PDA

View Full Version : alcohol and anxiety

geordie flower
19-05-07, 17:49
does anyone else find that their anxiety feelings reduce or even dissappear when they drink alcohol?

nomorepanic
19-05-07, 18:40
Yep and this was the only reason I knew it couldn't be something physically wrong with me cos it would still be there if I drank!

Bad route to go down though as I started drinking more and more to reduce the panic effects and then drinking more has its own side effects and makes the panic worse!

Lozzie
19-05-07, 18:53
I find that when drinking alcohol I do feel less panicky and more my old self but the day after my anxiety is sky high and horrible so its kind of a vicious circle for me.
I can drink and forget the anxiety but then the following day my anxiety feels much higher.

Laura xx:flowers:

Kate C
19-05-07, 21:41
Hi Geordie Flower,

Yep - alcohol is a central nervous system depressant so when people like us, whose nervous systems are overactive, drink alcohol it acts like an anaesthetic. It's tempting to indulge to keep the anxiety at bay but ultimately I found myself worse off in the long run, you're just suppressing what really needs to be dealt with head on and it pops up to bite you on the backside down the line!!!

Regards,

Kate

Tricky Tree
19-05-07, 22:11
I read somewhere that alcohol reduces the release of seratonin in the brain after a session.

That chemical is the "feel good" chemical, and therefore its no suprise that next day you feel worse.

Drinking in moderation is perhaps best.

Lauradee
20-05-07, 10:08
Went out last night and had a lovely evening nice meal really great time had a few drinks but didnt go to mad woke up at 2am having a panic attack been awke since I know that alcohol definintely makes my anxeity worse!

Lauradee

Jaco45er
20-05-07, 10:14
It's Sunday morning, I wasn't anxious yesterday, downed a bath full of wine last night and now feel bleh.

Nuff said

Jaco

hogwarts
20-05-07, 12:06
I find after being out with mate and having a few drinks i come home before going to bed drink 2 or 3 litres of water and you will not feel as ruff the day after it works for me give it a try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gareth:D :D :D

Jaco45er
20-05-07, 12:15
I wish you told me that yesterday ;)

geordie flower
20-05-07, 16:51
thanks for all yor replies, i realised alcohol was helping my anxiety and as a result i managed to put on 2 stone as i was having a bottle ov wine every night! ive now realised it is not the answer so i'll have to deal with it another way

josephine
21-05-07, 10:45
I feel so much better after afew drinks. I become less aware of myself. But never feel that great the day after. Terrible palpitations.

blackie
21-05-07, 18:23
Hiya
Well today is the first day that i havnt drunk any alcohol for months. Feeling pretty rubbish right now, partly from the hangover i had thismorning, and partly is a shock to my body not getting a drink.
Hopefully i will feel the benifit of it tomorrow. I am determined to gain control over my drinking.
Take care all
Blackie

pauline
21-05-07, 18:47
Hi Blackie

Your doing the right thing in giving up the alcohol. You are going to feel rough for the first few days as your body has to get used not not having the alcohol. Really its the same as giving up smoking you need to rid your body off the toxins. But it will help you and its not as if you have to give up totally just don't be drinking a bottle a night. The goverment now say that 2 small glasses of wine (red) as this seems to have the best health benefits a night will not do you any harm. I myself used to drink far to much and though it did help at the begining with the anxiety as time went on it just made me feel so ill. I now find that though i like to have a drink i will not have too much as the way i feel the next day is just not worth it and my anxiety levels go through the roof not to mention the fact that i cannot stop eating either lol.

Take care

blackie
21-05-07, 19:15
Hiya Pauline

Many thanks for your encouragment. I have acctually quit smoking this year too.lol. I think it is the first new years resolution i have ever kept.
I am planing not to drink during the week and only have a couple of small glasses of wine at the weekend. Hope it works. I have been tring to cut down on alcohol for about the last 2-3 years.
Well done on cutting down yourself. Your right, it really isnt worth the feeling the next day.
Take care all
Blackie

pauline
21-05-07, 19:25
Well GOOD on you blackie if you can give up smokng then you can cut down on your drinking. You will really will be one healthy person soon and honestly it has to help with the anxiety in the long term.

Take care

geordie flower
21-05-07, 20:05
hiya, i too was drinking a bottle of wine a night because it made my anxiety seem to go away and i felt "normal" again, but it was just temporary and in the morning my anxiety and palps were there again. I too have cut down and now only drink twice a week but ive been putting the money i would hav spent on wine in a money box and so far ive saved £85! I think i deserve a treat, just not a bottle of wine tho ha ha ha :D tracey xx

blackie
22-05-07, 12:32
Hiya

Thanks pauline. Your right, it can only help lower the anxiety

Nice one tracey. You've done really well. Nice idea of having a wine money box. Go and treat yourself, you certainly desearve it.

Blackie

sallad
23-05-07, 02:56
What happens if you drink and are on Paxil? I have always wondered.

Jaco45er
23-05-07, 16:25
I do believe Paxil's effectiveness (being an SSRI), is compromised with alcohol, it doesn't cause any adverse effects, but only makes the drug less effective.

But always, get the opinion from a professional like you're GP, not some muppet like me on the net ;)

TC
Jaco