PDA

View Full Version : Total wipeout

NE21 worrier
25-07-17, 20:52
Hello everyone,

It's been quite a while since I posted on this forum - and that's mainly because I have being doing well until recently. I was even the best man at my mate's wedding in February.

However, I have been feeling under increasing pressure at work where my remit is much wider than it was previously. It is also our busiest time of year and I put a lot of pressure on myself to get things right to the extent that I have not made a single mistake on my checked work since the start of reporting year in April (other peers have several). I'm probably past the stage of "feeling under increasing pressure" and actually already into "burnout".

Last night, I got home from work at 7pm, slept 7-10pm and then again midnight-7.30am. Yet I still woke up absolutely exhausted. Basically I felt as if I'd been drugged - got brain zaps, sore eyes, tender ribcage, no appetite. I'm not eating well.

But I know there is nothing physically wrong. All stress. And I know this because I've seen it all before.

Add info: I have a three-week holiday to America in September, which I am also slightly nervous about (as I don't like flying) but which I know I will enjoy. However, I have not had a full Mon-Fri week off all year - and, at this rate, they'll be dragging a shell of a man on the plane in a few weeks.

Should I be going to the GPs?

Fishmanpa
25-07-17, 21:08
Since you know the cause and frankly, your post is extremely rational, I think you know the answer to the question ;)

That being said, if you're on meds, it might be wise to touch base. Maybe a dosage adjustment may help or perhaps a "chill pill" in the mean time to help you over this little blip. You could also try some relaxation techniques, meditation etc. to help you relax.

Positive thoughts

NE21 worrier
25-07-17, 21:33
Thanks Fishmanpa.

You've always been a very helpful poster on here. I have been attempting relaxation techniques with some moderate success (i.e. I have not had a complete breakdown yet!) but I can tell that I am heading towards a critical stage and my rational assessment is that I need some proper help again.

I guess I was just seeking a bit of reassurance as it's been a while since I have been to the doctor about my anxiety levels - and, if I am signed off as seems likely, I will go on a Stage One at work as I was unwell with the flu earlier in the year.

I have always been open about my issues at work but I have always framed it in a sense that I was doing better with it. Unfortunately, right now, I'm not...

NE21 worrier
26-07-17, 10:11
UPDATE: Went to docs at 9.20, only just come back. Been signed off for two weeks from work to see if that eases my mind.

No meds yet as I have been coping quite well - will need to go back for meds if no improvement in next couple of weeks.

So why am I so nervous to call in sick when I've got the backing of a medical professional?

pulisa
26-07-17, 12:41
Because you are an extremely conscientious employee who gives his all and doesn't want to be seen as a "malingerer"...The fact is that you are now mentally exhausted and depleted and the GP was right to give you a "window" in which to rest and recuperate. Hopefully time away from work will give you some much needed breathing space but it sounds to me as if you are under a hell of a lot of pressure constantly which can't be good for your mental health?

NE21 worrier
26-07-17, 17:54
Because you are an extremely conscientious employee who gives his all and doesn't want to be seen as a "malingerer"...The fact is that you are now mentally exhausted and depleted and the GP was right to give you a "window" in which to rest and recuperate. Hopefully time away from work will give you some much needed breathing space but it sounds to me as if you are under a hell of a lot of pressure constantly which can't be good for your mental health?

Thanks. I've phoned this morning and taken the two weeks - god knows, I need them.

I don't just want to waste these two weeks in bed, of course - but, this being the first day, I clambered upstairs this afternoon and slept solidly for two hours or so. I think my body is just totally exhausted right now.

pulisa
26-07-17, 18:10
It's really good that you can sleep. The worst thing you can do is try to carry on at the same frenetic pace when your brain's "warning light" is flashing. It never works.