PDA

View Full Version : Balding really is a curse

Duckbruck
25-07-17, 00:49
-never know when it's going to happen
-no real way to determine IF it will ever happen. Everyone in your family can have a full head of hair but you can still get f*cked over by great grandparents genes
-no real way to determine what stage it's going to stop. Some guys lose all of their hair, while others only get a receding hairline
-destroys your self confidence, even though you pretend like it doesn't
-drops you 3-4 points on the looks scale and makes you look 10-15 years older
-requires you to buzz/shave your head every few days or else it will be really noticeable
-still no cure, and all the treatments suck or have lots of side effects
-only a small percentage of guys can pull off a shaved head
-your dad still has a full head of hair while you look like an old man

What is the evolutionary purpose behind this? It's one of the worst things that can happen to a man, appearance wise.

in b4 Jason Statham, Sean Connery, or Bruce Willis pics

MyNameIsTerry
25-07-17, 05:18
Telly Savalas. What woman could refuse a lick of his lollypop? :winks:

Fishmanpa
25-07-17, 13:19
As a man who lost his hair and sports the Mr. Clean look, I can tell you it's not been any of the things you mentioned for me at all. When I was really losing it in my late 20's/early 30's, I just kept it close shaved. Then... in my late thirties I went with the totally shaved look. Honestly, as a newly divorced man at that time, it was the best thing I could have done for my social life. You'd be surprised how many women (and beautiful women) really like a shaved head ;) Never affected me in a negative way. Embrace the skin!

Positive thoughts

Magic
25-07-17, 14:09
It does not matter to me if a man has hair or not. All the men you mention are gorgeous. The bloke who used to live down our road in his forties is bald completely. His wife is beautiful. My husband had a lot of hair, but is now bald. It makes no difference to me at all.

Hollow
26-07-17, 10:37
Agree with all your points mate, this is one of the worst things that could happen to a guy especially when you're still single and looking. It destroys your confidence and your manhood. There's no doubt that the majority of the women don't like twice at a guy who doesn't have a full head of hair as it's a sign of his virility.

KK77
26-07-17, 10:50
Agree with all your points mate, this is one of the worst things that could happen to a guy especially when you're still single and looking. It destroys your confidence and your manhood. There's no doubt that the majority of the women don't like twice at a guy who doesn't have a full head of hair as it's a sign of his virility.

Are you losing your hair Hollow?

I really think it depends on your confidence level and the woman: there are some who prefer hair but also those who find personality more attractive than a mullet...

Hollow
26-07-17, 11:08
Are you losing your hair Hollow?

I really think it depends on your confidence level and the woman: there are some who prefer hair but also those who find personality more attractive than a mullet...

Hi KK,

Yeah my hair thinned out when i was in my early 20s, it happened very quickly basically within a month or so and i couldn't do anything about it. My confidence levels were already down and this was just another nail in the coffin. I think women preferring personality over a full head of hair is myth and a fairytale as i noticed getting less looks from women straight away, although i didn't have a great personality either.

KK77
26-07-17, 11:33
Hi KK,

Yeah my hair thinned out when i was in my early 20s, it happened very quickly basically within a month or so and i couldn't do anything about it. My confidence levels were already down and this was just another nail in the coffin. I think women preferring personality over a full head of hair is myth and a fairytale as i noticed getting less looks from women straight away, although i didn't have a great personality either.

I think the "virility" connection is also a myth as too much testosterone can cause hair loss. Perhaps women are wired to somehow find "hairy" men sexually attractive? However, the young generation today being so highly conditioned by materialistic "values" and attributes must also play a negative role. There was a time when men were shaving their heads to emulate Vin Diesel. But now the mullet look seems to be back :lac:

Phuzella
26-07-17, 12:13
I'd say there are plenty of worse things than losing your hair

Magic
26-07-17, 14:36
Oh yes that is true. The money people are having hair transplants these days.
They are that rich they don't know what to do with their money.:shrug:

Bigboyuk
26-07-17, 15:50
Yes agree put up with I say it doesn't change the real you does it I have and I know in my case it's a genetic cause for me so l have learned to accept it! Cheers

Fishmanpa
26-07-17, 16:51
I always said I have more face to kiss :yesyes:

Positive thoughts

Duckbruck
26-07-17, 20:20
I'd say there are plenty of worse things than losing your hair

of course there are... so what?

