PDA

View Full Version : Most ridiculous thing you've been scared of?

MagpieWitch
01-08-17, 11:57
I wanted to start a light hearted thread because I didn't find one and sometimes with all the anxiety we sure need it, but what is the most funny and ridiculous thing you've been scared of that turned out to be completely untrue and just very funny?

Mine was few years back on vacation, I was sitting on the beach on some rocks and eating ice cream and I looked at my legs and noticed this brown mole that hasn't been there before, it was a decent size and oval shape and gosh I began to panic cause a big new mole appeared on my leg, it must be cancerous. I was near tears, two of my friends tried convincing me a new mole is not cancer, I was 17 at the time so I phoned my dad crying and he didn't know what to tell me until another friend of mine came out of the water, saw the three of us panicking over a mole and just brushed it off with her finger, making it disappear.
It was a goddamn ice cream drop that just...looked like a mole. I never felt so stupid and embarrassed in my entire life and I am glad it was the shortest lasting anxiety that ended up being the thing I least expected.

Annaboodle
01-08-17, 14:41
There are too many! Hmm...not so much about what was ridiculous this one, but more about the ridiculous way my anxiety brain works. The film Dirty Dancing was on in the background, and my daughter and step daughter are mucking about dancing and saying things like, "how old IS this film?" "Was this before daddy was BORN?" (no offspring, daddy was born in the 1960s, with you know dinosaurs and stuff as one of you said the other day). Anyway, they are doing this and meanwhile my brain is going, "Patrick Swayze... wait... he died of cancer didn't he. What sort was it?" *googles* "shit, pancreatic. What are the symptoms of that again?" *googles* "shit, I've got LOADS of those symptoms"..."was he a drinker? (yep, I want the reason Patrick Swayze might have died of pancreatic cancer at this point. In the space of ten minutes it's become really important to me to know all the details about the untimely death of an actor I've not been remotely interested in ever). Spends rest of evening reading tabloid nonsense on the internet about his final years and at the same time prodding and poking myself to find symptoms :doh:

bingjam
01-08-17, 14:58
Cue the laughter.

It was New Year's Eve a few years ago and as I was getting ready to go to a New Year's Eve party I noticed on my foot that I had two little red dots, so me being me automatically put it down to either being bitten by a deadly spider or a snake, baring in mind I live in the uk where they pretty much don't exist here at all, and I'm pretty sure I would remember or feel a spider/snake bite so i cshouted to my husband (still believing I had minut s to live as I had poisoness venom in me) in hysterics as I didn't know what to do.

Turns out......... it was two little red splotches from a little bit of red wine I spilt earlier.

I cringe looking back on that time, but to be fair it was when my health anxiety was really at its peak for me

.Poppy.
01-08-17, 19:15
Athlete's foot. I even knew it was athlete's foot, but for some unholy reason I was just certain that it was going to "spread" and my feet would be infected and I'd never walk again or something.

About a year and a half ago I was also just *convinced* my eyebrows were falling out. I'd rub them multiple times a day, just to get hairs and then of course believing that was the proof that I was going to lose my brows.

So, the most embarrassing is probably a toss up of the two. :D

maianixon
01-08-17, 20:00
I used to have a lot of face tension from TMJ and once I felt pain/pressure sort of on/around my nose and I panicked and ran to my GP told the nurse it was urgent so I could get to see the doctor and started crying whether a feeling of pressure on my nose could be a symptom of a brain tumor... my GP just looked at me all confused and said she didnt think 'a feeling of pressure on your nose" was a symptom of anything ever lol

sdoxo
01-08-17, 20:03
I was in the car with my family. My fiance was turned towards the back seat to help our daughter with her seatbelt. I just happened to look at his neck and noticed a HUGE lump I hadn't seen before.

I automatically feel sick to my stomach and like I'm going to pass out. So my HA takes over and I just had to touch it..

