PDA

View Full Version : Rabies fear again - new factor

MagpieWitch
28-07-17, 21:16
So I did write a while ago about my rabies fear from the bat that I didn't see or feel swooping down over my head and scratching me and now I have another rabies fear.

So I went with this friend to a horse ranch outside of town three weeks ago and there were dogs around. I avoided petting any of the animals around and there was only one dog that I pet a little on his head and then we left. The dog didn't seem sick he was walking around I don't remember if he barked when we walked in the ranch and there were other kids around the dog but none seemed to mind being around.

Now I am scared that dog had rabies and I somehow got them. I did just pet it on the head, it didn't lick me or bite me, just scratched his head a little and walked away. On the internet it says you need to come in direct contact with the dog's saliva to get the virus (bite, or dog licking you) and that you can't get it from the fur. But I also had mosquito bites that I was scratching could I get it from that? It says on the internet that the virus dies very quickly outside of the dog saliva so it wouldn't last long on my fingers I guess?

But I am still scared and I can't stop thinking about this so I am asking everyone here that went through this fear of rabies to maybe give me some peace of mind cause I havent slept or eaten anything in four days now. I just need someone to help me relax a bit because this rabies fear ruined my entire summer :weep::weep::weep:

Fishmanpa
28-07-17, 21:18
Are you getting help for your anxiety? I ask because again, you've stated an absolutely impossible scenario under which rabies cannot be transmitted.

Positive thoughts

MagpieWitch
28-07-17, 21:22
Yes, I am not on meds currently but I've been in CBT for five years now and I wasn't seeing my therapist for 8 months and now she is on vacation so my anxiety just really peaked.

Fishmanpa
28-07-17, 21:25
Yes, I am not on meds currently but I've been in CBT for five years now and I wasn't seeing my therapist for 8 months and now she is on vacation so my anxiety just really peaked.

With 5 years of CBT therapy and training, what technique or worksheet would you use to combat the irrational thoughts?

Why don't you lay it out here. It would help you and others to see the technique and how to tame the dragon.

Positive thoughts

TattooArtist
28-07-17, 22:17
Please try to talk to your therapist or their vacation replacement soon, or even another trusted person that knows of your fears. This is very irrational, as I'm sure you are aware. Have you made an effort to be around other safe animals? Petting friends dogs, letting them lick your hand, etc? It might help you get over this fear, as then your mind will be forced to confront a scenario you are fearing without negative consequences. Rabies is amazingly rare, and most people get a lot of enjoyment being around pets.

TooMuchCoffeeMan
29-07-17, 07:16
I've currently convinced myself of having rabies as well. I'm my situation, I actually had my arm in a dog's mouth and it actually bit down somewhat, even though it bit me over my sleeve, everyone says that I'll be alright. By reading your story though, I really don't think you have anything to worry about at all. Like Fishman said, there is no possible way that the virus can be transmitted in the way that you described. I completely understand how you feel and I have no doubt that you'll be fine.

paranoid-viking
29-07-17, 16:55
It seems to me that there has been several threads with rabies fear this summer. Rabies is extremely rare and very uncommon in humans; something like 4 people affected in the United States each year; in my country there has been no confirmed case since 1815, 202 years ago. Looks like there are more people worrying about rabies in here than there really are people contracting that disease.

snowghost57
29-07-17, 17:20
Good post king!

---------- Post added at 12:20 ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 ----------

With 5 years of CBT therapy and training, what technique or worksheet would you use to combat the irrational thoughts?

Why don't you lay it out here. It would help you and others to see the technique and how to tame the dragon.

Positive thoughts

I don't want to sound mean but dear you are not working your program if you have been using tools from CBT for 5 years. I have been working on m thoughts with challenged my thinking and I have gotten better in 5 months. I am almost anxiety free, I still have an irrational thought here in there but they are far and few between. This is something we must work on with every thought until it becomes natural. It can be done, I know I did it!

