PDA

View Full Version : stomach

cecilia
16-05-07, 19:23
I am currently seeing a cognitive behavioural therapist to help me with my health anxiety. I think I'm starting to realise it's about anxiety, not the actual health problem/worry at the time. But I'm now at a stumbling block as I am worried about my stomach - one side is very slightly bigger than the other (when I turn sideways!) I'm aware it's the anxiety kicking in rather than the worry but I am still worried. In my worst nightmare it is of course something awful like a tumour. My husband said it's stomach muscles slightly different on each side, or something like that. I know I'm looking for reassurance and that it's not the answer, but on this one I've got myself in a real state. Can anyone help?

feartie
16-05-07, 19:41
Hi Cecilia,

Do you think your stomach may have been like this for a while and you've just noticed? Although my belly button is central, my stomach sticks up more on the right than the left ~ best noticed in the bath when one side sticks out the water and the other doesn't!

I've seen various therapists for back problems and they tell me my pelvis is rotated slightly ~ so that's why mine's like that. Nothing to worry about, and if I didnt' insist on sitting cross legged could probably be resolved entirely!

I remember when I first hit anxiety problems, being hyper aware of my body. I noticed all sorts of things that I'd never noticed before and was convinced they were terrible dangerous (like veins which looked really noticeable, muscles which I thought stuck out weirdly... allsorts that I can't even remember now). They were ALL normal and I was just hyper aware of my body. 10 years later and none of them are a problem!

I hope this is reassuring. Maybe you should take a look at your husband's body in more detail (assuming he's not prone to anxiety too) and see what weird and wonderful things you notice that you (and probably he) have never noticed before! :)

Sounds like you've no symptoms ~ so even more reason to feel reassured I hope.

Linda x

cecilia
16-05-07, 19:53
Dear Linda

Thank you for that. It is really sound advice. I got myself in a panic earlier and realise thant I'm looking for reassurance (which just fuels the anxiety) but I really thought I'd go to the doctors and then they would think I'm mad. You are right, there's lots of things that one doesn't notice and then becomes suddenly fixated on. I have also looked at my husband's stomach and his is a bit bigger on the other side. So spose we're all different! I just read in one of the forums that IF there is something really to worry about we would truly know it. I think that's true. Thanks for replying speedily. Best wishes, cecilia

feartie
16-05-07, 20:02
So glad that was helpful Cecilia! :)

Take care,

Linda x

gilead
20-05-07, 15:51
i think your hubby is right unfortunately we worry over symptons dont we
gilead