PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety with fear of Drs

lisa010265
24-07-17, 18:46
Hi to anyone reading this.

I have lived with GAD for 30+ years, long before it had a lable! Incorporated into this is, amongst others, health anxiety. Whilst my life is ruled by feeling anxious, I have a fear of Drs/hospitals etc, unless it's for psychological issues. I can go if it's accompanying a family member.

As a result, I haven't had a smear for 25 years, am terrified I might need an X-ray or scan for something, etc etc., but worry constantly about having a physical, terminal illness. As my dad used to say 'once they get their hands in you, that's it'.

When my parents were still alive, my mum offered to pay for me to have a full body scan, but added 'the thing is, you'll either think they've missed something or the fear will return within a month'. She was a very wise lady.

I'm now 52, just don't want to spend the rest of my days feeling like this. Every day there is something to worry about; tumour, stroke, heart attack, DVT, aneurism. God, HA is so awful z😥

Weasley123
24-07-17, 23:55
I have the same issues 39. Haven't been to dr in 3 years. I panic st thought my health anxiety is way worse when i do go I'm currently petrified to go to gyno in December to get my birth cibtrol pill refilled. I know my blood pressure will be like 160 plus due to anxiety. Do u go to drs ever

neuroticcat
25-07-17, 00:22
Same here. I didn't go to an annual checkup in 4 years. Last time I went because I didn't have health anxiety at the time. I did schedule an appointment this year but I cancelled the last minute because I was too afraid to go. I'm very scared that the doctor will tell me that I have some sort of terminal illness.
Oh, and I also think that both of your parents are right.

grandma meme
25-07-17, 00:49
I use to think like this..but I'm now 57 and spent my whole adult life worrying bout dieing so much I forgot to live...now I put all my worrys with jesus and live life...worrying will not add one day to your life, but it will take away life of your days..i guess with age comes wisdom...plus the I don't give a c.r.a.p attidute...lol...but the peace of mind you just might get is priceless...might as well get the physical seeing your worrying any ways...you can only benefit from this physical...

roseanxiety
07-08-17, 19:58
I use to think like this..but I'm now 57 and spent my whole adult life worrying bout dieing so much I forgot to live...now I put all my worrys with jesus and live life...worrying will not add one day to your life, but it will take away life of your days..i guess with age comes wisdom...plus the I don't give a c.r.a.p attidute...lol

I am currently very worried about my BP. But taking it makes it go up even higher. I have had this anxiety my whole life and it paralyses me with fear when I have to go to the doctor . I took my BP and it was so high 169/90 so I relaxed for 5 min and it came down to 141/86. That's still too high but I am so worried about it so it won't come down now.

Thanks for being a sounding board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

I use to think like this..but I'm now 57 and spent my whole adult life worrying bout dieing so much I forgot to live...now I put all my worrys with jesus and live life...worrying will not add one day to your life, but it will take away life of your days..i guess with age comes wisdom...plus the I don't give a c.r.a.p attidute...lol

I am currently very worried about my BP. But taking it makes it go up even higher. I have had this anxiety my whole life and it paralyses me with fear when I have to go to the doctor . I took my BP and it was so high 169/90 so I relaxed for 5 min and it came down to 141/86. That's still too high but I am so worried about it so it won't come down now.

Thanks for being a sounding board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grandma meme
22-08-17, 13:15
only way to break this fear of dieing is to realize where your going when you do...aint no way around it, none of us stays here long...that's a fact...please seek him...he will give you the peace your searching for...