PDA

View Full Version : ESA ??

Erin97x
24-07-17, 14:59
Hi had my medical assessment for esa and haven't been able to sleep since. So nervous! Feel like it was a test rather than something to help me get better. Does anyone else who has anxiety depression and social anxiety claim ESA or had a medical? What happened during yours?

LDoubleE
24-07-17, 15:06
Yea.. told them I was agoraphobic and haven't left the house since 2016. They found me as fit for work. So now I'm on something called work related program.. I'm not sure what happens all I was told is in supposed to be attending an interview.. ha. Good luck I'm not having a mental breakdown over some money. I'd rather starve to death.

In conclusion.. If you can breath. You are fit for work and will probably get put back on JSA or stay on ESA but some sort of catch.

They aren't very helpful either.. I was doing fine early 2016 they put me on something where I worked at the job centre for 4 weeks. I had a blast even though it was still dull. I was happy I was doing something. Soon as the 4 weeks were over I got back into a slump of not having anything to do and I ended up agoraphobic and can't even go out the front door without panicking.. life ain't fair sometimes..

Usually after the assessment give it a few weeks and you'll get a letter stating what they have decided.. Good luck with the results. Maybe you've got a nicer DWP than I have.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Erin97x
24-07-17, 15:12
I know they hardly pass anyone. My assessment didn't last that long say about 10 minutes. I took a family member who's a mental health support worker and she was talking for me and the man interrupted and said he needed to hear it from me. Which was a big mistake as I get nervous and give one word answers so I didn't say much which will probably go against me. Absolutely sh**ing myself now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LDoubleE
24-07-17, 15:43
Yea they pretty brutal. I've had 2 first one I attended at the place and was found fit. Second time was at my house.. still fit even though I explained I can't go out without panicking.. nice that you have a mental health support worker in your family though, wish I had that. I didn't get much support when I first had anxiety.

The fact you went to the place will make them think you are capable of work. I'm not one to judge but if someone has anxiety with face to face contact or talking to people I'd say that isn't very easy to get a job in the first place.. too bad I don't work in the medical profession. However I'm sure they get a lot of fake people.. it is relatively easy to fake panic attacks. It's not something you can show. However I think they should look deeper into cases.. too work out the fakes from the actual sufferers.

I know it's nerve racking, but you can always appeal their decision.. can't say I've ever had success. But everywhere is different. I don't know your situation or financial situation but as for me I'm pretty screwed if they stopped my payments but it's not like I'm going to just be free from agoraphobia just because they stop them.. They got some pretty heartless people working there. You've done all you can do though for now so just try chill until you get the letter, I just don't want to lie to you and tell you "you're not going to be fit for work and get all the help you need".. not the case. If I as an agoraphobic is seen as fit... You know.. but you never know at the same time. Your area might be different.

ShaunRyder
24-07-17, 16:14
I have only ever been on JSA not ESA but I know they are getting more strict with ESA because alot of people were using excuses they were ill pshyically or mentally even when they were not just so could claim the benifets, its a shame because it has affected people who really do have problems that stop them working such as yourself and others. I hope it all goes well for you though! :yesyes:

Erin97x
24-07-17, 17:23
It's terrible they meet you once for 5 minutes and decide if you look like you have a mental illness or not! Your doctors should really be the people who decide now I am going to be worrying up until I find out if I am fit or unfit for work which will probably cause me to stress even more because they are deeming everyone fit for work. So what are you doing now how are you coping for money ect did they make you sign on jsa?

LDoubleE
24-07-17, 18:08
It's terrible they meet you once for 5 minutes and decide if you look like you have a mental illness or not! Your doctors should really be the people who decide now I am going to be worrying up until I find out if I am fit or unfit for work which will probably cause me to stress even more because they are deeming everyone fit for work. So what are you doing now how are you coping for money ect did they make you sign on jsa?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkTry not to worry. You just keep pleading your case. Also try talking to your doctor about getting a letter of sickness if you feel that is what you need.

They didn't stop my money sorry, I worded it weirdly. Basically I'm on ESA but there are 2 groups. Support group, And work related group. Support group don't do anything. They just get medical support I guess. The work related program basically have to attend interviews with their work coach. You'll get paid more though on the bright side.

