 02:19
Stuff like Germolene works really well, and soap and water, just keep the area of skin moist and try to ignore the pain (although I know it hurts like heck) only bee's leave the stinger behind so you don't have to worry about that :)

Much love :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
24-07-17, 05:45
Just wash it. Bees leave stingers behind (this is why they can only sting once) and they should be gently removed. I use a credit card to help lift it out since I usually have my wallet on me. Wasps do not leave stingers behind. Soap and water (alcohol too if you're really concerned).

Do you get green environmental points for that? :winks:

jessieblue
24-07-17, 09:21
Urgh! Sorry you got stung. It hurts like heck. I got stung twice by bees on the lawn in last few weeks! Trod on them and the second one gave me an infection which I got some penicillin for. The bees leave a stinger that you need to pull out but not wasps I dont think. Put ice on the area for a while to ease the discomfort and maybe take some painkillers. Mine wasnt too painful but my foot swelled up like a balloon and was very red and hot. If swelling continues to get worse over next 48 hrs then get it checked over but in most cases it will reduce overnight and may just leave you with some mild itching.

BrokenGirl
24-07-17, 19:55
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I'm just wondering, if it was a bee that did it would I see the stinger in my arm. I'm asking this because I'm not 100% certain that it was a wasp. There were a few wasps around but I didn't really get a good look at it cause it flew away and it happened so quick.
Would any harm come if it was a bee and I didn't squeeze it out?