PDA

View Full Version : Smear tests, how often?

anxious
16-05-07, 21:00
Does anyone know how often you are supposed to have a test? I always had one 3 yearly but now our surgery says 5 years? Is this right?
I'm slightly (:whistles: ) obsessive about this sort of thing and if i start 'googling' smear tests heaven help me!!

anx x

groovygranny
16-05-07, 21:10
Hi anx,

It's every 3-5years depending on how old you are and where you live.

I don't think you have any cause for concern:hugs:

I can't remember the last one I had, but I'm sure it was over 3years ago (seems like it!) - and I'm 52!

Oh to be a bloke eh?:wacko:

:flowers:

syl
16-05-07, 21:17
heck
we are all thinking on the same lines today I was sat thinking when did I last have my smear and mamogram is it every three years or five
god why do we worry about these things
they will write to us when the time is right I guess

Coni
16-05-07, 21:44
Hi Its every three to five years and you should automatically recieve a mailer asking you to make an appointment when your test is due. I'm sure GPs get paid extra for this so its unlikely they'll let you forget lol! (sorry...just the cynic in me).

luv Coni XX

kate
16-05-07, 22:38
I've always had mine every 3 years.

Kate

Piglet
16-05-07, 23:14
Yes I have mine every 3 years too.

Infact the last time I went I was so nervous (not cos of the smear but being out in general) that I took a cystal with me and tucked it in my bra and when I was getting undressed it shot out of my bra and clattered allover the floor.

I was crawling about half dressed looking for it pretending how perfectly normal I am!!:blush: :yesyes:

Lol Kate do you ever remember a particularly ridiculous conversation in chat that started on smears and ended up about boiled eggs. I reckon that must have been the summer I had my smear!!

Piglet :flowers:

Quirky
16-05-07, 23:56
I've always had mine every 3 years too, in fact my next one is being done next week. I know it varies from 3-5 years depending on age and how often your particular health authority decide to do them.

Lisa x

mirry
17-05-07, 07:00
Thanks you have just reminded me that I should of had my results in April,
I had my smear done in January and was told Id get my results either way by post and that I should phone my GP too.

mmmmm feeling nervous now.

oh and mine is every 5 years !

kate
17-05-07, 07:21
Yes, Piglet, I DO remember! :blush::D

Kate x

nanny
17-05-07, 08:23
Yes it does vary between 3/5 years.
I once had abnormal results and had to have treatment, after that i had them every year for 5 years then coz they were normal they put them down to 3 now i have them done every 5 years.

i expect i'll get a telling off for this:sign20: but MEN !!!! they don't know their born...................... BLESS EM :wink:

Piglet
17-05-07, 12:17
Yes, Piglet, I DO remember! :blush::D

Kate x

I actually had tears pouring down my face that night and it's just made me a crack a big smile allover again!! :yesyes:

Piglet :flowers:

barbie
17-05-07, 22:00
Hi, I agree with what everyone has said, and I think it is now between 3-5 years, dependant on where you live and your age.

The age for your first smear used to be 21, but that has now increased to 25, as a high percentage of young women naturally have inconclusive smears, and this resulted in many having to have repeat smears every 6 months, unnecessarily.

Your surgery cant be wrong, as there will be a government standard. And as some of the other ladies have said, they have theirs every 5 years, so try not to worry about it. :)

anxious
17-05-07, 22:36
Thanks for your replies, its interesting how it varies. Anyways i just booked one, its 4yrs since last so i thought as it was starting to bug me i better do something about it.
I'm coming back as a cat and a tom cat at that:D

anx xx