Fishmanpa
26-07-17, 21:46
of course there are... so what?

Exactly... As in it applies to losing your hair.

Positive thoughts

Duckbruck
26-07-17, 22:32
Exactly... As in it applies to losing your hair.

Positive thoughts

Why are women fighting cellulite, aging skin, muffin tops, leg hair etc.? Why are they investing ten thousands of Dollars ($$$) into liposuctions, faceliftings, breast implants, pumped-up lips etc.? Why obsess with these things when there are plenty of worse things than the aforementioned!?

Buster70
26-07-17, 22:40
When mine started going in my thirties I'd be looking in the mirror thinking oh no I'm turning into the guy from the goonies ( hey you guys ) once you accept it's going and buzz it it's quite liberating and I get a lot more attention from women now , if you have that I'm bald and don't give f&@k look about you that's attractive , probably an evolution thing looking p&@sed off and grumpy makes a good protector .
And look at the good points no more hair styles to regret cheaper hair cuts , and if you murder someone no smart arse csi is going to find hair as DNA evidence .
Of all my worries and I have a lot losing my hair isn't one of them and it soon grows back in middle age it's just that it's in your ears and nose , hair today gone tomorrow.
:D

Fishmanpa
26-07-17, 23:01
Why are women fighting cellulite, aging skin, muffin tops, leg hair etc.? Why are they investing ten thousands of Dollars ($$$) into liposuctions, faceliftings, breast implants, pumped-up lips etc.? Why obsess with these things when there are plenty of worse things than the aforementioned!?

Vanity IMO. Of course, taking care of yourself by eating right, exercising and such as well as general skin care is just good for you and common sense. The same applies to men.

Of all my worries and I have a lot losing my hair isn't one of them and it soon grows back in middle age it's just that it's in your ears and nose , hair today gone tomorrow.

Ain't that the truth! I have to shave my head and ears as well as trim the weeds growing in my nose ~lol~ But as I said, bald has been good to me. I even dressed up as Mr. Clean for Halloween a couple of times. I bear a striking resemblance to him! Ya think?

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19269_252403726088_6062242_n.jpg?oh=7e7b8e573fffe4 2413321ccb80966590&oe=5A0181B7

The eyebrows are rabbit hair ;)

Positive thoughts, clean floors and head!

KK77
26-07-17, 23:37
Vanity IMO. Of course, taking care of yourself by eating right, exercising and such as well as general skin care is just good for you and common sense. The same applies to men.

Ain't that the truth! I have to shave my head and ears as well as trim the weeds growing in my nose ~lol~ But as I said, bald has been good to me. I even dressed up as Mr. Clean for Halloween a couple of times. I bear a striking resemblance to him! Ya think?

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19269_252403726088_6062242_n.jpg?oh=7e7b8e573fffe4 2413321ccb80966590&oe=5A0181B7

The eyebrows are rabbit hair ;)

Positive thoughts, clean floors and head!

Two creepy caterpillars I say! :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
27-07-17, 01:40
And look at the good points no more hair styles to regret cheaper hair cuts , and if you murder someone no smart arse csi is going to find hair as DNA evidence .

If only they could find what causes it and give us the option of moving it slighlty lower so we could get rid of shaving! What a pain the arse that is!

You know you've hit a life milestone when the hairs in the ears start up! :weep:

Bigboyuk
27-07-17, 11:19
If only they could find what causes it and give us the option of moving it slighlty lower so we could get rid of shaving! What a pain the arse that is!

