PDA

View Full Version : Change in shape of one side of face.

Torskus77
26-07-17, 23:29
Hi, long time health anxiety sufferer, started with a doctor that scared the life out of me a long time ago, when he found a lump on my tongue, and said things that were pretty scary, had 3 months of ridiculous amounts of worry. Since then, pretty much everything that happens to me, I convince myself it is the end. I had it mildly under control for a while, until I started having chest pains often, which was down to stress and anxiety I found out in the end.

Over time I have learned techniques to make it easier, mostly avoiding using google as a doctor, but it still flares up.

Recently I have had a change to the one side of my face. Underneath my eye socket, starting just underneath my the bone of my eye socket, down to about where my mouth is,my cheek has what I can only describe as a a saggy indent. Then further back, my face is starting to sink in. My wife says it is hardly noticable, but I think she is just being kind, it looks pretty bad to me.

I told my doctor about it, and he asked if I had lost any weight, which I replied, nothing worth mentioning really. He said, you are just aging. Which is fair enough, I am 41, an ex smoker, I don't expect to stay young looking forever. It seems a bit strange it is only the one side, and to me it looks horrid. I am more concerned with what it might be than the actual look of it, but the look isn't great either.

I couldn't resist the temptation to hit google up with it, I was expecting the usual cancer threads to pop up, but oddly there was very little information at all on the subject.

Anyone else have any similar experiences of something like this ?

Leah88
27-07-17, 06:35
Hey there, I can imagine that this may be a form of body dysmorhia?. I was in a similar situation a while back when I was obsessed with prematurely aging telemerase diseases ( do not google these) and thought I had one. I also thought my face looked sunken/saggy on one side but my husband assured me it didn't. Just normal aging? Do you have OCD? Just curious as I think body dysmorphia is closely related to it. I have come to realise this through my own silly brain.

cattia
27-07-17, 06:47
I had something similar. I noticed in a photograph that one side of my face looked swollen. I rushed to the doctor who could also see it but thought it was fairly mild, however he sent me for an ultra sound that found nothing. I also had Xrays at the dentist. In the end they both said it was either muscular from TMJ or just a natural asymmetry in my face. Five years later it still looks the same. To me it is very noticeable especially in photos but other people can only notice it if I point it out and then only just.

Torskus77
27-07-17, 09:41
Is TMJ caused by grinding teeth ? I believe I do this a lot when I am overly stressed. Thank's for the replies, much appreciated.

cattia
27-07-17, 10:49
Yes, I sometimes wake up in the night with my jaw clenched really tight. It is really common with anxiety and often affects one side worse than the other.