PDA

View Full Version : New worry, pancreatic cancer

TinkrTonkr
27-07-17, 18:32
So for the past few days I've been having hard bits that are partially undigested in my stool.
Note that I didn't change my diet and I never saw these before.
They are yellow-ish bits in stool that are VERY visible.
Also I've been having minor pains near the pancreas are.
I had stomach cancer, surgery was 16 months ago and doctors said I was 100% cured and it wouldn't spread because it was a very small tumour and didn't spread to the lymph nodes.
Since then I haven't had any CT scan or any other exam they don't think it's needed except blood analysis every 3 months.
Should I be worried?
Maybe because I don't have a stomach digestion isn't as effective and this can happen?
I have normal blood sugar so at least I know pancreas is producing insulin but it doesn't mean it is producing all other stuff needed for digestion. I'm very worried.

Fishmanpa
27-07-17, 18:36
The side effects of cancer treatment are many and affect us survivors differently depending on where it was and the treatment. I have too many to mention but my tests/exams are clear so I'm good. If your tests are clear (which they are), then you're good and it's just part of the "New Normal".

Positive thoughts

TinkrTonkr
27-07-17, 18:46
The side effects of cancer treatment are many and affect us survivors differently depending on where it was and the treatment. I have too many to mention but my tests/exams are clear so I'm good. If your tests are clear (which they are), then you're good and it's just part of the "New Normal".

Positive thoughts

I haven't done a CT scan since surgery, I only do blood analysis, which measure general stuff like vitamins etc and tumour markers. If I had pancreatic cancer would it show on these tumour markers?

Fishmanpa
27-07-17, 19:25
I haven't done a CT scan since surgery, I only do blood analysis, which measure general stuff like vitamins etc and tumour markers. If I had pancreatic cancer would it show on these tumour markers?

I have no clue but I would assume so. For me, I had a PET scan 6 months after treatment ended, and then it was basically a poke, scope and prod every three months for the first two years, then every 6 months until 5 years. They did send me for a CT at 4 years out and all was clear. I have two more appointments... one in Sept and then my last one next Feb. and I'll be considered "cured".

Once thing I do know is that they do the tests needed to make sure things are Ok with you. If something was amiss, they wouldn't mess around. If a red flag came up, you'd be sent for further tests I assure you! They did that with me when I had nodes on the other side of my neck blow up. I was sent stat for a CT scan and it turned out it was the result of a viral infection. So you're good with the exception of what I call "scanxiety". I struggled with stress come check up time for a couple of years after treatment. My cancer was one that had a better than 50/50 chance of recurring so yeah... you can imagine. They gave me a chill pill that helped take the edge off come followup time and it really helped. That along with some therapy really made a difference.

Just do your best to not examine your poo and stay the heck off of Google!

Positive thoughts

TinkrTonkr
27-07-17, 19:45
I have no clue but I would assume so. For me, I had a PET scan 6 months after treatment ended, and then it was basically a poke, scope and prod every three months for the first two years, then every 6 months until 5 years. They did send me for a CT at 4 years out and all was clear. I have two more appointments... one in Sept and then my last one next Feb. and I'll be considered "cured".

Once thing I do know is that they do the tests needed to make sure things are Ok with you. If something was amiss, they wouldn't mess around. If a red flag came up, you'd be sent for further tests I assure you! They did that with me when I had nodes on the other side of my neck blow up. I was sent stat for a CT scan and it turned out it was the result of a viral infection. So you're good with the exception of what I call "scanxiety". I struggled with stress come check up time for a couple of years after treatment. My cancer was one that had a better than 50/50 chance of recurring so yeah... you can imagine. They gave me a chill pill that helped take the edge off come followup time and it really helped. That along with some therapy really made a difference.

Just do your best to not examine your poo and stay the heck off of Google!

