PDA

View Full Version : Petechia/petechiae/cherry angiomas/red dots on skin—and finally some peace about both

KMinUSA
23-07-17, 19:09
Hi all, I have recently learned much about petechia and cherry angiomas—two distinct skin conditions that bring people a lot of fear—through my own experience. Since they cause people so much terror, I thought I'd try to help ease some of that.

Firstly, cherry angiomas are bright red dots, sort of like red moles, on the skin that come about as a result blood vessels not re-absorbing into the skin. They are totally harmless. Per my dermatologist, they are incredibly common over the age 30; genetics play a role; exercise can bring them out; stress can bring them out. Most people will get at least some. Once they appear, they will not go away, unless you opt to have them lasered.

Petechia are broken capillaries and can present in quite a few different ways. Unlike cherry angiomas, petechia will go away in a matter of days or weeks. They tend to be more brown in color than cherry angiomas, which tend to be a bright red. The lighter your skin, the easier these are to see.

This past winter, I began getting both cherry angiomas and petechia—for the first time. I get them both all over my body. Most of my cherry angiomas are tiny...some like the tiniest little pin prick, hardly even noticeable.

My petechia can get a bit larger and come in different sizes.

Here is the thing about petechia. For some reason, if you Google them, the results are ONLY terrifying. They *can* be associated with horrific diseases. But overwhelmingly, they will not be. Why Google doesn't present the full spectrum of reasons behind these little red dots on the skin, I will never know.

Like so many here, when I googled "tiny red dots on skin," I was presented with all kinds of terrifying diseases and blood disorders. I only came across one article that said they can also come about for common, harmless reasons, yet the reasons were not stated.

So like so many here, I fell down the terror rabbit hole and couldn't get leukemia out of my head for months. Seeking reassurance, I read all kinds of chat room conversations about these on various sites. I finally came across something called capillaritis.

Capillaritis is not a medical term, as I understand it, but a general term that refers to various harmless conditions that can cause the capillaries to leak into the skin now and then. (Do not quote me on this, but it seems that the dots on skin of capillaritis are referred to as both purpua and petechia; I'm unclear on the difference, but it exacerbates the confusion to be sure.)

I was finally able to get into see my dermatologist. Being a hot and humid summer where I live, I had noticed quite a few more of them on my legs in recent weeks. I began to notice a pattern: on the very hot days when I was outside walking a lot, I would get a huge number of them...10 to 15 on each leg. And then a smattering all over my body. They'd go away in a matter of days and generally wouldn't come back in large numbers until I was outside in the heat again. (But to be sure, one would pop up here and there even if I wasn't outside a lot.)

I also noticed that after a particularly hot shower, I would emerge with some.

My dermatologist took one look at them and said, "This is what's called capillaritis." She went on to say that it's totally harmless. Heat and sweat can bring them out. Exercise can bring them out. She also said she has some patients who've noticed they get them after they've been drinking b/c alcohol thins the blood. And as we age, our skin thins, so they become more apparent, too.

Per my own research, they can emerge as a result of some sort of allergic reaction to a medication or food. They can happen as a result of your body fighting a virus. While they are most common in legs (b/c legs bear the lion's share of our body weight and our leg veins sustain a lot of pressure), they can appear anywhere. I get them on my upper legs, arms, abdomen, chest, neck, face...I very well could get them on my back, but I can't see back there.

Long before these started presenting all over my body for reasons I didn't yet understand, I have always gotten petechia on my shoulder when I would travel. My heavy carry on bag would mildly traumatize the skin there, resulting in petechia, like tiny little bruises. (I never thought twice about them then b/c to me there was a clear cause and effect. It wasn't until they started showing up all over my body that I freaked out.)

At the dermatologist, there was no need to do bloodwork. My dermatologist knew immediately what was going on by looking at the red dots. Common, harmless, and something I will likely simply have for the rest of my life.

Sometimes capillaritis comes with itchiness. For me, it does not. But if it does, she said there are steroid creams people can use to alleviate the itchiness.

Why in God's name one must know to google capillaritis to get to the many and much more likely mundane, harmless reasons for petechia / purpua to present instead of google returning it as an option when you google petechia (which it does not), I do not understand. I have come to believe that Google itself is a hypochondriac!

Once and for all: petechia are common and harmless in the overwhelming majority of cases and not a cause for panic.

(Also, from what I have gathered, if they appear due to an underlying scary disease, they typically appear at the very latest stages...long after other symptoms would have presented to alert you to see a doctor. Which is to say, you'd already know long before petechia present in these cases something serious was going on.)

I should note, as a final point, that in my experience, many doctors will look at these on the skin and not know much about them. Go to a dermatologist if you can, not a GP or internist, for peace of mind with these.

Other things to google to get at capillaritis are Schamberg's disease or pigmented purpua dermatoses. These are not scary things to google, I promise. They are reassuring things to google.

Take heart. If you have these, odds are *overwhelmingly* on your side. These things are nuisances and harmless.

budgie1979
25-07-17, 18:44
Thanks for your post. It's nice to have a name for this harmless version--google definitely wants us to believe that petechiae=imminent death.

