PDA

View Full Version : PSA for new HA sufferers.

HoldingoutforHope
27-07-17, 05:43
Hello! This is a message for all of the new HA sufferers and diagnosed sufferers.

I have been dwelling these forums for the last few weeks utterly convinced that I had Breast Cancer. I have been to my GP 3 times in the last month, and each time she tells me that I am normal. That it's all in my head. While the fear may not be gone, I have taken the appropriate steps to try and get my life back. I am taking meds, I am talking to my family for support, and I am trying really hard to break a certain habit that A LOT of HA sufferers do at one point or another in their life.

I am talking about poking and prodding. You get a certain spot on your skin, your breasts start hurting, perhaps you noticed a certain lymph node that concerns you, or you are checking your pulse. Whatever the cause please I beg of you, poking and searching is the total opposite of recovering.

Poking and prodding will only feed the obsession that makes you search for answers to your body's issue. And if you do it too much, you will hurt yourself as i have. My breasts are incredibly tender right now, I have sharp pain in my nipples, and you want to know the cause? I have inflamed the tissue because of my poking, my prodding, my search for an answer that isn't there.

My fear fed my obsession to check every two seconds for lumps, to squeeze for discharge when there was none, and it all came back to bite me. Poking and prodding can actually do more damage to your body than leaving it alone can. There is a reason that people tell you not to go searching. Your body will just become sore and angry at you.

I am battling my fear, and I am not completely recovered from this. But I remind myself that poking and searching will only make me hurt worse. I want to recover, I want to move on with my life, and the only way to do that is to trust my doctor and her advice. That is to stop poking, to stop searching, and to stop feeding the fear.

It doesn't sound easy, but please, trust your doctors, especially when they tell you to stop poking and searching. Your body will thank you for it :blush: