PDA

View Full Version : NMP pamphlet - PLEASE READ!!!!

Piglet
20-05-07, 00:14
We had a thread a little while ago about the possibility of doing an NMP book filled with tips and articles by the members of NMP - a book seems a little over ambitious at this juncture but a pamphlet is perfectly achievable and could run alongside the flyers that Alex and Nic are producing.

I had in mind 3 sheets of A4 folded in half and stapled down the middle, which gives a front cover and a back cover with 10 pages inbetween.

I thought all our tips/articles could be set out like a newspaper contained in little boxes and grids using different fonts. Also putting the forum name of the person against their tip etc.

To cover costs a small charge could be made for the pamphlets - I don't think anyone would mind this as I bet we will all want to have one handy!!

Therefore could we all try and give what tips have worked for us - imagine your best mate suddenly says to you that they have started suffering, what would one of your tips be to them????:yesyes:

On the post below I will put some ideas and also could someone dig out the 'What's in your anxiety toolbox thread' cos that had loads of good ideas!

Love Piglet :flowers:

Piglet
20-05-07, 00:21
Tips I have had from this site include

Meg - Try to view palpitations the same way you would a run of annoying sneezes!!

Meg - Don't avoid people because you are embarassed that you may panic infront of them, see them as there to help you if you do!!

Trac - Please could you do your one of panic being like a bully.

Pips - Could you include your one of imagining a lollipop ladies stop sign whenever negative thoughts are in your head etc.

Any tips are considered, from our old favourites of Rescue Remedy to bottles of water and yoga etc etc.

Please contribute - as think how smashing it would be to have the comfort of our own little source of reassurance like that from all our mates. That would make me feel like I had you all with me wherever I went (not some places obviously :blush: ).

Piglet :flowers:

clickaway
20-05-07, 00:29
No ideas just yet, but I'll try and come up with something.

It would be good if we could get some sponsorship for these leaflets; I wonder if healthcare companies would be interested? Or if we could get a pharmacy chain on board, maybe they could distribute them in their outlets and promote our site at the same time?

We would have to have an idea of the costs though.

Just a thought.

clickaway
20-05-07, 00:32
Perhaps the leaflet could be 'peppered' with some of our favourite slogans - like the ones we use with our signature here.

I am thinking of changing mine to something like

"The sun shines every minute of our life, but sometimes it is just hidden from view"

:)

Piglet
20-05-07, 00:36
I suppose it all depends on how flash or how basic we want to be doesn't it.

I'm not at all sure where this little burst of oomph has just come from - one minute I was having a nice relaxing bath the next I was leaping out to grab a foolscap pad to jot it all down.

Now I've done that its time for my bed - don't know what the devil I think I'm doing still up at this time of night. My date with Paul Mckenna will have to wait till tomorrow now!

Night hun.

Piglet
20-05-07, 00:37
Oooh yes mate that's a fab quote and I think to include some of those would be brill!! :yesyes:

Really gotta go now.

eeyorelover
20-05-07, 01:05
I don't know if there is a way to explain breathing techniques in the little boxes (cuz of space constants), but learning to breath properly has helped me ALOT!!!!
xxx
Sandy

clickaway
20-05-07, 01:11
Sandy,

I have a leaflet somewhere - also have another souce to get a few words from!

:shades:

Piglet
20-05-07, 11:11
Tip

Try self hypnosis cd's eg; Glenn Harrold's 'Complete Relaxation'. The more often you use them the more comfortable and familiar they become, so that when you really do need that extra calming influence you already have a system in place!

Tip

The book 'Self Help for your nerves' by Claire Weekes is a super place to start to find reassurance on all the scary symptoms!

Tip

Avoid caffeine - this can exacerbate symptoms in many people.

Tip

Live in the here and now - don't waste time worrying about the past or the future!

nomorepanic
20-05-07, 14:21
The anxiety toolbox thread is here ...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3938

Piglet
20-05-07, 15:17
Brill thanks Nic that may trigger tips people have forgotten they knew lol!!

darkangel
20-05-07, 15:40
A little hug section maybe - just to assure us we are not alone. Inparticular if we are travelling and feel isolated if no computer there

Piglet
20-05-07, 15:42
Perhaps we could have nice picture of a group hug for that purpose Darkangel - thanks hun!

Ross
20-05-07, 16:18
..................I was having a nice relaxing bath the next I was leaping out to grab a foolscap pad to jot it all down.

I've got a Fools-Cap, its on the shelf next to the Dunce-Hat.

I'm not really helping am I? :weep: (rhetorical question)

:winks:

Piglet
20-05-07, 16:47
Piglet marches Ross to the naughty step - anymore silliness and your stella will have to be taken away!! :mad:

nomorepanic
20-05-07, 17:38
Ross - haha that yold you! :yahoo: :emot-poke: :banned:

kazzie
20-05-07, 19:12
Well if I could only give 1 peice of advice it would have to be take each day as it comes!!!

