PDA

View Full Version : Arm killing me after vaccine

Clydesdale Epona
01-08-17, 01:00
So today i got what I thought was just the MMR vaccine but turned out to be that in one arm and a Tetanus shot in the other. I can't tell which went in which but I have hunch the tetanus was in my right arm as this is the one that kills me.
I have no idea if its normal for a tetanus shot to hurt this bad as I've never had one but its such an intense ache around the whole area where I got it, it didn't start off initially but got gradually worse as the hours progressed, now its hard to move it and has made me cry a few times. is this some form of reaction? or is just pain that will go away? I'm slightly freaking out especially as I have a huge phobia of allergic reactions and basically any infection :weep:

silver_shoes
01-08-17, 01:14
So today i got what I thought was just the MMR vaccine but turned out to be that in one arm and a Tetanus shot in the other. I can't tell which went in which but I have hunch the tetanus was in my right arm as this is the one that kills me.
I have no idea if its normal for a tetanus shot to hurt this bad as I've never had one but its such an intense ache around the whole area where I got it, it didn't start off initially but got gradually worse as the hours progressed, now its hard to move it and has made me cry a few times. is this some form of reaction? or is just pain that will go away? I'm slightly freaking out especially as I have a huge phobia of allergic reactions and basically any infection :weep:

I should imagine it will go away, I had this following the flu vaccination, my arm was extremely sore but less than a week later it was absolutely fine :yesyes:

Clydesdale Epona
01-08-17, 01:23
Thanks for the insight! I'm just gonna try my hardest to get sleep :) x

---------- Post added at 01:23 ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 ----------

I think she might have knocked a nerve as my upper arm is very rock hard and tender, tetanus shots suck lol x

sdoxo
01-08-17, 02:19
From what I've heard, tetanus shots make you more sure than a lot of the other vaccinations they give. I'm sure you are fine! :)

AntsyVee
01-08-17, 02:24
It's sore because they shoot the injection into your muscle. Use ibuprofen and a cold ice pack on your arm.

Clydesdale Epona
01-08-17, 16:39
Thanks you two! :)
Thought me and my health anxiety could put it behind us but sadly today i have a temperature, bad headache and feel sick so I've taken some paracetamol and I'm hoping for the best but still really afraid I'm gonna end up in hospital :weep:

MyNameIsTerry
01-08-17, 16:58
It's as Vee says, it's penetrates muscle. It may bruise and be tender for a few days.

I have flu shots due to my asthma and some years I have this afterwards. The nurses even ask which side you sleep on because of it! And the thicker the needle the more chance of more temporary muscle damage (don't worry, it fully heals).

Fishmanpa
01-08-17, 17:08
Just like the flu jab, one can get a slight reaction other vaccines including the tetanus vaccine. It's not unusual.

Positive thoughts

Annaboodle
01-08-17, 17:40
Yep, what others have said. When my daughters had their vaccines they always recommended a dose of Calpol (junior paracetamol) for just this reason. You can get mild fluey symptoms. Tetanus always seems to hurt cause of injection into the muscle. I was recommended to get some ibuprofen in in case.

Zomboy
01-08-17, 23:30
That's normal and nothing to worry about.
I remember my arm being very sore for a while after the tetanus shot.
Not only that but I also had these waves of pain go through my arm during the day.
It will pass.

Clydesdale Epona
02-08-17, 17:27
The pain in the arm is better today and the temperature has gone down, paracetamol didn't do nothing yesterday so I ended up in hospital where they gave me some strong ibuprofen to take home, my temperature has gone down to about a lukeish warm almost burning state and now I have a sire throat so fun times lol
Really thinking about not getting the other two doses as don't feel like going through this twice more x

AntsyVee
02-08-17, 17:28
They gave you a tetanus vaccine in 3 doses?