Positive thoughts

I'm not googling at all, I stopped that. Also I got (finally) over my fears about neurological stuff. I don't fear ALS, MS or any other neuro stuff anymore.
I know (because i googled a few months back) that tumour markers are not always 100% reliable in early stage, more like 60\70% reliable.
They told me they were SURE the tumour i had in my stomach wouldn't spread because it was small\localized and nothing found on lymph nodes.Also during surgery they inspected all organs and they were all perfect. So they basically sent me home after surgery and do only blood analysis every 3 months. They said they might do a CT scan later as precaution, but not now they don't feel it's needed. However the pains i have in pancreas area and the undigested food in stool have got me concerned. I will go to the oncology hospital next week and ask for a exam just to be safe. Pancreatic cancer is the most deadly cancer but if found early can be survived, so I don't wanna risk. I was only 19 when diagnosed with stomach cancer was such a shock and left its marks, i developed health anxiety.
Also last question, my surgery was little more than a year ago, do you think if a tumour was developing in the pancreas it would grow so quickly and cause symptoms so quickly? From what I've heard usually cancers take years to grow is that right?

Fishmanpa
27-07-17, 21:03
You've heard of the soup Nazi on Seinfeld? I'm the reassurance version...No more reassurance for you! :lac: ;)

Positive thoughts

TinkrTonkr
28-07-17, 16:53
Called my doctor, he said I should come by and get checked although he believes there is nothing wrong.
He said pancreatic cancer takes a few years to develop and get symptomatic and since i was checked 1 year ago he doesn't believe it could have grown to cause symptoms this quickly. He was honest though and said the tumour marker tests I've been doing are not very reliable but it's the best they have (I could have CAT scans but those have high levels of radiation that can induce cancer, they don't wanna expose me to that without a reason)
He said if pain persists i should get checked, so if it persists I will go the hospital where I'm being followed this weekend to make sure everything is okay.

Fishmanpa
28-07-17, 17:53
I can tell you this, for me, the side effects I have due to the surgeries and treatment have me in 24/7 pain. I have neuropathy in my feet, swallowing issues etc. It's the "New Normal" for me. I have meds to help but it's just the way it is and will be for the remainder of my life. Never does it have me thinking the worst though.

Like I said, I did go through a period of "scanxiety" but that's long gone. If something is going to get me, it's not going to be the original cancer (most likely my heart IMO).

Your doctor reassured you and you have a door open for further reassurance should you really need it.

Positive thoughts

TinkrTonkr
28-07-17, 18:14
I can tell you this, for me, the side effects I have due to the surgeries and treatment have me in 24/7 pain. I have neuropathy in my feet, swallowing issues etc. It's the "New Normal" for me. I have meds to help but it's just the way it is and will be for the remainder of my life. Never does it have me thinking the worst though.

Like I said, I did go through a period of "scanxiety" but that's long gone. If something is going to get me, it's not going to be the original cancer (most likely my heart IMO).

Your doctor reassured you and you have a door open for further reassurance should you really need it.

Positive thoughts

Oh so sorry for your pain and issues! Luckily I needed no treatment except surgery, it all went smooth i was in hospital a week and when I got home I started eating soft foods mostly and then after 3 months I started eating everything I did before. Life without a stomach is actually not bad at all, i don't notice the difference anymore, sure I have to eat smaller meals but I can eat everything. I have a little bit of anxiety right now, but to be honest I think the pain I'm experiencing is induced by anxiety. I've learned recently that anxiety can create weird stuff, I only got the pains shortly after getting worried about my pâncreas (because of stool). I never had them before, seems too much a coincidence. Also the pain seems to disappear when i dont think about it. It's probably just anxiety, gotta learn to control it. I've come a long way believe me, I'm finally starting to live life again, not being controlled by anxiety, though I admit I still have some way to go.
I've left behind the fear of neuro stuff. ALS, MS, Parkinson, MSA, you name it, I feared it but not anymore. When this pancreatic fear is over I might be free finally!

TinkrTonkr
30-07-17, 18:53
It's hurting pretty bad today. The pain is mostly located just below the left ribcage and sometimes just below the heart area. It comes and goes and sometimes goes away a few minutes. Also it seems to change when I change positions and if I press the área that hurts it sometimes stops too, so I'm wondering if maybe these are just muscular pains? I get ocasional twitching near the area that's been hurting
Anyway if it doesn't go away soon I'll go to the hospital