PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks In General

Frankie23
15-05-07, 11:45
Had my 1st one in Nov just gone hadnt a clue what it was until i collapsed and was taken to hospital, 2nd attack followed the next weekend after that ive had partial ones where ive felt like im going to have one but have avoided it by pre occupying myself.

Now im at the stage where ive had 3 in 7 days and thinking is it time to go back to the doctors as i have no idea what is triggering them. sometimes i feel dizzy and feel like my body feels like lead aswell as blurry eyes so im wondering if its all linked.

Im just getting to the stage where im petrified of going outside - i broke down in tears because my bf forced me to walk up the main shopping street which was crowded with hundereds of people - i managed to walk up the street not after plenty of coaxing from him

On sat just gone i got up went to walk out of my door but couldnt physically go out for 4 hours im forcing myself to do a lot of things i am hesitant at

I work a lot of hours aswell as studying full time so maybe being over tired / not having regular meals may be to blame

At the moment im searching for answers as i feel completely helpless

blackie
15-05-07, 13:04
Hiya
Im sorry to hear your going through such a rough patch. It would be a good idea to go and see your doc and see if he has any suggestions.
There are lots of reasons why panic attacks occur some obvious, some not so obvious. It sounds like you need to slow down abit. Do you have to work as your studing full time? Thats an awful lot of pressure. Have you tried relaxation stuff, that might help.
Also be sure to eat healthy meals at regular times, drink plenty of water and get a good niughts sleep. These are invaluable to our every day health.
Take care
Blackie

Frankie23
15-05-07, 14:14
My doctor wasnt very helpful blackie he basically said to breath didnt show me how to etc

Im using bachs rescue remedy which i got from my local aromatherapy place. I think i do need to slow down i finish uni for the summer now so im going to see what less pressure lots of hours working and im in the process of working on a healthy'ish' sort of diet - trying to force myself to have a breakfast and ive quit smoking

just feels impossible when im searching for ways to prevent them but i dont want to cut everything out x

blackie
15-05-07, 15:36
Hiya
i have heard that the rescue remedy is good. I tried it once but hated the taste.lol.
I have just quit smoking this year. New years resolution. Its hard at first but after the first week it gets easier. Nicotine patches made the difference for me. Once i had quit i felt so much better. My breathing felt better and my anxatiy was lower. So it is worth doing but only at the right time for you. Dont make yourself undergo the extra pressure unless its something that you really want to do. But if you do good luck and i am always here if u need a chat.
Eating breakfast is a good idea too. im the worlds worst at that. I have never really eaten breakfast. Banana's are good and i like having a smoothie some times. Apple, pair and melon makes a nice one if you can be bothered to make it.
I dont really know what to do about your doctor. You could ask him if he could refer you somewhere else who know more about it.
Take care and hope you feel better
Blackie

Frankie23
15-05-07, 16:25
Thanks for excellent advice Blackie i want to quit smoking mean ive cut down from 20 a day to just having a few cigarettes with a drink if im out socialing did it cold turkey just need that final push

Il get back in touch with my doctor see what he can suggest x

Tricky Tree
15-05-07, 18:57
Sorry to hear that the doctor wasnt much use.

Is there another GP in the practice that you could see?

I first saw a male doctor who wasnt at all sympathetic and whilst not saying it, you could imagine his thoughts were that I was wasting his time and that it wasnt serious or I was exaggerating.

I asked to see any other doctor the following time and all other ones have been better.

As a bloke, I have to say that the female doctors have been a lot more willing to listen and have been more understanding.

Part of my symptoms were bloatedness and really painful stomach aches. Ive cut out fizzy pop and dont drink tea or coffee (caffiene) which Ive found has helped.

Not a popular choice, but apparently heavy drinking sessions affect the release of seratonin (nice chemicals released by the brain). Dont give up booze, but take it easy and see if that makes a difference.

Tried the rescue remedy, but not really sure of the impact of it.

I would suggest docs and if you can afford it, counselling. Im paying £40 per week for it - it aint cheap!

Good luck.

blackie
15-05-07, 19:07
Hiya
Nice one hun. You can do the final push. Your fab
Blackie

nomorepanic
15-05-07, 20:09
Have a good read of the website pages again especially the First Steps one and coping.

Loads of advice on there and breathing techniques.

It may help you get back on track again.

Frankie23
16-05-07, 08:39
[quote=Tricky Tree;219868]Sorry to hear that the doctor wasnt much use.

Is there another GP in the practice that you could see?

Not a popular choice, but apparently heavy drinking sessions affect the release of seratonin (nice chemicals released by the brain). Dont give up booze, but take it easy and see if that makes a difference.