I find that life is easier if I dont look too far ahead and anticipate the anxiety things done on the spur of the moment are easier

Ok nuff rambling lol

Luv Kaz x x x:hugs:

greenfairywishes
20-05-07, 19:29
i think to combat some of the symptoms of panic
chewing gum and bottle of water for dry mouth
ipod with some of your fav music to have something to focus on
and sunglasses to hide behind in the summer and in the winter a big giant hood

they are a few of my coping strategies, hope this is the kinda thing you are looking for

laura

Ross
20-05-07, 20:33
Seeing as I keep getting told off, I thought I better make some effort to be good.

Just a quick draft of what maybe the front and back cover could look like???
Comments and Criticism more than welcome, definately some ideas from you guys as to how you would like the cover to be???

Here's my 1st attempt anyways;

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/rossinbristol22/Cover.jpg

P.S. Don't pay much attention to the text as I am useless with words..... and pictures! :weep:

edit: I probably dont have to explain this, but the crop marks are there to show the outside edge of the page, and wouldn't be included in production.

:shrug:

normalwisdom
20-05-07, 20:38
Thought you'd use my pic Ross lol hands covering face haha:blush: . You are too clever..... First tip is JFDI my mantra anyway the thing with using everyones tag lines is a good idea lots of words of wisdom there.:D

nomorepanic
20-05-07, 20:51
Ross - wow that is cool mate. Thanks for starting that.:D

My only comment is to change the wording to say that it came from members on here first and then some from professionals as that will be strictly what it is.

Cheers

Karen
20-05-07, 20:57
This is one of Meg's as I'm not able to think of my own right now. What about:

Thoughts not instructions. If you think sad you will feel low and if you think scared you will feel anxious.

Also to help stop ruminating:

1. Choose a fixed place to sit - preferably not the bedroom.
2. Choose a time ONCE a day.
3. Set a time limit of 20 minutes maximum
4. Write down your thoughts/worries.
5. When the time is up STOP and do something else.

The more we focus on these worrying thoughts the more anxious/depressed we feel.

Just some ideas.

Karen xx

Piglet
20-05-07, 22:46
Oh brilliant everyone - this is just the sort of stuff we want!! :yesyes:

Ross I love the idea of calling it the 'Survival Handbook' that's smashing - we were struggling with a name on the other thread!!

Also I really like the layout for a first 'go' but one thing I would say guys and I maybe on my own but could we have a positive image for our front cover. Maybe not a person but something a bit more ambiguous like the design they did on the front of Claire Weekes book.

Or if that seems too soppy then a cartoon of a stressed 'stick' person - bit like the emoticon of the stressed typist that people use on msn. Do you know the sort of thing?

Ross do you think you can find images in either of those sort of moulds then we could see which way we would like to go with it.

I sort of saw the book as real 'lift' when you feel crap and even looking at it gives you a sense of either calm or boost!! So I think the front cover is quite important.

Also is it worth considering cost at all here - ie: colour versus black and white - or just colour for the front???

kazzie
20-05-07, 22:56
Hi Piglet

I think it deffo needs a bit of humour injected into it:D

Laugh and the world laughs with you

Cry and you cry alone lol

Luv Kaz x x x:hugs:

Ross
20-05-07, 23:18
As it happens, I thought about a more positive image on the cover so here is that one;

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/rossinbristol22/Cover-Happy.jpg

I hadn't thought about something like the Claire Weekes one...... is it a flower or what????

But thats a good idea. I can find loads of images like that, or maybe something abstract???

As for the Survivors Handbook thingy, I don;t even know where I got that from, just typed it for some reason.

Anyways. let me hunt for some nice pretty pics and I'll post another shot.

clickaway
20-05-07, 23:22
I think the front cover image was good, but if its not what we want I can understand that. But I would have chosen a monotone blue to blend in with the logo and words. Whatever we come up with I think it has to convey a feeling of calmness and reassurance. I think our blue is a very calming hue.

It would be interesting to get a quote for a colour and monotone design. The production costs of the leaflet are likely to be less than the postage costs. We need to assess the quantity required - how are you going to know who to send them too, and what are people's views on distributing these booklets to a wider audience? It would increase our profile but we would need help with the costs then. Whatever way we go, maybe it will be a good time to push for some small donations?

A couple of tips I would include:

even if you feel bad, make the effort to get up and you'll soon feel a bit more alive
even if you feel tired, resist going back to bed - the bedroom is only for sleep and sex!
Push yourself to at least get some fresh air every day. Ideally, you should try for some exercise each day - maybe a walk or some gardening
Resist comfort eating, especially if you find going out difficult. Your body needs all the help available to make you feel good!

clickaway
20-05-07, 23:25
Ross, It would be great if we could have one of our own members smiling on the cover - maybe it would make them feel better too:)

Not that I'm volunteering, mind :lac:

Ross
20-05-07, 23:33
Ross, It would be great if we could have one of our own members smiling on the cover - maybe it would make them feel better too:)

Not that I'm volunteering, mind :lac:

Ah, C'mon Ray! lol

I was struggling with the idea of the mono-tone blue, as it kinda detracts from the logo itself. The image below is of a different blue, so the logo still stands apart, but I feel its cold.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/rossinbristol22/Cover-Rose.jpg

edited because I can't type.

EDITED to add Green Rose;
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/rossinbristol22/Cover-Green-Rose.jpg

honeybee3939
20-05-07, 23:40
Im not too good at this kind of thing Ross...lol
i was just thinking of a pic, and my choice was a pair of hands releasing a dove.

