PDA

View Full Version : Been referred to a physiatrist. Can anyone tell me what they do?

Leanne27
01-08-17, 11:12
Hey everyone.

I've been battling health anxiety for 5 to 6 years now. With bouts in between where I call my self "stable" I get severe OCD thoughts and can easily fixate on a medical problem and convince myself and body I have it. I always worry about other things like a few months ago I become obsessed about getting a pension and got so stressed and worried about it.

I have been on all sorts of Meds and had 4 rounds of CBT but I always relapse. I have not been referred to see a phyciatrist can anyone tell me what these will do? I don't no why I haven't been referred before now to be honest. Wish I had.

Thank you in advance

Cakelady
01-08-17, 12:47
Hi. I think it's a good thing to have been referred . I have one & only see her a couple of times a year but I know my cpn regularly updates her & gets advice on any medication or therapy that may help. They will look into your history & background. Just putting together a picture of you & the best way forward. Hope it all goes well & it's a really positive step:) Best wishes x

.Poppy.
01-08-17, 14:57
They'll ask you lots of questions about your history and the status of your mental health. They'll also look into the medications you're taking/have taken, and discuss whether or not any of them will be helpful.

When I finally saw my GP about my anxiety/depression, I luckily got referred to a psych right away (well, within a month). My GP started me on medication, but my psych tweaked it and added another that he thought would be more effective.

Modestaustin811
01-08-17, 16:53
Their sole purpose is to prescribe medication.

swajj
02-08-17, 11:32
Their sole purpose is to prescribe medication.

I chose a psychiatrist over a psychologist and I have never been on meds for my HA. In fact, my psychiatrist told me that meds would help my anxiety but if I took them it would take me longer to get over my HA. So I chose not to use them.

So suggesting that psychiatrists only prescribe meds is rubbish.

MyNameIsTerry
02-08-17, 12:08
I chose a psychiatrist over a psychologist and I have never been on meds for my HA. In fact, my psychiatrist told me that meds would help my anxiety but if I took them it would take me longer to get over my HA. So I chose not to use them.

So suggesting that psychiatrists only prescribe meds is rubbish.

Countries differ. It's all we seem to hear they do over here, that's after fighting to get to see one first. You tend to get handed off to the nurses & therapists for the rest.

swajj
03-08-17, 11:44
Countries differ. It's all we seem to hear they do over here, that's after fighting to get to see one first. You tend to get handed off to the nurses & therapists for the rest.

Well that may be the situation in your country but it isn't the situation in mine. So I'll stand by what I said, suggesting that the sole purpose of psychiatrists is prescribing meds is rubbish.