PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing Feet and Leg Pain

User2017
26-07-17, 22:07
36 year old male, with a history of health anxiety, but worried this time might be something more serious. Beginning in May of last year, several health issues have come up that caused a lot of anxiety but resolved in time. However, I've been in a substantially heightened state of anxiety for much of the last year, and recently developed these symptoms:

- Mid-March - Began slowly tapering off of Diazepam after being on it for 7 months as a muscle relaxant to treat another medical condition. Developed feeling of leg weakness and chest pain. GP took EKG and blood work, which was normal. The following week I was able to pack and move an entire house with no physical issues, other than lingering chest pain that lasted about 4 weeks.

- Late-March - Finished tapering off of Diazepam. Five days later, developed tight muscles in thighs, migratory leg pains in both legs that seemed to randomly hurt all over at different times, and found myself frequently tensing the muscles in my legs. About a week later, developed buzzing/vibrating sensation in both feet (kind of like a cell phone pressed against them, but not detectable by anyone else).

- April-May - Very high anxiety, sometimes for seemingly no reason.
Wake up frequently in a state of high anxiety, feeling adrenaline in my body.
Symptoms persisted, but pain now mostly in upper legs and seems to be more brought on by extended time on feet. Will have days at a time with no pain or reduced buzzing, but then it seems to come right back. Also lots of tightness feeling in ankles and behind the knees.

- June-July - Anxiety still very high, especially while sleeping. Buzzing continues in feet, and also sometimes in ankles and lower legs. Tightness is better but not gone. Also feel strange sensations in legs (almost like a heightened awareness of touch when fabric touches my leg hairs, especially at night after a bath).

I've been through tons of blood tests, including for Lyme, which were all normal. GP thinks it's anxiety. Saw two neurologists. First one had some concerns about MS and sent me for Evoked Potentials Test and MRI of Brain with contrast. Both came back normal. Second neuro didn't seem as concerned about MS, and thought maybe it's coming from my back.

It just seems like each doctor has their own theory, but no one really knows what it is. And I can't kick the idea of it being MS (even with the good test results, I know sometimes MS can be tough to diagnose). My question is can anxiety really manifest in this way? Has anyone experienced anything similar? Thanks for any input you might have.

anxiousargentino
26-07-17, 22:48
Well, it's pretty obvious that it's either anxiety or coming from your back, but definitely not MS, since tests turned out ok. Stop worrying about that, you are fine!

User2017
27-07-17, 15:53
I do feel reassured that the Evoked test and the MRI of the brain came back normal, but also have read about people with MS that only shows up on MRI of spine or is difficult to diagnose. I guess it's just tough to be confident that anxiety can really produce symptoms like this.

maianixon
31-07-17, 11:51
i have know the tight painful leg muscles!!! i have no clue what it is if its muscle tension or what. it never crossed my mind that it could be neurological even tho MS is one of my biggest fears. i figured if it was MS it wouldnt hurt that much but there would just be weakness - idk if its true but its what i thought. also mine doesnt get worse with activity i mean standing is THE WORST but walking doesn't actually make it much worse, another thing that comforts me. no idea what its caused by tho and im increasingly anxious too even tho it will probably just end up being anxiety. buzzing can be an anxiety too
if the MRI showed to be okay the chances of it being MS are very low, even tho im a hypocrite for saying this as I also had a clear MRI (but without contrast) and im still worried about it too. also like i said as far as i know i think painful muscles aren't really a symptom of it if there is no clinical weakness?
anyway i hope this resolves for you, good luck xx

tryingtosurvive1
01-08-17, 07:27
have you had a nerve conduction study or EMG? They can pick up back issues or (non deadly!) local nerve problems. That would be another test to try. I know I'm not supposed to suggest tests not this board willy-nilly but my NCV did tell me something useful and I learned the (not terminal or as serious as MS) cause of my symptoms.

However-if I had to guess I suspect it's anxiety and/or withdrawing from the drug very slowly. A ton of guys in their 30s on the aboutbfs message board had these symptoms and no one could discover why (i.e. all tests normal). A lot of them were super anxious before the symptoms.