Something similar to this, but with a pair of hands

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j273/shannoncobb/1144995020-white-dove.jpg

just a thought !

Andrea
xxxxx

clickaway
20-05-07, 23:51
I agree it does look cold, Ross. Somehow I don't think the blue text goes with the flesh - what about the smiling girl in yellow mono?

A question for Nic here - you need to make sure you are covered by the images you use for NMP. When you are dealing with mental health, it could be dangerous to use any old picture as you could leave yourself open by implying that person has a mental problem. If we end up using a pic of a member or someone we know, I suggest you get them to sign a 'model release' as indemnity.

Piglet
21-05-07, 10:56
I think we could go for a calming abstact type image - not people at all!

Ross hun if you look on Amazon at Claire Weekes's books then you can see what they used.

It would be nice to have an image that doesn't shout anxiety at you cos maybe some of us would like to carry it around. A book called 'The little book of Calm' had a nice cover of bubbly clouds on a blue sky that I was always happy to keep in my bag.

While I think gentle flowery abstract designs are good we want to be careful not to look too funereal don't we and we also want to appeal to younger members too.

Maybe a modern type flowery or cloud or abstract image with the colours muted down slightly!!

ROFL - that sound easy to you hun????? :laugh:

Love Piglet

Piglet
21-05-07, 11:17
I've just been on Amazon and put in 'The little book of calm' and that gave a few ideas - also had a nice cover on the same section that at first looked like clouds in the sky but on a closer look could have been sunlight on water.

Also look at Karen Salmansohn - for more quirk cover ideas!

Maybe it doesn't have to be a reconisable image as such more a pleasent backdrop of colour.

Piglet
21-05-07, 11:23
Have a look at these covers!

Piglet
21-05-07, 11:25
Or these

Piglet
21-05-07, 11:27
and these

Sax
21-05-07, 11:40
:yesyes: Wow this is coming along isn't it, some great pics and quotes.

How about some affirmations, I love Doreen Virtue's here are some:
I deserve love
I deserve happiness
I deserve health
I listen to my inner voice and feelings
I accept love
I love
I am love
I am loving
I am very loved
I forgive everyone
I FORGIVE MYSELF
There is an abundance of love in the world
IThere is enough for everyone
There is plenty to go around

Maybe not suitable for the pamplet but I love the quote from the book 'The Tao of Pooh and Te of Piglet' - (Benjamin Hoff)
"A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly. Very simple. It's obvious isn't it? And yet, you'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are."

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
Confucius

Piglet
21-05-07, 11:44
That's great Sax - like Ray said earlier we could pepper the whole pamphlet with these sorts of quotes couldn't we.

When we get an image for the front cover that we like then we'll put it up for a vote.

trac67
21-05-07, 12:00
I always use the thought that anxiety is like the playground bully, it picks on you and if it gets a reaction from you then it will keep coming back for more, if you stand your ground and face it then it gets bored and moves on.

Love

Trac xxxx

Piglet
21-05-07, 12:33
Brill - thanks for that sausage.

Eventually when we have enough material on this thread we will be able to start the pamphlet proper!

We could also use some general guidelines from the advice pages too.

Hopefully when Alex and Nic are less hectic from all the stuff they are doing at the mo then we can all put our heads together to come up with the final thing.

yorkylover
21-05-07, 12:46
I like the idea of honeybees's white dove,very peacefull looking.:)
What about a section on different remedies that have helped peoples symptoms.Like bottled soda water for nausea and wind.Camomile tea,different rescue remedies that people have found useful.That sort of thing.:shrug:

Piglet
21-05-07, 13:00
Excellent Ellen - hun they could actually be your tips though. Please could you write them like you'd like them to appear in the brochure. If that's not your thing I could write it and get your approval????

ksmith
21-05-07, 13:15
Brilliant work Piglet, nice to see that the pamphlet is coming along. I can think of quite a few hints and tips but to be honest I don't know if I've read them or not so therefore would be unsure about plagerism and copyright! Are we citing sources in a sort of index? If so then I would feel more able to participate.

Thanks

Kay x

clickaway
21-05-07, 13:18
I took this pic last year, but I'm not sure if its a bit on the dark side. But I like the idea of 'UP' and the clouds, and there is plenty of space for text.

http://www.pbase.com/clickaway/image/70969665/large.jpg

yorkylover
21-05-07, 13:29
I would be happy for you to do that piglet.Thank you:)

Piglet
21-05-07, 13:55
" I find drinking bottled soda water helps to relieve the symptoms of nausea and trapped wind "
Yorkylover

Kay - I am guessing we would have to have some sort of wording to cover this sort of thing - if we can name a source then we will. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of this could advise???

Ray - Thanks mate another image to add to the pot. Skylight has provided some too. When we get enough we can take a vote!

