PDA

View Full Version : Driving lesson anxiety

Fay13
27-07-17, 09:40
I passed my driving test about 7 years ago, and haven’t driven since that day (because I went to uni right after, then after uni didn’t really need to drive so didn’t want to spend my money on it). I am now thinking of moving in with my boyfriend, which would mean me getting a car to drive to work (I can currently walk to work) so have booked a couple of refresher driving lessons to make sure I can still remember how to do it.

I was never a confident driver, but I passed my test before I had any anxiety symptoms so wasn’t any more nervous than an average slightly nervous learner driver. But now I am really anxious about my driving lesson. I worry in all situations where I feel like I am trapped and can’t leave, but at least in almost all other situations I can have a drink of water, fidget a bit, tense and relax my muscles etc. but obviously in a driving lesson I can’t really do any of those and it’s making me really anxious that I’ve got a two hour lesson where I won’t really be able to do anything I would normally do to calm myself down a bit. Obviously I know I can pull over but I worry that I’m going to spend the lesson getting really anxious when driving along any stretches of road where I can’t pull over. I’ve booked the lesson for very early on Sunday morning, (thinking that it would be a good thing to have a couple of hours practice on quiet roads, and then book a second lesson straight after work in rush hour) so it will at least be quiet, but does anyone have any other tips for driving?

Cakelady
27-07-17, 14:31
I think try not to over think, if that makes sense. I would do all you can to keep as calm as possible before the lesson, use any techniques etc that can help you. I also would explain to the instructor how nervous you feel & he may be able to reassure or give you advice. Maybe it will take a few lessons to get your confidence up behind the wheel & for safety it's important your anxiety doesn't affect your diving. Good luck, hope it goes well xx