You know you've hit a life milestone when the hairs in the ears start up! :weep: Yes so true Terry what a pain in the ole hole that is. :whistles: If I could afford electrolysis I would have that done but its expensive think though the overall savings would out weigh the current way I get rid of my unwanted hairs :) Cheers

Fishmanpa
27-07-17, 13:05
If I could afford electrolysis I would have that done

You could always try hot wax for those pesky ear and nose hairs :scared15: Could you imagine the pain? :ohmy:

Positive thoughts

Bigboyuk
27-07-17, 13:35
You could always try hot wax for those pesky ear and nose hairs :scared15: Could you imagine the pain? :ohmy:

Positive thoughts LOL I could, but waxing for me no I don't do pain I can imagine it:eek: I would be wincing at every stroke ha ha:roflmao:Cheers

Buster70
27-07-17, 15:19
The pain us men have to go through to look real purdy, women have it so easy I guess child birth stings a little bit :D we should get together for girly night in waxing and moisturising and discuss where it all went wrong .

ServerError
27-07-17, 15:53
I was 18 when I first noticed I was balding. God, it gave my mates a laugh, and I just had to go along with it. It was the first time I ever felt genuine existential angst. I was completely powerless over this thing that was happening to me.

I always felt ugly, anyway. From the moment I was old enough to have what you might call real thoughts. I'd say around the age of three. To be honest, plenty of kids at school throughout my life have lined up to tell me I'm ugly, so it becomes hard to believe otherwise. Premature balding was the last thing I needed.

Always had a problem getting girls to take an interest in me. Still do. A combination of shyness, social anxiety, being near the top of the class (not boasting - it just gets you bullied and makes you less appealing to the opposite sex) and then thinning hair really doesn't help. Then I signed up to dating websites. In ten years if use, I reckon about 1% of messages I've sent have been replied to. I always try to send decent messages, but if they ain't attractive to them, they ain't replying. So many profiles refer to the importance of hair - how it's styled, what colour it is (almost always has to be dark, so that's another thing), and no baldness. I've made a lot of progress recently in terms of my anxiety and self-esteem, but as you can tell, this stuff hurts.

As you can see from my display picture, I still haven't plucked up the courage to shave it off. I have such a weird shaped head anyway, I dread the day my massive dome is laid bare for all to see. I'm 32 now. Age-appropriate women are far more likely to be in relationships/married etc, sonits egen harder to meet someone than it was.

Nothing in my life gets me down as much as this stuff.

MyNameIsTerry
27-07-17, 16:44
The pain us men have to go through to look real purdy, women have it so easy I guess child birth stings a little bit :D we should get together for girly night in waxing and moisturising and discuss where it all went wrong .

:sofa: I spot a dead man walking :roflmao:

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

Yes so true Terry what a pain in the ole hole that is. :whistles: If I could afford electrolysis I would have that done but its expensive think though the overall savings would out weigh the current way I get rid of my unwanted hairs :) Cheers

You know those No No! things that are fanatically advertised on TV? On the shopping channel one guy write asking if he could use it on his head to save on cutting. They said he could, if he fancied never growing it back again :ohmy:

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

I was 18 when I first noticed I was balding. God, it gave my mates a laugh, and I just had to go along with it. It was the first time I ever felt genuine existential angst. I was completely powerless over this thing that was happening to me.

I always felt ugly, anyway. From the moment I was old enough to have what you might call real thoughts. I'd say around the age of three. To be honest, plenty of kids at school throughout my life have lined up to tell me I'm ugly, so it becomes hard to believe otherwise. Premature balding was the last thing I needed.

Always had a problem getting girls to take an interest in me. Still do. A combination of shyness, social anxiety, being near the top of the class (not boasting - it just gets you bullied and makes you less appealing to the opposite sex) and then thinning hair really doesn't help. Then I signed up to dating websites. In ten years if use, I reckon about 1% of messages I've sent have been replied to. I always try to send decent messages, but if they ain't attractive to them, they ain't replying. So many profiles refer to the importance of hair - how it's styled, what colour it is (almost always has to be dark, so that's another thing), and no baldness. I've made a lot of progress recently in terms of my anxiety and self-esteem, but as you can tell, this stuff hurts.

As you can see from my display picture, I still haven't plucked up the courage to shave it off. I have such a weird shaped head anyway, I dread the day my massive dome is laid bare for all to see. I'm 32 now. Age-appropriate women are far more likely to be in relationships/married etc, sonits egen harder to meet someone than it was.

Nothing in my life gets me down as much as this stuff.

I get what you are saying. It's bound to be harder when it goes so young.