Ross
21-05-07, 16:48
I couldn't find a decent size render of a Dove being released by hands, so I just used a render of a Dove in flight;

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/rossinbristol22/Cover-Dove.jpg

Sax
21-05-07, 16:52
Oooo I love that pic as a front cover Ross - awesome:yesyes:

yorkylover
21-05-07, 16:58
I like it to Ross:yahoo: :yahoo:

Ross
21-05-07, 17:03
One last one before I go completely mad with it :laugh:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/rossinbristol22/Cover-Zenn.jpg

Ross
21-05-07, 17:54
OK, I lied. I saw this render and just had to use it :wub:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/rossinbristol22/Cover-Hands.jpg

Piglet
21-05-07, 18:04
Yes Ross I like the first 2 very much!

honeybee3939
21-05-07, 18:31
Thanks Ross

I have to say i like them all :) Poor Andrea was never any good at decision making.:ohmy: lol

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

honeybee3939
21-05-07, 18:48
Ross

I found this image too, but is it too small to try?

http://www.katherinereece.com/img/dove.jpg

Love
Andrea
xxx

Piglet
21-05-07, 18:58
Another one for Ross to play with perhaps lol???

Ross is very kindly looking at a few different options also using flowers but we think rather than block up this thread he will put them in our testing area.

Please everyone feel free to come up with any suggestion for covers - like I've said before when we have enough we will narrow them down and take a vote.

Alex and Nic have done some super flyers (really professional) so the benchmark has been set and it would be nice for them all to have the same sense of flow!

Piglet

nomorepanic
21-05-07, 19:00
Oh Ross you have been a busy bunny haven't you!

I like them all to be honest - we could have 3 different covers lol - solves the problem.

Piglet - I will publish the new flyers on here once done so other members can see them.

Ross
21-05-07, 19:11
I'll just stick this one here, and then maybe others could go into the Sand-Box . I was just thinking that Members with slow internet connections would struggle with all the images in this thread???

This is my new favourite :laugh:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/rossinbristol22/Cover-Dandelion.jpg

Welshmal
21-05-07, 19:35
Well my tip FWIW............

Make the situation in as a square or rectangle....look at each corner. Slowly count 1 2 3 4 to next corner....1 2 3 4 to next 1 2 3 4 and 1234 back to where you started.

It works!

M

Ross
21-05-07, 19:37
Ross

I found this image too, but is it too small to try?

http://www.katherinereece.com/img/dove.jpg

Love
Andrea
xxx

Hi Andrea. It's a beautiful image, but yes, unfortunately too small. Shame because I think it would have worked well.

To give an idea, the image should be at least 2500pixels x pro.
Thats about 35 inches high!

It's really really tough finding renders for things like this. In fact, it's a pain in the arse :laugh:

Trev
21-05-07, 19:39
What about a pic of the sunshine coming out from behind the clouds into a clear sky? This could maybe allow you to include a dove as well.

eeyorelover
21-05-07, 20:00
I absolutely love this pic but I know it's WAY too small.
Just thought the idea would be a good one to pass on.

Of course without the word 'love' but I think the idea of a dove over water with the reflection is cool!!!

I also like this one

It's a little more 'out there' tho kinda like me - LOL
xxx
Sandy

honeybee3939
21-05-07, 20:00
Thanks Ross

Bet your having so much fun sorting all these images out !!lol:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :lac:

Hugs
Andrea
xxxxx

Tiggs
21-05-07, 20:02
An elastic band worn round the wrist - ping it really hard & the pain will stop a wibble coming on.

Tiggs
-x-

eeyorelover
21-05-07, 20:10
Ok I forgot one....

This one made me think of this site but it's not flashy or anything. Just wanted to share it.

xxx
Sandy

monty
21-05-07, 20:18
Hi,

Don't know if this has already been said as I haven't had chance to read all the threads...

Positive self-talk. Beating yourself up about your anxiety/panic won't help. Think to yourself 'I won't always be like this'.
Talk to other people about it- you might be surprised by their reaction and it really does help to talk.
Small steps- don't rush things.
Acceptance- My EFT practioner has told me that the less time you give yourself to recover, the longer it tends to take.Think I should try and listen to my own advice a bit more! :winks:

Will you be letting us know when this leaflet is ready- I will definetly want one!

Lucy :)

estha
21-05-07, 20:24
I have a few tips which I have found helpful ,Lavender oil on your wrist at bedtime or when u are really stressed.Camomile tea is very good to help you sleep and has sedative effect ,normal tea and coffee makes it worse.
Counting backwards from 100 when you go out whilst walking helps you to forget how scared you sometimes are,distraction is another way of forgetting your anxiety.I also find that blowing out ,discretly of course,helps if u tend to overbreathe.Kalms taken 3 times a day helps with anxiety .
now for what seems really funny but helps so much,try burping when u get palpitations ,it stops them ,dont know why ?Perhaps its all the air intake .Squeezing your face tight can also help with palpitations,especially your eyes,splashing your face with cold water or sipping freezing cold water can also help with these scary palps.
I hope these tips help someone .

alexis
21-05-07, 21:04
I have to go with my usual ones which have been with me over the last couple of years, small pieces of blu tac to twiddle, can be put in a small plastic bag and placed in pocket, so as to be inconspicuos and elastic bands. I also had a small stress ball with elastic bands fastened to it, but it broke and the ones in the shops now are too big to hide in my pocket!
Good luck Piglet, sounds like its going well.x

spiral
21-05-07, 21:22
my tips would be:

the thing that helps me most is the thing that is hardest to do i.e don't try to fight the panic. if you just let the panic attack happen without waiting for it to stop it passes much quicker.

