PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Blood Tests

THoltz
26-07-17, 16:12
Hello,
In the last few days I have had a sudden fear of blood tests come about. I think I listened to someone saying they were getting blood tests and that spooked. I recently overcame a big fear of the dentists but then this blood test scare comes up.
I guess its the fear of the unknown. I had my blood sort of checked two years ago when I got my finger pricked for a blood sugar test. The result came back good. I went in to see what caused my blood pressure to elevate. It wasn't super high but I did cut out sodium a lot and its low. I checked it yesterday and it was like 126/67
-I'm 26 male, 165-170lbs
-I don't smoke or drink (never had a drink in my life).
-I run 10-12 miles a week.
-Drink green tea, eat a lot of fruits and veggies particularly blueberries
-My resting pulse is in the mid 50's.
Sorry for the random stats but just wanted to give an overview of myself.
Anyone else struggle with a fear of blood tests? What should I do? Seems like once I overcome one health fear, another one pops up.

THoltz
29-07-17, 20:42
Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like if I go in and get blood work done then something bad will come up. I heard of a person this happened to so I'm kind of spooked

Fishmanpa
29-07-17, 22:07
I don't fear them but since my treatment, I just get hmmm.. how do I describe this? I believe it's a visceral reaction to the needle. I have been getting needles since I was 8yo (allergy shots etc.) so a needle? eh... Now, I don't have anxiety about the test but I get what I can describe as a hot rush through my body and a "brrrrr" reaction like fingernails on a blackboard. I also believe it's a form of PTSD.

Anyway... I read your post and it's like so many others here. Fear of "What If?" and an overall fear of not being in control. From what you posted, logically, they're not going to find some mystery blood reading number that indicates West Nile Flambovian Utter Nonsense disease ;)

Just think of it like driving to work. You have control of your car but you can't control everyone else.... I have a feeling you get to work safely right? Same thing applies to the bloodwork. The stick and draw you have control over and the results are normal 99.9999% of the time.

Positive thoughts

THoltz
31-07-17, 22:34
Ok. I'm just scared I will find out I have a major illness or something even though I feel fine. At the same time, I feel like getting blood work done will not solve my health anxiety-something else will just take its place.