PDA

View Full Version : Panorama BBC1 9 pm

bottleblond
26-07-17, 13:31
Panorama "A prescription for murder" tonight looks very interesting. It's all about SSRI Anti-depressant medications.:yesyes:

KK77
26-07-17, 13:49
Oh goodie....sounds riveting BB. I shall be tuning in on the Complaints TV :wacko:

*Goes to take meds*

bottleblond
26-07-17, 13:52
I'll have your coffee and dookie biccies ready for 9pm. :yesyes:

pulisa
26-07-17, 18:23
This programme is potential dynamite for a lot of NMP members who are on meds. Not for me because I'm not and will not be watching it anyway. My view is that we are in the silly season so time for some TV padding and why not bring out something sensational re anti depressants which will worry a lot of people on meds and cause a huge furore from the programme's title alone..

Why give it attention if you are comfortable on your prescribed meds? There's a better drama on BBC2 anyway.

bottleblond
26-07-17, 18:50
This programme is potential dynamite for a lot of NMP members who are on meds. Not for me because I'm not and will not be watching it anyway. My view is that we are in the silly season so time for some TV padding and why not bring out something sensational re anti depressants which will worry a lot of people on meds and cause a huge furore from the programme's title alone..

Why give it attention if you are comfortable on your prescribed meds? There's a better drama on BBC2 anyway.

The only reason I posted this is because I have seen so many questions about these medications on the forum itself. Isn't it a better idea that people learn the facts (hard or otherwise) about these medication from the experts?.

If the questions are being asked initially the I think it's a good thing they have made an informative programme about them. I'm quite sure it will be a mixed review sharing good points as well as bad.

pulisa
26-07-17, 20:02
I think it depends whether it is in fact an informative programme and not just a scaremongering one? Also depends who the "experts" are.

KK77
26-07-17, 20:51
I think it depends whether it is in fact an informative programme and not just a scaremongering one? Also depends who the "experts" are.

And how will we know until we watch it?

Reason: Sounds suspiciously complaint-like
Complaint Handler: KK

BikerMatt
26-07-17, 21:50
Turned it on at 9.15 and over 30 seconds later! " A prescription to murder" should have been put in the thread title!

bottleblond
26-07-17, 22:20
For crying out loud, I posted a title. If you had clicked on it you would have saw the rest.

I didn't know anything about SSRI's and I found it very informative.

KK77
26-07-17, 22:26
I think you should have added an emoticon in the title too :lac:

Complaint Status: Bog roll
Reason: Load of crap
Complaint Handler: KK

bottleblond
26-07-17, 22:45
Lol...

What's the point?!.

Well at least I now understand what a SSRI is.

MyNameIsTerry
27-07-17, 01:43

Did it talk about use of SSRI's or focussed on this case i.e. one of those extremely rare cases where someone with an already troubled mind is triggered?

Basically, was it a DM article in disguise? :winks: There's bound to be some sensationlism given the case I guess? The BBC are usually more balanced but they have a tendency to tactically miss information out too and if the programme is basically about the killer...I only read the programme summary but they were pointing out how rare this all is.

The BBC did one about Pregabalin. It focussed on it's use in NI and didn't care much about all the people the drug helped as the maker was biased towards the negatives of addiction and extreme cases.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if more comes to light about mental health meds over the years as you have said before. Christ, the mess one made of me was far worse than what I had in the first place. I can say with my own med that I've felt urges of aggression, something I mentioned before on here, and it was really strange. It was like a feeling of positivity about beig more capable and wanting someone to provoke me. It's happened a few times, not for year now, and I had to burn off the energy which helped it subside.

pulisa
27-07-17, 14:09
For crying out loud, I posted a title. If you had clicked on it you would have saw the rest.

I didn't know anything about SSRI's and I found it very informative.

I think my point was that this programme had the potential to alarm people on NMP who were having issues with their meds so they wouldn't see it as entertainment. I'm glad you found it informative though.

mezzaninedoor
27-07-17, 19:11
I found it informative.
I have often wondered about the 'altering' affects of some of our medications and there was a healthy debate in this Panorama documentary
I don't think it sensationalised things as it was often stated that 'though they work for the majority' ......... etc etc

pulisa
27-07-17, 19:23
Was there a need for the sensationalist title of the programme though? I suppose there was to attract viewers.

bottleblond
27-07-17, 19:41
Was there a need for the sensationalist title of the programme though? I suppose there was to attract viewers.

