PDA

View Full Version : Could it be diabetes?

magicalgirl
27-07-17, 11:58
Hello everyone. This is my second thread in NMP so hopefully I am posting in the right area and doing everything correctly.

I've been having these strange diabetes-like symptoms since I was about 11 years old. The first time something like this happened was I had gotten home from school one day (5th grade) after getting the mandatory swine flu shot and that night I started getting horrible shakes. I felt weak all of a sudden and had uncontrollable muscle spasms. I don't remember what else happened that night but I didn't end up seeing a doctor about it or anything. I thought it may have been a side effect of the vaccine.

Well, in the 6th grade I remember one night while I was staying at my grandma's I suddenly got the shakes again. They were HORRIBLE. I remember I nearly lost control of my whole body. I drank a coke and started to feel better so I didn't tell anyone about it (for fear of bothering them) and just went to sleep.

The shakes happened again when I was in about 8th grade. It was late at night and my mom was willing to drive me to the ER but she stopped for gas and got me a soda to help me calm down, and as soon as I drank from it the shakes stopped... do I just asked her to take me home.

Keep in mind that back then I had a lot of problems going on in my life and didn't have health anxiety yet so I didn't want to go to the doctor even for symptoms that could have been serious.

Well i'm 18 now and although since then I haven't had severe muscle spams like those again, I have had concerning symptoms. Sometimes out of no where I get slightly shaky and extremely hungry in just one second.

And the reason i'm REALLY scared is the tingling. For about one or two years now if I eat too much sugar my fingers will tingle for about an hour or so. This is was triggered me to look into all the symptoms of diabetes.

I developed severe health anxiety about three years ago, and have had several blood tests since then (because of the panic attack trips to the doctor) but never brought up these diabetes-like symptoms so therefor was never specifically tested for diabetes. Not to mention about three years ago I developed a bald spot on my tongue that could possibly be linked to diabetes? It won't go away.

If I could I was just march up to the doctor's office right now and have a proper blood test, but this is were i'm going to sound so pathetic. I have Asperger's and PTSD. I haven't adapted to "adult life" yet. I live with drug addicts so it makes my depression pretty bad. I don't even have a driver's license. I've already asked my mom if I could have a doctor's appointment and she screamed at me. I just don't really know what to do. I'm just so scared. My heart rate has been above 100 for the past few days and I don't know why. I'm just trying to seek help here.

I am SO sorry if this is too long and hard to understand. It's 7 AM and I haven't been to bed. I feel so tired (I've been having to sleep like 12 hours a day lately) but my anxiety keeps me awake. If anyone out there could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you all so much.

TinkrTonkr
27-07-17, 12:10
Hi.
You could try going to a pharmcay first thing in the morning before eating and let them measure your blood sugar, it should be between 70\100, then eat something and measure again after 2 hours, preferentially in the same pharmacy and it should stay between 80\120.
If you have these values then you don't have diabetes. Very easy to test, any pharmacy has it.
Also about your parents screaming at you that isn't normal, you are having issues so you should definitely have a doctor's appointment to see what's wrong (honestly based on your age and anxiety, I'd say your symptoms are almost certainly caused by anxiety)

Sunisong
27-07-17, 20:22
I agree with TinkrTonkr. I would make an appointment to get it checked out, just in case something is wrong. It sounds like to me your symptoms are probably anxiety-induced, but better to not take chances. Good luck.

magicalgirl
27-07-17, 20:27
Thank you both so much for replying! I will go to the pharmacy the next time I can and have my blood sugar tested before and after eating. Hopefully having a yes or no answer will help me calm down. It's very possible it could all be anxiety related too, because it runs in my family. Again, thank you both so much! It really helps.

TinkrTonkr
27-07-17, 20:58
No problem, get it checked and maybe your anxiety will drop down. Stay away from Google!