It's not a new issue, it was the same when I was young, but since the rise of men's mags and things like Towie it seems to have got worse. Make up is getting more regular too. I find it bizarre.

I think you look good, Mike. But some women want pretty boys. It depends where you live too. Pretty boys were always secondary to tough lads where I grew up. I think it must be the confidence perceived by how they hold themselves. The rough look got more girls. Bad boy thing I guess.

Hollow
27-07-17, 19:44
It's not a new issue, it was the same when I was young, but since the rise of men's mags and things like Towie it seems to have got worse. Make up is getting more regular too. I find it bizarre.

There has been a deliberate feminisation of men over the years, just take a look at Hollywood actors back in the day compared to now. Likes of Justin Bieber are being pushed as role models for boys, social engineering is taking place on an industrial scale. Gender neutral toys and boys being forced to dress as girls by men hating feminists, it's all part of the plan to destroy traditional male masculinity.

http://funnypictures.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/america-japan.jpg

Buster70
27-07-17, 22:56
Server , things even out a bit as you get older thin guys get fat fat guys get thin , thin people get wrinkly fatties don't ( like letting down a balloon ) shave it off if it's going get rid , I'm so good looking now I was stopped by a modelling agent who said I had the perfect face for modelling welding masks :D or even modelling on the radio .
I gave my granddaughter a shoulder ride and she used my head as a bongo , another plus side . You've got to laugh . ( and cry in the shower , boys don't cry ) :D

Phuzella
28-07-17, 07:55
Good attitude Buster :). My husband started losing his hair aged about 18. Never bothered him. It's a state of mind I guess.

MyNameIsTerry
28-07-17, 10:35
Server , things even out a bit as you get older thin guys get fat fat guys get thin , thin people get wrinkly fatties don't ( like letting down a balloon ) shave it off if it's going get rid , I'm so good looking now I was stopped by a modelling agent who said I had the perfect face for modelling welding masks :D or even modelling on the radio .
I gave my granddaughter a shoulder ride and she used my head as a bongo , another plus side . You've got to laugh . ( and cry in the shower , boys don't cry ) :D

Oy, get yer hands off my paper bag contract :biggrin:

Fishmanpa
28-07-17, 13:04
It's a state of mind I guess.

Yep. Attitude.

"Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we handle it" Charles Swindoll

Positive thoughts

KK77
28-07-17, 15:45
Yep. Attitude.

"Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we handle it" Charles Swindoll

Positive thoughts

Of course it's about "attitude" but you could also say:

"Depression is 10% what happens to us and 90% mental illness".

For someone with underlying depression and/or anxiety disorder, losing their hair can be a major trigger, just as gaining weight can trigger someone who has an eating disorder.

So while your logic is sound, I don't think having the right "attitude" really solves the suffering some people experiencing hair loss go through. And as I previously said, we live in an increasingly image-obsessed culture/society, where especially young people are subjected to enormous direct and indirect pressure to look and act a certain way.

Buster70
28-07-17, 20:51
So this morning on the dog walk I bumped into a chap i see quite often and it made me think ( what doesn't ) he's a victim of thalidomide ( if that's the right term) he has very short arms no forarms at all he has to get on his knees to pick up dog crap , now he's mid fifties and bald so at some point he probably looked in the mirror and thought for f&@ks sake I'm going bald , I would guess it bothered him as well even though he'd been born with no arms it's just a change we are not happy about but have to get used to , rubbing expensive lotions ain't going to work or our royal family would have good heads of hair , the other point to mention is the chap has a wife , kids and three dogs so no hair or arms hasn't held him back we just have to make do with the hand we are given in life .
I base my look and attitude on the great American philosopher H.J.Simpson DOH!! :D

Fishmanpa
28-07-17, 20:58
Of course it's about "attitude" but you could also say:

"Depression is 10% what happens to us and 90% mental illness".

For someone with underlying depression and/or anxiety disorder, losing their hair can be a major trigger, just as gaining weight can trigger someone who has an eating disorder.

So while your logic is sound, I don't think having the right "attitude" really solves the suffering some people experiencing hair loss go through. And as I previously said, we live in an increasingly image-obsessed culture/society, where especially young people are subjected to enormous direct and indirect pressure to look and act a certain way.

