PDA

View Full Version : sore jaw from clenching/grinding at night?

Ethansmom
26-07-17, 17:29
I hate going to the dentist, so i'm putting this visit off for a few days. I've had a slight ache in my upper molar area/cheek since yesterday. It comes and goes and sometimes even hurts when I smile. Could this be from clenching my teeth? I do have a mouth guard (which I don't wear much). Has anyone else had this problem and what did it feel like. I'm deciding if I need to visit a dentist or just take advil and try the mouth guard for a couple of days to see if it goes away.

What would your advice be? I have anxiety about going to dentists, but I know if gets to the point where it's really awful, I'll gladly go for a check up.

Fishmanpa
26-07-17, 17:51
Well... two ways to approach this. First would be to try the mouth guard without fail for a week and see if it helps. If it does, you have your answer. If not, a trip to the dentist can't hurt even if it ends up just being a check up ;)

Positive thoughts

Ethansmom
26-07-17, 19:19
Thank you! your response is exactly what I was planning to do :) I Hope you are doing well.

MyNameIsTerry
27-07-17, 02:36
I put some usful information about this, including an exercise my dentist gave me, in this thread:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=166483

bin tenn
27-07-17, 02:37
Yes. Happens to me all the time. I clench my teeth even during the day; I catch myself and have to stop. I also grind my teeth terribly in my sleep, sometimes causing minor bleeding from gums. I used a mouthguard for several days a while back, and it seemed to help. Need to get a new one, since it got lost in the move