Tried the rescue remedy, but not really sure of the impact of it.

quote]Theres another doctor which i could try

Ive had a few heavy weekends in recent times where ive been out drinking heavily 2 nights in a row

jill
16-05-07, 10:11
Hi Frakie.

It is very hard to know and understand panic, is'nt it? When I was acute I found it hard knowing where my panic had come from and why it was still there, finding it very hard to do the things I have always done, eg, going out, being scared every day. When I found this great site, I was told to try to keep doing the things I have always done. NOT to let panic stop me, this was very hard most of the time.

What you may find Frankie that you have found the anwser's for yoursefl, the stress of uni, all the presure that comes with uni, the not eating right, the late nights drinking and lack of sleep.

What I found out for myself was, the panic was still there becasue for me, I feared the panic, feared fear, it you know what I mean. Feard the panic and all the symptoms that came with it. I had to read and read all about panic, what happens to the body, when it paniced, try dame hard not to fear panic, ohhhh thats hard.

I had to stop dinking alcahol, I told myself, just for now, just untill I can sort myself out. When we drink our minds don't work that well, the day after our minds are slower and we are more prown to anxiety, when we feel anxiety, it can trigger panic. I have not had a pa in a long time, but last year, I went to a wedding, knowing dame well I had to get up early in the morning to fly on holiday. Ohhhh wrong, wrong, wrong, I know I should have never had a skin full. I will not say, I had a pa, boarding the plane, I have tought myself not to make panic or high anxiety to important, what is more important to me is, I stopped panic in its tracks and had a high anxiety attack, had a good holiday, thats more important, looking at the positive more than the negatives.

When my daughter had her blip last year. I wanted her to talk about it. I know that talking about panic can help, but I was doing something wrong. I was phoning many, many theripist to ask what I was doing wrong. I finally found one I could talk to on the phone. She said that panic is like trauma, she said that every time I tried to talk to my daughter, she new I was trying to help and could see what I was doing, but for my daughter it was not helping, so every time I talked to her, my daughter relived that trauma of panic. Ohh good advice, I stoped talking about panic and anxiety to her for a good few weeks,, it did take my daughter 5 monthes to get back into school, but she did it :yesyes:

So, what I am trying to say is, that you have had truama, your mind relives that trauma, You are still under alot of stress with uni. I know its dame hard for you and my heart goes out to you, but try and keep doing the things you have always done, I know this is NOT easy.

What you may find is, symptoms of anxiety, feelings within your body, reminds you very quickly of your truama of panic, and this may be triggering your panic.

You talk about partial one's, not sure what you means? I was tought to number my panic, anxiety. 10 being full blown panic, 1 being normal. When you say partial, your anxiety may be, mm, at a 8 at this point. You say you stopped it from going to full blown panic by occupying yourself, WOW Frankie, thats great, this is a step forward. You noticed that if your disctaract yourself fully from the fear, you can stop the panic, thats great Frankie, WELL DONE. Please see this as a positive, its sooo important to see your progress, no matter how small you think it may be.

Please don't feel that you are helpless Frankie, this will only feed your anxiety. I know its dame hard for you right now, but keep looking keep searching, tell yourself that you CAN get better, keep telling yourself this, its sooo important,

Read this site, inside out upside down. It helped me sooo much. I still have some porbs, more to do with SA, but I am learning to deal with that. I even have a prob posting on replies on this site, but learning on that to. The mind is a funny thing.:mad: :lac:

Remember doc's are only GP's, they don't know much about panic, (well some doc's do) so you could go back and ask if there are any groups in your area, or ask to be refeard for CBT. I have read alot of good things on cbt.

Read all you can about pa's, anxiety, there are some great books you can get, if you put in a search, there are many threads on great books.

Here are some links on beathing,

Breathing technique

How Do You Do The Breathing (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4042)
Breathing.. wow (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4037)
Breathing Techniques (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4044)
CONTROLLED BREATHING (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5041)
Working to get better, have a few Q's to ask... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5412)
Insatiable Mouth / Chest Breather???? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7113)

Not sure if I've been of any help, but what I want you to know is, you are not alone.

There are 2 members in my family who have had panic, my daughter and I, we both have not had a pa in a long time. I just want you to know that it is possible to stop them, with alot of hard work time and support.

You take care.

LOVE JILLXX

Frankie23
16-05-07, 10:55
Thanks for all the advice Jill i will print the pages off and have a good read x

Trev
16-05-07, 11:45
Remember that when having panic attacks your whole body becomes highly sensitised and it doesn't take much to start another as the body is "primed" waiting for the next danger.

De-sensitise your body using the techniques described throughout the site.