Avoid caffeine. Camomile tea is much more relaxing but if you can't stomach that, red bush (rooibos) tea is nearer in taste to regular tea but caffeine free.

Watch what you eat. Eating a low sugar, high vegetable diet will balance you blood sugar. Then you will avoid getting an excess of adrenaline (that can aggrivate panic attacks) from low blood sugar.

montypythonfan
21-05-07, 21:47
Hi there,

I've been told by some that this is a safety net but it really works for me. I'm slightly agrophobic and have panic attacks all the time in new or simply open spaces and I find it such a comfort when I'm on my own to have my phone with me. I never use it but simply knowing I have it on me so I can call someone if things get too bad is comfort enough for me.

Jess
Xxx

Piglet
21-05-07, 22:10
Brilliant you guys - this is just what we want! :yesyes:

Keep em coming!!

peoplelikeus
21-05-07, 22:28
My attacks dealt with by:

1. Giving up drink & cigarettes.
2. Pinching my skin sometimes when having an attack.
3. Reading all the books I could afford.
4. Learning relaxation techniques
5. Trying to focus on something else apart from me and how I feel.
6. Propranolol helps me too.
7. Seeking help. (Psychologists)
8. Starting my own self help group in Stockport.
9. Trying to come to terms with the illness and its effects on my life. (Try to accept and think POSITIVE)
10. Trying to learn how to live with the attacks.
11. Try to get society to recognise our existence and be sympathetic to our problem. The same with the medical profession, mainly G.P's.
12. Understanding how panic attacks work and why.
13. Knowing that it will not kill me and to feel the fear without being afraid.
14. Writing down my experiences and poetry
15. Get enough sleep!!!!!!!!

Piglet
21-05-07, 22:31
:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Super :yesyes:

clickaway
21-05-07, 22:59
Relax by doing things that do not entail being a couch potato!

If you don't really have a hobby, find one!

A creative hobby is usually better to calm you down

Take some exercise whether it be gardening, walking or swimming

Try not to bottle up your feelings - try and get out there and talk to people even if it's just idle chatter!

Don't be afraid to seek help

PaulineB
21-05-07, 23:26
When I feel an attack starting I start mentally counting backwards from 100, I find that having to concentrate on something really helps.

Pauline

cece
22-05-07, 01:04
What is helping me most is countering my thoughts in a TEA form from the CBT book by Sam Obitz. They are really simple but deliver good results if you work at them dillegently.

johnr2
22-05-07, 01:14
when I am having a panic attack like in a store where i usaly get them,I have tryed a new technique to me , as soon as its starts , I try to analize whats going through my mind right at that moment and walk through it as slow as posible, it cuts the time of the attack, and i get through it a lot faster, I just started this and it seems to help

Hope this will help others

John

manmoor
22-05-07, 08:40
"Always keep the mind occupied and fill it with positive thoughts and actions."

Piglet
22-05-07, 09:52
Super - any tip, even if seems a funny one will be considered!! :yesyes:

Sax
22-05-07, 09:55
:shades: If you own an MP3 player, download some calming meditation music on plus some of your favourite songs for those anxious moments and keep it in your bag for when you want to escape the situation.
Simple but I find music is a perfect distraction.

Download for free into itunes from Ares 2.0.9.3030:yesyes:

Magpie
22-05-07, 09:58
Presumably there's going to be some sort of introductory paragraph, I'd like it if there was something in there about anxiety and panic disorders being a really wide category; when I was first diagnosed I thought it must have been the wrong diagnosis because all the descriptions I read of GAD sounded nothing like me! Also a mention that the conditions can have lots of different causes, from external factors in your life to genetic causes.

As for tips, my number one tip would be to seek professional help and keep on seeking it if you're not happy with the initial response! I can't believe I wasted so many years living half a life instead of getting the help I needed.

I can't remember who made the suggestion about finding a creative hobby, but I would definitely second that.

Also, I think exercise can help a lot, even for people (like me) who've never really liked that sort of thing.

Sax
22-05-07, 10:03
If you are a coffee addict and need to cut down on the caffeine try to detox your body by drinking hot water with freshly sliced lemon in first thing in morning and last thing at night.:yesyes: Also maintain your water input very important at least 2and half litres per day, I keep a bottle in fridge with lemon slices in it and have to drink that by bedtime!

Paddington
22-05-07, 11:15
SING!!!!Think of a lyric you like with a slow beat and sing out loud or in your head over and over again,,it works in the same way as counting does..only more fun..well maybe not for those listening :shades: Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

beachsidegirl
22-05-07, 13:35
Hi,

I find Bach's Rescue Remedy helps a bit and sometimes just trying to relax to a favourite DVD (if you have the time!) can take your mind off things.

I've tried to cut out as much caffeine as possible too because it seems to make me buzz!

:)

yorkylover
22-05-07, 14:06
These help me through my PA's.
1) I keep an electric table top fan next to the bed,very good if you wake up in a panic and need to cool down.

2)A cold wet flannel over your face.

3)Bottled soda water for trapped wind and nausea feeling.Or a level teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of water.Brings up wind.

