PDA

View Full Version : Food/allergy phobia

bonita9
30-07-17, 13:29
I have developed a huge fear of getting an allergic reaction after having a fairly mild oral allergic reaction early this year. At first, it was only about one food item, but now I eat almost nothing because I "experience" allergic reactions to everything I eat. My fear is so strong that I can almost starve myself just to avoid confronting it. I had to stop antidepressants (for anxiety) due to dry eyes and I still have withdrawals that make my nervous system hyper sensitive. My anxiety is through the roof because of the withdrawals, it's insane. I have lost a lot of weight and eat very unhealthy, and even though I go to psychological treatment every week I can't seem to get better as fast as I would like too. It's like I'm going one step forward and two steps back all the time.

Before I never had any problems with food, allergies or something like that. My original anxiety was about something else, not food and allergy. I don't know what's going on but I know it sucks big time! My doctor took blood tests to figure out if I'm really allergic to something, but the tests were all fine. I know I'm probably allergic to one thing, but the rest of the reactions may be anxiety. The anxiety does what it can to scare me away from foods!

Anyone else struggled with this kind of anxiety and could give me advice how to get out of it? It's ruining my life, my relationships, my family. :weep:

AntsyVee
30-07-17, 22:46
Well, it's definitely obvious you're experiencing anxiety. Without knowing more about your situation, it's hard to say exactly where the anxiety comes from, but I can definitely say it's probably not going to go away by you just wishing it would.

Since you've gotten the all-clear from your doctor, I would say your next step is to work on your thinking. It's not normal to freak out over everything that one eats, and unfortunately, this is how some eating disorders start. If I were you, I would start with some self-help books and/or therapy to work on your mindfullness. I recommend the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Bourne. I also can't recommend therapy enough. If you feel it's ruining your life, then it's more than just a little anxiousness. Why not get some professional help?