You do have a valid point KK. I have a general "I don't give a shite" attitude aspect to my personality make up which makes dealing the vanity driven world in which we live in much easier to navigate. I guess that's why I'm so proficient at fielding complaints remotely and promptly turning them into compost ;)

Positive thoughts and a shiny head

Bigboyuk
29-07-17, 15:15
You do have a valid point KK. I have a general "I don't give a shite" attitude aspect to my personality make up which makes dealing the vanity driven world in which we live in much easier to navigate. I guess that's why I'm so proficient at fielding complaints remotely and promptly turning them into compost ;)

Positive thoughts and a shiny head Hi Fish I feel exactly the same as you on this :) And yes much more easier to navigate for sure lol, Next ;) Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
29-07-17, 15:39
So this morning on the dog walk I bumped into a chap i see quite often and it made me think ( what doesn't ) he's a victim of thalidomide ( if that's the right term) he has very short arms no forarms at all he has to get on his knees to pick up dog crap , now he's mid fifties and bald so at some point he probably looked in the mirror and thought for f&@ks sake I'm going bald , I would guess it bothered him as well even though he'd been born with no arms it's just a change we are not happy about but have to get used to , rubbing expensive lotions ain't going to work or our royal family would have good heads of hair , the other point to mention is the chap has a wife , kids and three dogs so no hair or arms hasn't held him back we just have to make do with the hand we are given in life .
I base my look and attitude on the great American philosopher H.J.Simpson DOH!! :D

That's a guy I have the upmost respect for.

...and Homer, of course!!! :D

ServerError
29-07-17, 16:01

Positive thoughts and a shiny head

I've always been the very opposite of this. I guess that's part of the reason I ended up having a breakdown. Too much worry over too long about things I can't control. One thing CBT helped me with is changing the way I think about things and developing a new attitude whereby I concern myself far less with trivial things and that which I cannot control.

I don't think I'd care half as much about my sparseness of scalpal hair if it wasn't for the fact I have such a hard time getting the opposite sex to take any interest in me. To put it bluntly, I don't want to be single for the rest of my life. I haven't had a relationship sincw 2011, and that was only five months. I've never been the type to only be interested in one thing, but it's a good thing I'm not, because I have literally never had a one-night stand or had someone I met on a night out want to come back with me or anything like that.

Apologies if it seems like I'm trying to make this all about myself. I'm not usually that type of person. I just think it's very difficult to "not give a damn" when a basic human need is absent from your life, and more or less always has been. And while it's about far more than whether I have hair or not, the fact my hair has been falling out ever since I became an adult, makes it even harder.

Bigboyuk
29-07-17, 16:14
I've always been the very opposite of this. I guess that's part of the reason I ended up having a breakdown. Too much worry over too long about things I can't control. One thing CBT helped me with is changing the way I think about things and developing a new attitude whereby I concern myself far less with trivial things and that which I cannot control.

I don't think I'd care half as much about my sparseness of scalpal hair if it wasn't for the fact I have such a hard time getting the opposite sex to take any interest in me. To put it bluntly, I don't want to be single for the rest of my life. I haven't had a relationship sincw 2011, and that was only five months. I've never been the type to only be interested in one thing, but it's a good thing I'm not, because I have literally never had a one-night stand or had someone I met on a night out want to come back with me or anything like that.

Apologies if it seems like I'm trying to make this all about myself. I'm not usually that type of person. I just think it's very difficult to "not give a damn" when a basic human need is absent from your life, and more or less always has been. And while it's about far more than whether I have hair or not, the fact my hair has been falling out ever since I became an adult, makes it even harder. While I understand what you are saying Sever, I have learnt to accept somethings and while its hard I often find relation ships in the way you mean can get very complex and difficult, so I personally would rather do with out if you follow, sooner have good friends around me at the mo :) Cheers