4)Boiled water,sipped slowly for stomach cramp and wind.

5)Keep a relaxation tape or cd handy,it helps to hear a relaxing voice.

6)Camomile tea is very calming,I havent drunk tea or coffee for two years now.

7) Try and get some sort of exercise even if its just walking the dog.

8) keep occupied,I have started doing colouring,may seem childish,but I love it.I get these doodle design colouring books and it keeps my mind occupied.
Thank you.

I would just like to say,alot of people google and its bad news.
About 20 years ago I used to buy womens magazines just to read the medical sections,and I used to have a medical dictionary as we didnt have a computer.This made my anxiety 100 times worse.I managed to get myself out of this and have never looked back.

Piglet
22-05-07, 14:13
Ellen thanks for that hun - I can go with the colouring in too!!

clickaway
22-05-07, 14:33
Don't do colouring, but have lately been seeing how many words I can make up from a larger word - keeps the brain active when you don't have any energy!

giddy
22-05-07, 16:28
I found drinking lots of water helped - sipping it throughout the day.
Playing a relaxation tape in bed - even though it didn't send me to sleep it helped to calm me so I still felt a little relaxed.
Getting fresh air everyday and some exercise - when I felt my anxiety excalating I used to grab my husband and we'd walk the streets until I calmed down!
Try not to get too hungry - my panic was always worse if I was hungry. I always had water and a banana by my bed and the moment I woke, I ate and drank - it seemed to help!
Talking to somebody - anybody, about anything!!
Don't google!

dielpet
22-05-07, 17:17
I read somewhere that a panic has a beginning and an end, so when you are in the middle of one remember that it won`t last forever and it will subside. Try not to fight it,go with it and you will come out of it having had a little victory that it didn`t beat you.:flowers:

elfwin84
22-05-07, 18:12
i listen to audio books! just for the fact that you can listen to stories and be completly absorbed in something else for a while, especially helps because i don't like getting on trains, so i listen to them before and after work whilst i'm commuting.
Singing helps- i know someone else put that up, but it controls your breathing and plus you can have doing it!

honeybee3939
22-05-07, 19:15
I always find running up and down the stairs a couple of times helps me when i feel panic.

Also, my MP3 player as been a godsend when im out and about on my own, especially when waiting for a bus.

and when im feeling uncomfortable on a car journey i find counting the different colours of cars or make names out of car number plates, helps too.

Love
Andrea
xxxx

pips
22-05-07, 22:49
Hi Pinklet Pringle,:D

Great Idea about the Pamphlet hun.:yesyes:

Here' s a few of me old favourites.

When ever you thoughts are over irrational and out of control imagine a Lollypop Lady holding a BIG STOP sign http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B0C9FBA8-2678-4CCB-BFF0-C8C025244382/0/onpatrol.jpg and then do exactly just that! STOP DISTRACT AND DIVERT YOUR TRAIN OF THOUGHT!

"Home Has No Magical Powers To Keep You Safe - Your Safe Place Lies Within Yourself"

You Have A Coin Which Spells The Word FEAR - On One Side Of The Coin It Reads "False Evidence Appearing Real" (This relates to a panic attack!) On The Other Side It Reads "Face Everthing And Recover!"

"Turn Your Face To The Sun And The Shadows Will Fall Behind You"

"Illness Is Not Something A Person Has It's Another Way Of Being"

"Think Of Your Adrenal Glands As Two Lemons! Every Time You Frighten Yourself With Anxious Thoughts Your Body Is Pouring Out The Adrenalin Which Causes The Symptons. Stop And Remind Yourself To Stop Squeezing Those Lemons"!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_146_23.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZCxdm594YYGB)

"Fearful Thoughts Bring On Fearful Feelings"

"Don't Be A Victim Of Your Own Behaviour"

"Recovery Doesn't Always Mean Being Completely Free Of Anxiety: The Aim Is To Get It Down To A More Normal Level"

Angels fly because they take themselves lightly.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_12v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZCxdm594YYGB)

I AM BRAVE. MORE BRAVE THAN MOST OTHER PEOPLE BECAUSE I FACE MY FEARS EVERYDAY.

NO ONE IS "BETTER" OR "WORSE" THAN ANYONE ELSE. WE ARE JUST DIFFERENT.

BE CONTENT WITH MYSELF AS I AM. HAPINESS COMES FROM THE ACCEPTANCE OF MY REAL SELF NOT FROM STRIVING DESPERATELY TO PLEASE OTHERS.

ANXIETY AND PANIC ATTACKS CANNOT MAKE ME GO MAD!!.

Remember setbacks are a positive thing 'cause they show you have made progress. If you had never moved forward you wouldn't recognise a setback!

Take Care,

Love & Hugs,:hugs:

Pip's X X X X

peoplelikeus
23-05-07, 02:33
Sorry just thought of another coping strategy I use sometimes. I get very hot when I'm panicking sometimes so I go to the bathrooom and put my wrists under the really cold tap. It's great.

Piglet
23-05-07, 10:44
Thank you so much everybody who is contributing - we are well on the way now, although never the less you can still keep replying! :yesyes:

mirry
23-05-07, 20:28
Ok, thought id give a few of my thoughts if thats ok ?