I just started getting these on occasion this past spring, and at this point I believe I just have somewhat weak capillaries. Most of the time I can point to some minor trauma/stress that would have caused it, which is comforting. In general, they occur on my arms--sometimes right in the crook of the elbow where you would get a blood draw. If I run longer/harder than usual or on a hot day I will get some on my legs. I recently had a short bout of vomiting, and had them all around my eyes (even one in my eye). Once, I was putting something a bit heavy on a high shelf, and actually witnessed it happen--I could see the blood spread under the skin and darken from bright red to brownish over the course of an hour. That one sent me into a panic and I ran to urgent care (yeah, not proud of that), and the doctor didn't know what it was (thought it was a bug bite) but when I asked about petechiae said if I didn't have multiples of them on an ongoing basis there was little chance it was anything serious.

Halle0587
21-01-18, 03:46
Thank you for some positivity! I know this is an older thread but it’s reassuring.

Bastett
21-01-18, 11:40
Thank you! I remember I got them when I was somewhat 14-15 on my breasts only! In large quantities! I wasn't exactly scared back then, i did not have health anxiety and access to google whenever I wanted!

Now I am getting them again, since the day I found out I was pregnant. I found out really early, like 9 dpo, when my HCG levels were still very low. So rationally I think that my body tend to produce them because of hormones. My breasts grew a lot when I got them in my teenage years so hormones must have been involved then too.

When they popped up this time I was scared of leukemia because just like the OP I googled them and that was the thing that came out in most articles.

I only got them on my upper arms and lately on my breasts as well. These are the areas where my skin is the most fragile and thin. I got them after big bouts of coughing or straining. OR - and that is a major one - during hot showers! When I think of that, it is totally what it is - I usually have large, black bruises after I visit hot sauna, so that is a no-no for me. I've had this problem with hot saunas for ages and nothing in my blood work suggests something sinister. My platelets are 300+, and nothing is out of whack .My GP even did protrombin, APTL and other things that are about blood coagulation problems but luckily all were normal. So that is just the way my body works.

I can get petechiae on my breast by simply scratching them.

ThroatGoat
15-05-18, 17:05
Just stumbled on this old thread and it is certainly a little gem. Especially for the person who has been concerned about these recently.

I tend not to take much noticed of them until seeing that they could be a sign of something bad.

I've been getting them for quite a few years and I'm only 30. :blush:

sam93
07-06-18, 12:44
I stumbled across this thread, I’m currently at a walk in clinic waiting for the results of blood tests for why I have them.

ThroatGoat
07-06-18, 14:48
I stumbled across this thread, I’m currently at a walk in clinic waiting for the results of blood tests for why I have them.

Because they're natural and harmless.

But saying that; I'm worrying about them too now, never bothered me before though! :wacko:

I'm sure your blood tests will be fine! Let us know when they come back clear. :yesyes:

hlmmurphy
29-07-18, 16:46
Thank you for this post, I just spent the morning panicked about a rash that keeps popping up on my husband. Fearing the worst I was in a total state of anxiety. Still going to have him see our doctor this week but I feel a hell of a lot better after reading this and doing some further research.

Anthony888
10-08-21, 20:11
I came across this thread as well…I keep waking up with these over the last couple of months randomly…they will pop up a few at a time, usually on underside of arms/back/chest…they are definitely tiny round red bruises. They are flat and do not blanch. Allergist/immunologist and derm both confirmed they were vascular. Had full blood work up (CBC, liver, ANA, ESR, amongst other things) and everything came back fine. That was around a month ago. I am still having them appear weekly. Currently one on underside of forearm and one on back of neck. I just don’t know what to make of it, and it still worries me.

KMinUSA
19-08-21, 14:51
I came across this thread as well…I keep waking up with these over the last couple of months randomly…they will pop up a few at a time, usually on underside of arms/back/chest…they are definitely tiny round red bruises. They are flat and do not blanch. Allergist/immunologist and derm both confirmed they were vascular. Had full blood work up (CBC, liver, ANA, ESR, amongst other things) and everything came back fine. That was around a month ago. I am still having them appear weekly. Currently one on underside of forearm and one on back of neck. I just don’t know what to make of it, and it still worries me.

They are *truly* nothing to worry about. I started this thread 4 years ago—I'm still alive and well! And I still get these things on the regular. In fact, I woke up with one on my forehead. At worst, they are a nuisance. They are nothing of concern at all and not worth putting thought to.

Anthony888
22-08-21, 05:46
They are *truly* nothing to worry about. I started this thread 4 years ago—I'm still alive and well! And I still get these things on the regular. In fact, I woke up with one on my forehead. At worst, they are a nuisance. They are nothing of concern at all and not worth putting thought to.

Thank you for this!

Washerwoman
06-06-23, 00:06
Yes, as the person above said, thank you. I’ve spent the last few hours in a blind panic after googling about my son and feeling sick with worry after seeing a couple of small patches on his feet. I’ll take him to the doctor tomorrow to get it checked out but he’s otherwise fine so maybe I can stop panicking completely tonight. I never usually get HA about my kids but this has sent me spiralling.