Buster70
29-07-17, 22:30
I know I make light of hair loss it is my way of dealing with most problems , but I do understand that it can take over your life constantly thinking about it , I've always had a lot of bigger problems in life so hair loss didn't seem that bigger deal , a huge part of anxiety is not being in control which I have to deal with daily , I wish all of my problems could be sorted so easily ( buzzzzz gone end of problem ) , it can be a lonely world even in a relationship.
I have been likened to homer more than once , I have problems with any sort of authority if a sign says don't i do when I'm not aboard the crazy train I'll argue with police , kick off in the bank and don't get me started on traffic wardens , I know to well how frustrating it is to have your confidence knocked , seriously though women are not that shallow to only like a guy with hair and the older you get the less it matters , a lot of women assume if they put on weight we won't be interested which is also bulls&@t made up by the media we are constantly told how we should look , I prefer curves to corners . Some
Prefer a baldy bonce to a mop takes all sorts , there is someone out there for everyone. Or I could be talking crap I do that a fair bit . Take care :D

KK77
29-07-17, 22:57
a lot of women assume if they put on weight we won't be interested which is also bulls&@t made up by the media we are constantly told how we should look , I prefer curves to corners . Some
Prefer a baldy bonce to a mop takes all sorts , there is someone out there for everyone. Or I could be talking crap I do that a fair bit . Take care :D

This is the problem: what we're told and made to believe. If you're made to feel unattractive there is no doubt that it will affect relationships. So attitude rules - but it's actually changing it and really believing in it which is the difficult part. And that is about changing core beliefs: the image we have of ourselves and others.

Buster70
30-07-17, 22:05
This is the problem: what we're told and made to believe. If you're made to feel unattractive there is no doubt that it will affect relationships. So attitude rules - but it's actually changing it and really believing in it which is the difficult part. And that is about changing core beliefs: the image we have of ourselves and others.

"Don't don't don't believe the hype " It probably wouldnt get you in a trendy London night club but an attitude and general manner can be just as sexy as a pretty face , take the kardashians they do nothing for me except make me want to throw my tv out the window rock n roll style there whole vane attitude stinks , I'd clamber over the lot of them to get to Lorraine Kelly I do like a cheeky laugh .
So here's a little story, at youth club when I was about 13 I fancied a girl so I did the usual thing I told my mate to tell her mate how I felt , the message came back from her mate to my mate to me " yeah she says your ugly " so that's a no then I thought as I walked home heart broken she never even spoke to me , so next day I thought sod her I'll fancy someone else and I'm not a pretty boy but I'm not an ogre either and I have attitude and personality, she probably had neither . And I like to think she now has a mustach and no teeth .:roflmao:

KK77
30-07-17, 22:18
"Don't don't don't believe the hype " It probably wouldnt get you in a trendy London night club but an attitude and general manner can be just as sexy as a pretty face , take the kardashians they do nothing for me except make me want to throw my tv out the window rock n roll style there whole vane attitude stinks , I'd clamber over the lot of them to get to Lorraine Kelly I do like a cheeky laugh .
So here's a little story, at youth club when I was about 13 I fancied a girl so I did the usual thing I told my mate to tell her mate how I felt , the message came back from her mate to my mate to me " yeah she says your ugly " so that's a no then I thought as I walked home heart broken she never even spoke to me , so next day I thought sod her I'll fancy someone else and I'm not a pretty boy but I'm not an ogre either and I have attitude and personality, she probably had neither . And I like to think she now has a mustach and no teeth .:roflmao:

And good on you, Buster old boy. Your "Couldn't give a fook" attitude is why I employ you in Complaints on a zero hours basis. I have the same attitude now too - opt out of all crap but still open to luck :shades:

MyNameIsTerry
31-07-17, 05:04
Clare Balding is a curse :biggrin:

Buster70
31-07-17, 22:06
Clare Balding is a curse :biggrin:

She really is , a posh over paid curse as we now know :D

MyNameIsTerry
02-08-17, 09:16
She really is , a posh over paid curse as we now know :D

Indeed she is :biggrin:

Lineker is also a curse that is overpaid. I suffer from that one, being a grown man who still can't grow a proper beard when so many young blokes can :biggrin:

Magic
02-08-17, 19:03
I must say I agree about commentators on tv. Sometimes three at a time for football. WHY? is beyond me. It is so true Buster I agree.

Buster70
02-08-17, 20:53
The best option is to do away with all sport all commentators and just let them eat cake , seems im the only one not over paid .:D