As I have a phobia of birds , I wouldnt want a photo of a bird in my bag ,lol....sorry they make me panic and it is a common phobia I believe ?

So how about some mindfulness photos ?
A tree ! and how it is rooted to the earth "strong" and how the branches that blow about in the wind are our "emotions" a tree is solid.

or

Water , "calming" .

mirry
23-05-07, 20:51
TIP: when feeling anxious remind yourself "I am feeling the way I am thinking".

TIP: When feeling dizzy If you need a paper bag to breath into but cant find one, cup your hands over your mouth and nose instead .

mirry
23-05-07, 21:01
Also forgot to say Piglet , Im sorry I didnt get on with this project like I said I would, I have so many ideas yet dont seem to get the ball rolling !
Thank you for doing this.

jill
23-05-07, 21:03
Hi Piglet,

Is this what you wanted?

On a positive note, I've learned that, no matter what happens, how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she
handles four things: a rainy day, the elderly, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.

I've learned that, regardless of your relationship with your parents,
you'll miss them when they're gone from your life.

I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a
"life.."

I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both h ands. You need to be able to throw something back.

I've learned that if you pursue happiness, it will elude you. But if
you focus on your family, your friends, the needs of others, your work and doing the very best you can, happiness will find you.

I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I
usually make the right decision.

I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.

I've learned that every day, you should reach out and touch someone.

People love that human touch -- holding hands, a warm hug, or just a
friendly pat on the back.

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.!

I've learned that you should pass this on to everyone you care about.
I just did.

Take care

LOVE JILLXX

Piglet
23-05-07, 21:04
Aww that's ok sausage - we're all involved one way or another arn't we! :yesyes:

Really like the quote about feeling the way you are thinking - how true is that eh!!!

Piglet

Piglet
23-05-07, 21:06
Jill - thanks hun, that's exactly what I meant. So many of those really made me think and I'm sure some if not all could make it into the pamphlet and I may just print it off and pin it above my computer too.

Many thanks :hugs:

Piglet
25-05-07, 11:11
Like the idea of mindfulness pics too Mirry!

mirry
25-05-07, 11:17
yeah me too, I cant bear to look at a pictur of a bird, when I was younger I used to have very severe panic attacks if I went near a bird or I could see one in the distance, when I went into town I would walk the long way round to avoid pigions , yuk!
Now days Im not so bad but just try not to look at them.

please please dont use a bird on the photo (please?),lol.

Just thought my hubby has a perfect photo of a tree that he took in the mist, its perfect for mindfulness....shall I get him to upload it ?

Piglet
25-05-07, 11:29
Yes please Mirry! :yesyes:

Just adding in the other 'tips' thread that may have stuff we want to use too!!

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4745

mirry
25-05-07, 12:09
these are two mindfulness photos my husband has taken....

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/mirry_photos/6mtreeinfog.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/mirry_photos/rose.jpg

mirry
25-05-07, 12:10
the first photo is a tree in the mist

Piglet
25-05-07, 12:10
Mirry - I love both of those!!! :yesyes:

mirry
25-05-07, 12:20
heres an interesting photo my husband took,

it sort of sums up how I feel about having anxiety and panic

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/mirry_photos/barbwire.jpg

skylight2007
25-05-07, 12:21
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Oh my goodness Mirry, the tree is brill, and you wont believe this, yesterday I was looking at red roses!!! thanks for the email hon!!! this project is really coming along, the tree is really representative of mindfulness, peace and reflective is what I feel when I look at that!!!!

Love always. Sky:hugs: :yesyes: :flowers:

hope everyone is doing ok!!!

mirry
25-05-07, 12:28
ahh thanks sky, I will tell my hubby you like it, my hubby sells some of his photos in local shops, I asked him for some mindfulness photos and thats what he came up with!
Cant wait to see your photos sky, can you post them here ?

This project is so much fun, maybe we could do different booklets ,lol.

skylight2007
25-05-07, 12:37
:hugs: :hugs: Mirry hon have sent them to you in an email, have tried to upload them for all to see but couldnt, so sent them to our Piglet to pass onto Ross. check your email hon, see what you think, if someone can upload them feel free, because I cant for some reason. Tell hubby he is has a real talent!!!! by the way hon, I took those pics on my mobile phone!!!!!

love always hon, Skyxx:hugs: :flowers:

mirry
25-05-07, 12:50
sky I will go check my email in a mo :yesyes: .

you are clever , i dont know how to upload photos from my mobile phone ?
My 9 year old daughter was playing with my mobile camera the other day and took a fantastic photo of flowers in the garden and it turned out relaly proffesional looking ,lol.....she was pleased with it:winks: .

Piglet
25-05-07, 13:22
Actually Ross - did you get the pics I sent you from skylight????

Piglet
25-05-07, 17:46
Adding in this thread too.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9114

Ross
25-05-07, 17:49
Actually Ross - did you get the pics I sent you from skylight????

Sowwi Piglet, Only just seen this thread...... I got the 2 with the beach as the background.... Like it very much, but the image is too small for high quality production print.

Would you like me to dig out a similar image just as a test?