MagpieWitch
29-07-17, 17:28
Good post king!

---------- Post added at 12:20 ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 ----------

I don't want to sound mean but dear you are not working your program if you have been using tools from CBT for 5 years. I have been working on m thoughts with challenged my thinking and I have gotten better in 5 months. I am almost anxiety free, I still have an irrational thought here in there but they are far and few between. This is something we must work on with every thought until it becomes natural. It can be done, I know I did it!

Hey! You are not being mean at all! I absolutely agree with what you said and I think that sometimes people need to straight up say the truth to anxiety sufferers because that brings us back in reality.

The thing I learned is is that healing and fighting anxiety is not a linear process and there are relapses here and there and sometimes. In the last year I was feeling great, I managed to do so many things and only had bad periods of anxiety few times here and there but usually they passed really quickly. In fact the last nine months I've been really anxiety free. Just it came back this time around with a vengeance.

So to everyone reading, healing is not linear and it is sadly a constant uphill battle and there are bad times, but there will be good times again and I am sure of it.

Fishmanpa
29-07-17, 17:50
I'll ask again...

With all the therapy you've had over the last 5 years, what techniques or strategies would you use to combat the irrational thoughts? Perhaps writing it out would help you and others with their struggles.

Positive thoughts

sportboy
29-07-17, 17:57
Yes, that would be really helpful. I'm asking the same question in my rabies thread.

snowghost57
29-07-17, 18:36
My therapist told me to write the situation down. This is an excerpt from a book "The feeling good handbook" by David Burns, M.D.

What is the situation? Only the facts.

Thoughts or beliefs? Self talk.

Feelings, how do you feel as a result of your thoughts?

Dispute thoughts or beliefs. What is unrealistic in your thinking? What are your dogmatic shoulds and musts?

I don't "fight" anxiety. I challenge my thoughts, I ask myself what value do they have? I started out by writing them down, now I do it in my head.

I did these steps 20 times a day if I had too. I've been thinking about anxiety and we keep saying it came back, it's bothering me again. There is no IT, we are in control of our thoughts. Someone posted on here that a thought is a wisp of wind or smoke. We have to get out of our own heads!

We can overcome anxiety! It takes work and practice.

Fishmanpa
29-07-17, 18:40
My therapist told me to write the situation down. This is an excerpt from a book "The feeling good handbook" by David Burns, M.D.

What is the situation? Only the facts.

Thoughts or beliefs? Self talk.

Feelings, how do you feel as a result of your thoughts?

Dispute thoughts or beliefs. What is unrealistic in your thinking? What are your dogmatic shoulds and musts?

I don't "fight" anxiety. I challenge my thoughts, I ask myself what value do they have? I started out by writing them down, now I do it in my head.

I did these steps 20 times a day if I had too. I've been thinking about anxiety and we keep saying it came back, it's bothering me again. There is no IT, we are in control of our thoughts. Someone posted on here that a thought is a wisp of wind or smoke. We have to get out of our own heads!

We can overcome anxiety! It takes work and practice.

Exactly! :yesyes:

Positive thoughts

snowghost57
29-07-17, 19:32
LOL Thanks Fish! How is your wife doing?

MagpieWitch
29-07-17, 21:54
I'll ask again...

With all the therapy you've had over the last 5 years, what techniques or strategies would you use to combat the irrational thoughts? Perhaps writing it out would help you and others with their struggles.

Positive thoughts

Mostly talking about it, writing it down and reading it out loud and making fun of it seemed to help. Usually at my therapists office I would tell her and start laughing at what I am saying and she would start laughing too. This is how we did it for the past five years.

However she is not here now so I guess I am trying to take over for her by bothering you guys with it I am so sorry :blush:

Fishmanpa
29-07-17, 23:19
Mostly talking about it, writing it down and reading it out loud and making fun of it seemed to help. :

So you've written it down here and read it I'm sure. Make fun of it because you know full well this is irrational.

Positive thoughts