Well that was the whole point of the programme, Pulisa. Was the medication responsible for the man committing murder!. There was no point in sugar coating it. It did what it said on the box.

ServerError
27-07-17, 20:20
I thought it was interesting, but focused too much on one outlying case. It lacked balance and, perhaps unsurprisingly, seemed to want to lead viewers to the most dramatic and scary conclusion.

bottleblond
27-07-17, 20:54
But the case was the whole point hence why they documented his actions from beginning to take the medication to committing the mass murder.

It's not given me any fear at all about anti-anxiety medications.

I suppose we will all differ in opinion on the programme too, I just found it very interesting because although I have saw the term "SSRI", I didn't have a clue what they were or what purpose they served!.

pulisa
27-07-17, 20:55
Well that was the whole point of the programme, Pulisa. Was the medication responsible for the man committing murder!. There was no point in sugar coating it. It did what it said on the box.

But as others have said on this thread, this man had other complex mental health issues which maybe should have been taken into consideration before prescribing the particular SSRI medication? I didn't even watch the programme so can't comment on how informative it was but the title put me off. We all know that these psychotropic meds need to be prescribed with caution and sometimes they aren't..with tragic consequences.

bottleblond
27-07-17, 21:08
Well they did cover that in the programme. Lol...Several doctors came forward and said it was absolutely the right drug to give him at the time but the doctor who initially prescribed the medication wouldn't comment due to breaching patient confidentiality.

ServerError
27-07-17, 21:24
I guess I'm thinking about how your average joe will have taken it. A lot of people watch stuff like this pretty unquestioningly, and in a way, I can't help but feel that's what the mainstream broadcasters want. There's already a lot of ignorance surrounding the use of antidepressants and a lot of people love to trot out the old trope about them being "handed out like sweeties". (I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with that point, but there's a difference between arriving at that point having educated yourself on the subject, and just saying it because it seems like a thing people say nowadays).

My main point is that a lot of people will have taken home the wrong message about antidepressants. I guess I'm saying that I felt the editorial line leaned too far in one direction.

Personally, I'd go back on sertraline if I needed to. This hasn't put me off.

bottleblond
27-07-17, 21:34
I guess I'm thinking about how your average joe will have taken it. A lot of people watch stuff like this pretty unquestioningly, and in a way, I can't help but feel that's what the mainstream broadcasters want. There's already a lot of ignorance surrounding the use of antidepressants and a lot of people love to trot out the old trope about them being "handed out like sweeties". (I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with that point, but there's a difference between arriving at that point having educated yourself on the subject, and just saying it because it seems like a thing people say nowadays).

My main point is that a lot of people will have taken home the wrong message about antidepressants. I guess I'm saying that I felt the editorial line leaned too far in one direction.

Personally, I'd go back on sertraline if I needed to. This hasn't put me off.

No I do completely agree with what you are saying. If I was someone who lead a "normal" stereotypical life and hadn't been effected by anx/agoraphobia etc and hadn't been on anti anxiety drugs and then watched that programme, would I then think these drugs were safe to take?!. I'd have to say No!.

Unfortunately the programme was focused on one particular case which was very interesting but I'd now like to see something that elaborates on all SSRI's and possible side effects.

MyNameIsTerry
28-07-17, 04:37
So, what was the outcome? Was it Healy against the rest or did they come to a conclusion they agreed on? Who was most likely right?

In the case doctors brought in gave different diagnoses but they put him in the schizophrenia category. I was wondering whether the med had acted as a trigger to an episode of psychosis? In a similar manner to the mania trigger these meds can have in bipolar.

bottleblond
28-07-17, 18:23
So, what was the outcome? Was it Healy against the rest or did they come to a conclusion they agreed on? Who was most likely right?

In the case doctors brought in gave different diagnoses but they put him in the schizophrenia category. I was wondering whether the med had acted as a trigger to an episode of psychosis? In a similar manner to the mania trigger these meds can have in bipolar.

I have to agree, Terry!. I don't think the med was the sole cause of what he did because he did have violent tendencies before but I do think it escalated what was already a very dangerous mindset leading to him carrying out his plans to kill.