PDA

View Full Version : Groin lymph nodes - what is normal?

nodeobsessed89
27-07-17, 13:47
I have a question about groin lymph nodes. I have had both the lymph nodes in my neck and armpit checked by a healthcare professional, who said that she could not feel any enlarged nodes (which I really thought I could feel!)

From what I can tell, I have two enlarged nodes in the right side of my groin. I have been aware of one of these for a long time (nearly seven years!) but I found the second one recently when digging. One is about the size and shape of a kidney bean (about 1cm across and under 2cm long – but perhaps smaller than this) and the other which is below is a bit smaller. On the other side of my groin I can feel tissue in the same area, but they feel like long (2cm x 0.2cm), thin ligaments or connective tissue.

I have a couple of questions:

1) I have been aware of my kidney bean node on the right side for some time, but I’m wondering if it’s recently got slightly larger (with a second node appearing). I got stung on my ankle about three weeks ago by some kind of horsefly which caused my ankle to double in size! Would this make these glands swell too? And will they reduce in size with time?
2) Can things like recurrent ingrown hairs in the groin region that become infected cause lymph nodes in the groin to become permanently enlarged? I also had extremely bad verrucas for many years as a kid (although this was 15 years ago now) – could this have affected my lymph node size?
3) Could the short ligament type tissues in the left side of my groin also be shotty lymph nodes? Can lymph nodes ever be 2cm by 0.2cm?
4) What are the normal size of nodes in this area? Are these a normal size but with frequent infections have become fibrous and therefore palpable?
5) Would the reasons for these nodes be more likely due to a localized infection as opposed to a whole body infection (I had dreadful mono/glandular fever when I was 18)

You cannot see these nodes, nor can they be felt by running my hands up and down the area. I need to massage the skin in order to find them.

Any information would be much appreciated! I don’t fancy going to the doctor’s again, I felt so embarrassed about being a hypochondriac!

I am female and 27 years old.

hanshan
27-07-17, 15:16
Lymph nodes will differ in size from person to person, and be more or less obvious based on physiognomy, so it's impossible to say what 'average' is. Also, they will swell up in cases of infection, but the rate and size will vary from person to person.

Basically, you have to accept the judgement of your doctor, who feels lymph nodes every day. You can't get that judgement from Dr Google.

SeagullTerror
27-07-17, 19:13
Are you thin? It's said that its normal to feel one or two nodes on each side of the groin if thats the case, my source: http://www.bad.org.uk/for-the-public/patient-information-leaflets/how-to-check-you-lymph-nodes/?showmore=1#.WXotLVGQzIU

nodeobsessed89
27-07-17, 20:35
Hi, yes I am, and I don't have any fat on my groin at all. But I wonder if it's normal for the node to be this big and not symmetrical!

I do agree that the doctor is the best person to diagnose. I should have asked her to check my groin nodes when she checked my neck and armpit!

nodeobsessed89
31-07-17, 16:31
Just an update, I had a load of tests done and they all came back negative! So clearly it is normal to have enlarged groin lymph node(s). I can even feel very small ones in my neck. The best thing to do is get them checked by your doctor and do not use google. "When lymph nodes are not swollen, they are not palpable" (first search result) - this is clearly rubbish for some people! A trained doctor who sees and feels lymph nodes most days can tell you what is and what isn't abnormal.

Fishmanpa
31-07-17, 16:49
Was it diagnosed as "enlarged" or is that your perception? We have 400-600 nodes in our bodies ranging from a couple of mm to 2cm, all of which are normal depending on location. Poking and prodding will irritate and cause a node to swell. Too much self-examination can make them shotty.

Clearly there's nothing sinister going on so hopefully you can put the irrational fears out of your head.

Positive thoughts

nodeobsessed89
04-08-17, 17:13
Thanks! I think my main concern was that they were not symmetrical. One node in my groin is about 2cm x 1cm, on the other side you can barely feel it. It might have enlarged at some point due to an infection and just never gone away. But it's nothing sinister and that's all that matters!