PDA

View Full Version : Surgical Consult Tomorrow for Aortic Aneurysm and Valve Replacement

lofwyr
31-07-17, 18:27
Hey guys, I am feeling the anxiety wash over me. I was amazingly calm leading up to this day. Tomorrow I have a CAT scan followed by a surgical consult.

I know surgery is a ways off, and I am not even worried about it, or at least I wasn't thinking I was worried about it. Then the past 24 hours or so I have had a hard time catching my breath. It feels like anxiety, and it probably is. I have some things to be anxious about.

But now that I have known cardiac issues, I treat breathlessness with a little more anxiety than I did before. I have been watching my blood pressure, which is fine. The reason I write it off as anxiety, is when I can distract myself I don't notice it.

Also, my aortic valve is failing, which is fine, they have to replace it as part of the operation. It sounds like the operation is easy (for me anyway), the recovery a little more in depth and long term, but afterwards you generally feel much better and can return to a normal active life, which I am looking very much forward to.

I would like very much to put this behind me, but the medical world seems to move at a glacial pace if you do not have an immediate emergency. At least glacial to someone with anxiety.

Anyway, guess I am just venting. It is very nice to have the two anxiety communities I participate in and wish you all the best. Thanks for listening to me whine about feeling anxious. Again. ;-)

Catherine S
31-07-17, 18:49
You have something to feel anxious about so it's a normal reaction. I just wanted to wish you well and a speedy recovery from the procedure, the docs are obviously not worried about anything so that has to be a comfort.

Take care
:)

tryingtosurvive1
01-08-17, 07:37
Good luck! You will get through this! Do you have some absorbing hobby that can distract you a bit?