PDA

View Full Version : Elderly Dad - Health Anxiety

psychocandy
28-07-17, 10:48
Try and keep this short.

Dad is 82. Lives alone. Has health problems but is not too bad for his age.

He pretty low maintenance until he gets ill or thinks hes ill. Hes always been a bit strange with doctors - if I cough or sneeze he tells me to go to the doctors. Its a bit like ill - go doctors- they give you medicine - cured.

He doesn't seem to grasp very well the idea that, for some things, either you just need to ride it out, or, as you get older, put up with.

In the last 6 months, hes phoned an ambulance about 5 times, called the doctor to his home about 20 times. Each time there is very little wrong with him.

A few months he was convinced he should be is hospital. Multiple medical staff thought not. Then he fell in his kitchen and cut his head and lo and behold hes in hospital. To this day, I'm convinced he took a dive.

Last Xmas day was a nightmare. I picked him up to visit us and he laid it on really thick. Made out he was dying pretty much. I took him home and then spent an hour talking him down from phoning for an ambulance because he was convinced he wouldnt make it until the doctors opened after the xmas break. All the while my kids are back home waiting for me.

His illnesses seem to morph into other things. What started out as chest infection changed to being unable to swallow last time.

The local doctor did stop coming out to him last time. But hes called them twice this week (they seem to have forgotten) but they just ply him with antibiotics to shut him up. I saw him recently the other day and if anything he just had a slight cold. But because he was "blocked up" he thought something needed to be done.

I've spoken to local doctor but nothing seems to change. Hes been tested for dementia too and its not that.

Of course, when hes ill which is increasing in frequency he expects everyone to run around for him. Some of his demands are a bit beyond. I find Im in a constant game with him as he tries it on all the time with me.

I live 30-40 mins drive, got a wife who has got a long term disabling illness, young children, a teenager whos also got health problems. My wife, whos a nurse (and sees a lot of ill people) knows full well theres nothng wrong. She is less than happy with his behaviour to say the least.

I've tried to explain to him that I've got other commitments/people who need me but it doesnt stop him. He'll demand I visit him on a certain day. Just this week hes telling me "I need to make a big effort to visit him".

Any suggestions?

TattooArtist
28-07-17, 14:51
There isn't really any advice for this. Unfortunately it's like this with elderly relatives that live alone. It's time to pool family resources for assisted living or a senior community, if living with a friend or relative is out of the question. For everyone else, life has to keep going... But at 82 he is nearing the end of his. Health anxiety or not, hes probably lonely and afraid a lot of the time.