I meant by stopping my money. I have asked to be called on the phone for my interviews.. I have been told they know about this and I was to be contacted. So far nothing however I'm supposed to be having an appointment tomorrow. If they are expecting me to turn up then I don't know if they will stop my money because obviously I won't be there.

Erin97x
24-07-17, 18:11
Ahh so you "passed" your medical but got placed in the wrong group? How long was your medical and did you speak or get someone to do it for you?

LDoubleE
24-07-17, 19:01
Ahh so you "passed" your medical but got placed in the wrong group? How long was your medical and did you speak or get someone to do it for you?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'd say half passed.. They are still expecting an agoraphobic to go out and find a job. If they can get me one working from home I'd happily do it.. can't see it happening though, they won't hire me without an interview..

My medical assessment lasted about half an hour and I spoke for myself. I don't have social anxiety, quite the opposite. Talking in person you wouldn't believe I have anxiety I'm quite a confident person, just don't expect me to go out anywhere lol.

Erin97x
24-07-17, 19:06
Can you not get a letter from your drs explaining you can't leave the house? Or contact citizens advice to see if they can help?

Mine only lasted literally 10 minutes and I gave him one word answers simply yes and no as I hate explaining my situation and get really nervous that I am saying the wrong thing. I can't afford to have my money stopped so I am not going to be able to rest till I get a decision. My assessment was on Thursday (my birthday) which is even worse. I did have my nails done as my sister is a nail tech so I don't think that helped but she does only do them for me as it helps with my depression if I have nice nails lol. Just really nervous now! How long did you wait for your decision? Did you "pass" first time as you stated you had two medicals

LDoubleE
24-07-17, 22:23
Tried before but it's a complicated situation with my doctor.. too much to explain but basically no. He knows I've had anxiety since I was 12 but he won't sign me off as an agoraphobic. Not sure why.. never been to CAB.

Hope you had a decent birthday despite having to deal with all that. [emoji4]

I waited for about 4 weeks. However he said mine would take longer because he had to come see me. So I guess you'll get yours in 2 to 3 week. The first time was when I could still go out and could function just used to panic in certain situations I was 18 then. I didn't "pass" first time, and I was put straight back on JSA. Then another few years on JSA got moved to a group called A4e, now they are called something else but they pushed me to agoraphobia. They just wanted me to spend hours in their office to job search and i just couldn't cope it was always busy and it was a huge building..

Lifeofanxiety
25-07-17, 00:04
I had mine and put it this way, the outcome depends very much on the area and who you see.

I had no medical evidence to provide really. The assessment people had asked my GP for a summary of my health problems with anxiety before the assessment and that backed up what I told them in the ESA50.

My assessment was nothing like I thought it would be. It was almost as if they had decided they were going to write a report to the dwp saying in their opinion i'm unfit to work within 5 minutes of looking at me.

The whole thing was more of a chat really. The assessor didn't do much typing at all on the keyboard.

Turns out I got the ESA support group. I will be re-assessed in a year. Mind you, there's only 6 months until then and I haven't been able to make any progress. So i'm dreading the reassessment as I really don't think I will be as lucky next time

Erin97x
25-07-17, 00:34
If I was you I'd email CAB and see what they advise. It's such a horrible process they need better mental health care and maybe actual mental health workers assessing you. I hardly spoke don't know if that will go for or against me. I am not agoraphobic but I can't go out much even to the shop. They asked me how the shopping gets done and house work ect but my mum does all that as I still live at home. I am dreading to see what happens next. Such a scary process especially as it's mental and not physical.

LDoubleE
25-07-17, 09:51
I will give them a try if I feel the need to, like if they expect me to turn up to appointments. It does feel as if they don't really care much. There's no support with the DWP, it's more about "do you feel well enough to get a job yet?"..

Try not to think the worst outcome. You might be alright, you may just get what I was given, in which case then just ask to be called instead of going to the interview, might still suck because you have to talk on the phone but at least you'll be in the comfort of your home. I still live with parents too, Not exactly ideal, hate bringing them down with me.. They shouldn't have to look after my ass at 23.

Just take it easy, there's always a way. They can't force you to do something you mentally aren't capable of right? Just keep pleading your case.