PDA

View Full Version : SSRI to blame for rampage???

Mojo61
26-07-17, 08:52
Remember the bloke who dressed as Batman and killed 12 people at the cinema in America? Well they are now saying that a SSRI he was taking may have been a contributory factor in sending him off his rocker. Well that's all an anxious person taking this class of medicine needs to hear!!! :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

braindead
26-07-17, 09:19
Remember the bloke who dressed as Batman and killed 12 people at the cinema in America? Well they are now saying that a SSRI he was taking may have been a contributory factor in sending him off his rocker. Well that's all an anxious person taking this class of medicine needs to hear!!! :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:
NO ITS NOT so why did you post it :wtf1:

Mojo61
26-07-17, 09:48
Perhaps for a bit of reassurance???

braindead
26-07-17, 11:58
Perhaps for a bit of reassurance???
REASSURANCE ??? how about scaring them off there meds:lac:

pulisa
26-07-17, 12:34
It's the usual shock-horror programme, Mojo. Antidepressant prescribing to vulnerable people and potential reactions to medication is always going to be a hot topic of contention and documentary fodder. Just give the programme a wide berth? No doubt there will be a lot of discussion about the programme afterwards on NMP but so long as you are stable on the med that's all that matters.

Magic
26-07-17, 14:32
I agree with pulisa. I will not be watching the programme. May be it was other factors that brought this person to act in that way.

MyNameIsTerry
26-07-17, 18:18
The same well known professor, who is known for his stance on SSRI's and their possible links to violence or self harm, also said it's rare. If you look at the side effects profile and delve into the rare ones you will see psychosis, mania, delirium, etc on some.

But look at the overwhelming evidence for the fact they don't cause such things. How many cases do we hear of? And as the psychiatrist they asked in this later programme says, it's a matter of benefits outweighing risks which is the case with many meds.

With this guy it's whether it was a trigger as his background includes strange thinking about murder.

They already don't prescribe SSRI's if they suspect bipolar due to the potential trigger of mania. Here we have a guy with problems outside of anxiety being given a SSRI when perhaps something more like an anti psychotic would have been more appropriate?

AntsyVee
26-07-17, 18:22
The same well known professor, who is known for his stance on SSRI's and their possible links to violence or self harm, also said it's rare. If you look at the side effects profile and delve into the rare ones you will see psychosis, mania, delirium, etc on some.

But look at the overwhelming evidence for the fact they don't cause such things. How many cases do we hear of? And as the psychiatrist they asked in this later programme says, it's a matter of benefits outweighing risks which is the case with many meds.

With this guy it's whether it was a trigger as his background includes strange thinking about murder.

They already don't prescribe SSRI's if they suspect bipolar due to the potential trigger of mania. Here we have a guy with problems outside of anxiety being given a SSRI when perhaps something more like an anti psychotic would have been more appropriate?

Agreed. His SSRI was only the tip of the iceberg of what he needed. I've been on SSRIs off and on for over a decade. I'll let you know when I go on a rampage :p

MyNameIsTerry
27-07-17, 04:47
Agreed. His SSRI was only the tip of the iceberg of what he needed. I've been on SSRIs off and on for over a decade. I'll let you know when I go on a rampage :p

Vee, there were different expert diagnoses in his case but within the Schizophrenia category. Is it likely a case he was headng towards that coming out and this med triggered an episode of psychosis?

Didn't he also ask to be sectioned in the lead up to the terrible act?

I'm around 10 years too, SSRI & SNRI, and the only "spree" I've been on has meant a huge credit card bill a month later! :biggrin:

AntsyVee
27-07-17, 06:09
Yeah, his defense said he was schizophrenic, but I think the court psych ruled him as having schizotypal, which is a weird personality disorder, but who knows the real diagnosis. Some other psych said he had schizoaffective. I don't trust diagnoses prompted by either defense or prosecution. He spoke about killing people for over a decade and had many manic episodes and hallucinations.

The med could've triggered psychosis, but I doubt it. The med probably didn't even touch him. I know from my mom having schizoaffective, you gotta have a high dose to even touch the surface. And who knows what else he took.

Yeah, I think his psych he was working with when he was a college student tried to get him sectioned, but obviously it didn't pan out.

MyNameIsTerry
27-07-17, 06:35
Yeah, his defense said he was schizophrenic, but I think the court psych ruled him as having schizotypal, which is a weird personality disorder, but who knows the real diagnosis. Some other psych said he had schizoaffective. I don't trust diagnoses prompted by either defense or prosecution. He spoke about killing people for over a decade and had many manic episodes and hallucinations.

The med could've triggered psychosis, but I doubt it. The med probably didn't even touch him. I know from my mom having schizoaffective, you gotta have a high dose to even touch the surface. And who knows what else he took.

Yeah, I think his psych he was working with when he was a college student tried to get him sectioned, but obviously it didn't pan out.

I agree, both sides just want to win so bring in tame docs to back them up. Court expert witnesses make their living off it. You've only got to look at Oscar Pistorius to see the garbage the right psychiatrist will peddle for the defence.

I was thinking along the same lines as how mania can be triggered in bipolar sufferers from these meds.

Isn't it true that most episodes of violence in Schizophrenia are triggered by drink or drugs anyway? So, something like that could have even been involved, as you say who knows what he was messing around with.

AntsyVee
27-07-17, 06:45
i don't know if most schizophrenic people's violent episodes are triggered by drugs and alcohol. I'm sure those may play a part in some, as many schizophrenics also have substance abuse problems. I do know from my mom being sectioned that schizophrenics are most likely to be violent to themselves. In the states we call that sectioning a 5150, and that's what most schizophrenics are sectioned for, including my mom. But having schizophrenia doesn't mean you're more prone to doing violent acts. Usually (in the psych world) violence is most connected with oppositional defiance disorder in kids or psychopathy in adults.

MyNameIsTerry
27-07-17, 06:55
Thanks Vee. I think I read about substance abuse being a trigger when the violence was aimed at others. This normally crops up when there has been something in the news like this case and the media do love to portray the paranoid schizophrenic as the norm when the rarity of attacks proves otherwise.

It doesn't surprise me to hear the issues are more self harm. It must be very hard to experience a loved one going through something like that.

AntsyVee
27-07-17, 07:08
No problem. Yeah, I've learned from my experiences that many people (including the media) have no clue what schizophrenia really is (nor any related disorders). They say only 1% of the population is schizophrenic, so most people would never meet a schizophrenic person in their lifetime. People think that because they are under stress and have a mental "breakdown" they are going psychotic, when really they are experiencing acute stress related depression or anxiety or dissociation. If you go to a schizophrenia ward, the truly psychotic are usually just there in their own bubbles of hallucination.

Yeah, growing up was not easy with my mom the way she is. Thank god for therapy! Lol

Montyzoo
27-07-17, 15:25
it's sensationalist nonsense. Designed to grab attention. Millions of people take SSRIs every day and it helps them. Honestly don't worry about it :)