PDA

View Full Version : Travel anxiety

jeg93
31-07-17, 17:03
Hi everyone,

I am currently experiencing massive nerves and some anxiety due to the fact that I am going away with my friends on Thursday. These nerves have come from the fact that over the past 18 months i have been suffering with anxiety, panic attacks and depersonalisation/derealisation. I particularly suffer from these things when away from "home" and also when hungover. My friends are already discussing how much they are going to be drinking and this is making me even more nervous as I know that I shouldn't really get involved. I am going to be as sensible as possible to avoid panic attacks and anxiety whilst I'm away however I can't stop thinking about the possibility my anxiety escalating whilst in a foreign country and this is making me very nervous and panicky.

I was wondering if anybody has been through similar situations and has any tips on how to ease these nerves as much as possible before my flight as it's really playing on my mind.

Thank you :)

ReverendCharlie
31-07-17, 17:48
I suffer from the exact same things you say and the same situation cause me anxiety. Like you said, I wouldn't drink too much. You can make up some 'excuse' as to the drinking, like saying you've been quite unwell recently and you're on some antibiotics for it. You can be straight up with them and say whats really going on, I hate being told it but its very true; talking about how you're feeling really helps. If they are your good friends, they will understand and will know not to pressure you. I would maybe go to your GP asap and see if they can prescribe you some Propranolol. This is a drug that loads of people use for loads of situations. All it does is calm your heart rate down and stops your body from going into overdrive as easily. Use some breathing techniques when feeling nervous or anxious to help get your oxygen/CO2 levels even. For example, breathe in for 8 seconds through your nose and then exhale for 10 through your mouth. Try keep your mind busy, because it stops you from thinking about the worrying things. Maybe download some games on your phone to play or music. Grab a newspaper or a book to read and immerse yourself in.
Unfortunately, these situations always focus on the build up to an event going on. Once you're actually doing the thing, everything subsides. Just remember, you're not alone. Your mates are probably feeling a similar way to you!
IF things are too much for you, you can just simply come home. Thats not a problem. You know you have a way out if things are too much. Don't worry, you will be okay mate. Just power on through and do whats best for you.
Hope this helps.

jeg93
01-08-17, 12:01
Thanks for the reply :) I am just going to be honest with my friends as I have told some of them before that i've been suffering with anxiety, although I'm not sure any of them truly understands how horrible and debilitating it can actually be. I'm definitely going to limit myself to just few drinks every night and just enjoy watching my friends get drunk haha. Also because I'm flying home alone i think i'm going to completely avoid alcohol on the last night, definitely want to avoid feeling anxious and panicky alone on a plane.

ReverendCharlie
01-08-17, 17:50
Thanks for the reply :) I am just going to be honest with my friends as I have told some of them before that i've been suffering with anxiety, although I'm not sure any of them truly understands how horrible and debilitating it can actually be. I'm definitely going to limit myself to just few drinks every night and just enjoy watching my friends get drunk haha. Also because I'm flying home alone i think i'm going to completely avoid alcohol on the last night, definitely want to avoid feeling anxious and panicky alone on a plane.

No worries mate. I think thats the best thing to do. I had friends that didnt really understand it at all and just had to say I couldn't do something. But its better to let it out than bottle it up. Sounds like a good idea, don't push yourself over the edge and make things worse by getting hammered! Ive made that mistake a few times and it was horrible being hungover and anxious. Just take it easy and do whats best for you.