My fiance turns around almost hysterical and says, "babe thats my adams apple, not a tumor" lol. Ust the way his head was turned made it stick out more than normal. So ridiculous lol

paranoid-viking
01-08-17, 20:07
Rabies. Say no more. And that bullshit stole almost one year of my life:lac:

Zomboy
01-08-17, 23:13
I worried about a lot of rediculus things that make me cringe when I think about them.
The worst I think was in 2015, I spent the whole summer scared poopless about a little dent in my tongue......

needless to say it was stupid

@sdoxo. Lol that's gold right there :roflmao:

Chrysmar09
01-08-17, 23:23
Well at one point I was scared of brain anyerisms and if I felt anything in my head I thought it was the big one... Holding my head crying...

Now im in a schizophrenic scare and literally scared of everything thinking im going crazy... Its hell

chomer86
01-08-17, 23:59
I once felt hot after dancing round my living room so took my temprature, it gave me a low reading of 33.something... i started googling.. of corse hypothermia comes up, im covering myself in fleece blankets (even though im boiling hot!) Google told me to ring 999, i called my mom and asked her if she could take me to the hospital, whilst she was on her way i rang 999 who was saying "are you sure your thermometor is working properly, its a very low temprature reading i wouldnt expect to be able to have this coversation with you" cue my mom walking in.. they said try taking your moms temprature... turns out hers was "low" too lol... seems my digital thermometer needed a new battery or both our ears needed cleaning. I still felt the need to go to my sisters house and have my temprature checked where as i suspected it was a little up (probably the fleece blankets in summer) :roflmao: :doh: you gotta laugh havent you lol was so embarrassed at the time though :doh:

happybunny13
02-08-17, 00:10
My partner pointed out to me in bed that there was a rash on my back, lots of red circles like spots. I Googled and diagnosed myself with meningitis or leukaemia. I ran to the mirror to get a proper look and saw the jumper I had been wearing that day on the floor. It was a thick knitted jumper and the pattern of the knitt had pressed onto my skin when I was sitting on the sofa before bed. I realises then I needed help

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

ShaunRyder
02-08-17, 01:38
When I was about 6 I was crying and crying because I 'forgot how to laugh'. I remember I was crying for hours because I wasn't sure how to laugh.

I remember begging my mum to call the doctor but she never did, I dont blame her ''Doctor, my son has forgotton how to laugh''.

My mum never lets me forget this! :whistles:

Leah88
02-08-17, 02:40
I thought I had melanomas on my hands one day when I woke up. I become light headed with panic, then realised it was charcoal residue from cleaning the BBQ the night before

swajj
02-08-17, 11:20
Ha ha some funny stories. :)I too could write a long list. All ridiculous.

Most ridiculous was probably my conviction that my veins were sticking out. I had absolutely nothing to go on. Knew of no sinister conditions that sticking out veins were a symptom of. I just looked at the crooks of my arms one day and was horrified to see how visible my veins had become. I walked around looking at my arms for weeks. I showed them to everyone including my psychiatrist. It didn't t help that he looked down at the crook of his own arm and I took that to mean he was comparing my abnormal veins to his normal ones. I don't even remember how I moved on from the vein thing. All I know is that I moved on to something worse. lol

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Forgot to add that my veins are still very visible. They have probably always been that way.

amu28
02-08-17, 11:31
When I was a child I was not aware of how much actual danger certain diseases pose, so I was afraid of whatever I read about. One summer, I remember, was spent being terrified of leprosy, and any little brown mark on my skin I thought was the start of leprosy and I kept prodding it with a needle to see if I can feel it :D
Then there was HIV, which they taught us about in primary school as it was a big deal in the late 80s/early 90s. But they didn't quite do it properly, as they avoided the subject of sex. So I was terrified of touching someone in case they somehow give me HIV.
Then there was pregnancy. I knew how babies were made, but when I was 12 I kept obsessing about what if a boy has a bath and the bath has some sperm in it, and then the next day he touches my hand, and the next time I use the toilet it will get me pregnant :doh:

Debden
02-08-17, 11:44
Lol where do I start. 2016 I got rushed into hospital in an ambulance because I have sever chest pains. I got to hospital, doctor came in, looked at me and told me to put my shoulders down, the pain instantly went 😂 I was so embarrassed I'd been that tense and worried my muscles went into spasm. 2017 I had a meltdown because I walked past the mirror at a part and looked pale, through I was going to have a heart attack, took my friends over an hour of me sat hysterical to remind me I had pale face makeup on.... I saw on Instagram that somebody had died of a blood clot. Instantly got a sore calf. Went to the doctors toes twice adamant I had a clot in my leg because it was sore. Tenses up that much I tore it even more and it still hurts now.... there's loads. I was once at a coffee morning in summer, sat drinking hot drinks in a hot room in a big jumper. Hot flush came over me. Instantly thought it was the start of a heart attack and they had to call an ambulance. By the time it arrived I was sat eating cake laughing 😂 I've had so many meltdowns it's ridiculous

SolidSteak
04-08-17, 12:37
The amount of crazy ones I've had make me absolutely cringe, including thinking my heart had stopped in the middle of teaching a class and nearly bolting for the door!

The most ridiculous one recently has to be when I was sat near a door from which a draft was coming....I asked my partner and parents who were all there if they could feel the draft too and they said no. Well that was it, I thought my heart was going and all my limbs were starting to turn cold which sent me running to the bathroom (which you can definitely do if your heart has stopped, not) and I just stood in the bathroom breathing and getting myself back together again for about twenty minutes.

Man, that was embarrassing but I look back at it and just laugh at myself for being so dumb.

swajj
04-08-17, 13:03
lol

It's amazing how we squirrel away little bits of information about medical conditions only to have them pop into our minds months/years later. One of my last, before I got well, was when one side of my lips felt numb. I immediately remembered something I had heard or read about sudden numbness. I was convinced that the whole of one side of my face had dropped, I could feel it...until I ran in and looked in the mirror. Same face as that morning. lol

breathefree
06-08-17, 01:03
Oh, I like this thread XD

Once when I was small I was trying to find my pulse for some reason (IDEK why) and I couldn't, so I convinced myself my heart had stopped beating and I was going to die.

Granted, I was a kid, but thinking back on it I might have been a wee bit hysterical lolol :blush: :whistles:

ScaredLizard
06-08-17, 01:42
Rabies and Brain Eating Amoeba

Cece6
06-08-17, 17:50
I love it when someone initiates lightheartedness about this, humour really helps me cope with it!

The most bizarre condition I have given myself is Epiglottis. I don't want anyone to go off and google it, but it's rare and I definitely didn't have it. I was literally begging my partner to come with me to A&E and he was like... really? Epi-freaking-glottis?

Becazican
06-08-17, 23:57
I was six years old and male and i kissed another boy and my older sister caught me and told me i could get pregnant , worried about it for months.

Skyela
07-08-17, 15:08
I think my most ridiculous one was when I was at college a good 4-5 years back! I'd just finished walking up a big hill on the way to college, and my calf was hurting. For some reason my brain didn't associate this pain with having just walked up a giant hill, and I was convinced I had a DVT in my leg...

Begged my dad to take me to the emergency doctor who just laughed at me :doh:

Makdarko2010
08-08-17, 15:39
I found some white powder on the ground at work and had to clean it up I was afraid I would get anthrax...

RadioGaGa
08-08-17, 19:18
Everyone on here probably knows me for my brain tumour fears - I'm almost as bad as HelenHoo (lol)

But one day in my dining room I moved the salt and pepper cellars and noticed all these tiny flies fly off them. I worried for hours that this was a hallucination caused by a brain tumour because I couldn't see the flies once they flew off.

It was only when my partner mentioned that he too had seen them that I calmed down lol

goldie84
09-08-17, 04:09
Oh god. Where do I start? I was scared of the hanta virus from finding little mouse poop once outside while I was cleaning my porch.

colonelkurtz
09-08-17, 04:43
I would say the brain eating amoeba was my ridiculous phase. Freaked out for a whole month about 4 years ago. Just had a water incident this past summer and also freaked out for a few days.

Right now I am freaking out about hentavrius because I saw mouse run across my floor last night and can't remember if I cleaned up droppings when I cleaned my kitcken this morning.

My little phase with schizophrenia worries was also a little silly. It didn't feel that way at the time though!!!

O and one more, I had dry skin on my nipple a month or two ago (I am also a male) and was freaking out about breast cancer even though I have had dry skin on and off that nip for years, since I was a child.