Piglet
25-05-07, 21:37
Anything you want to (and have time for) to throw into the pot is most appreciated my darlin! :yesyes:

I'd like to get about 4/5 pics for us all to have a vote on eventually - I certainly think the dandelion with the white gradient is looking strong at the mo and I have even got over my dislike of having a person in it!

I did like the white rose very much but once the image of womens toilet type matters were discussed I'm now not so sure.

Rather like the new one of the collection of pics too.

Anything that conveys calmness and positivity works for me - liking dandelions, sunflowers, clouds, lots of blue, pringles, erm ... rolo's, :yesyes:

Love Piglet

skylight2007
26-05-07, 10:03
:hugs: :hugs: Hey folks do you remember this, could be helpful wrote it on the thread NMP on wikipedia.

Hiya Alex, heres my take on things, I to like the description online community, sounds very together and supportive.

NO MORE PANIC is MAKING A DIFFERENCE!

Are you someone who is suffering from anxiety disorders?

Are you trying to understand your symptoms related to your anxiety?

Is anxiety affecting the quality of your life?

Do you often feel alone and isolated with your thoughts and feelings?

Do you need support for your recovery?

Accredited by the National Health Service, No more panic is an online community service, supporting people just like you. The site is developed and maintained by dedicated administrators who understand how anxiety can affect the life of sufferers.

Stress can affect people in different ways. May be you or someone you know is suffering from General anxiety, Panic attacks, OCD, Agoraphobia, specific phobias and Health anxiety. If you are looking for Support and understanding to aid your recovery, then this is where No More Panic can make a difference to you and those you care about.

No more Panic provides, a free online membership for their members, information on specific anxiety related disorders and supported moderated community forums. As a valued member, No more panic is committed to making a difference, supporting you along your journey of recovery!

Love Sky:flowers:

pips
26-05-07, 10:37
:yesyes: That's excellent Sky describes it to a T hun!:yesyes:

Loadsa Love,

Take care,:flowers:

Pip's X X X X

ksmith
27-05-07, 10:03
At most diet clubs they have a maintenance programme. eg., you've lost your excess weight, how do you keep it off. I feel I am 'recovered' from acute anxiety but am having trouble maintaining my recovery and it's a really difficult thing to do. I would love to see something in the pamphlet that gives tips to help maintain wellness.

One mistake I made was to think, 'oh well, I'm better now, let's get back to the drinking, smoking eating junk sort of life' ...... only to find the anxiety creeping back into my life. I have found out the hard way that once 'recovery' is achieved it has to be managed in order for it to be sustainable. In my case, this has meant no return to bad habits .... I am a different person. Like an alcoholic, there is no return to the 'old you', I have been fundamentally changed by this 'illness'. Another member of the forum has described it as becoming a beautiful butterfly (thanks GG) learning to fly with delicate wings.

So, that's my contribution. Something about where we go from the point of 'recovery' in order we don't return to the 'dark' days.

Thanks

Kay x

Piglet
27-05-07, 11:17
Kay - that's totally true hun.

I've always thought that my anxiety was a sign that I was living in a way that wasn't good for me and needed to look at the way I respond to life and make some changes!!

Like you say these changes need to be incorporated into the way you live your life in the future and I for one think that is a very positive thing to come out of it all!!

Good post mate! :hugs:

Piglet
31-05-07, 11:07
I'm going to start collating soon (I'm sure there are tablets for that)!!!!

Piglet
31-05-07, 16:12
At the time I was thinking about using the structure of the main menu on the left as a good starting point – use those as chapters and sections. Perhaps even print out whole sections from the site, with maybe a little editing and rewriting as appropriate. Then I thought extracts from the forum – tips, advice, personal stories, etc – could be added as quotes throughout the articles to support them.

Perhaps something like that could now be a different publication, keeping this one as a little comforting booklet of reassuring tips.

LOL hun - I had this exact conversation with Nic on msn a few days ago!! I said almost word for word what you've said above!! Perhaps once we've got the booklet up and running that could be a possible project for the future cos I totally agree with you!!

Meanwhile I will add your tip and will ask Nic about the link too!! :yesyes:

Piglet
31-05-07, 16:35
Right well I have been collating all afternoon :ohmy: and we seem to have plenty for the pamphlet so far.

Will you all bear in mind the following;

1. I may have had to shorten the text in places due to constraints of space - this can be looked at again if anyone is not happy!

2. Where poss I have used both user name and real name (again any probs with that please just say so).

3. Obviously some tips were mentioned more than once so I have tried to be fair in the way I have used them.

4. These are some reminders for me still to do;

a) Look at the Anxiety toolbox thread!
b) Refer to Jill's post for some great quotes! (page 10)
c) Refer to Pip's post for the same thing! (page 9)
d) Refer to Skylights post for ideas to include (page 12)
e) Check if its ok to use quotes and sayings etc??
f) See if we can inject a little humour here and there.
g) Ask Eeeby is she can look at the grama & postrophies etc (lol)!!
h) Nag Ross for 4 possible covers to vote on now!!
i) Discuss the possibility of using smilie graphics inside the booklet to keep the booklet cheerful!!
j) Who the hell is going to design the inside layout with all the tips etc - Alex Nic Ross anybody .......wail!!!
k) Check we have included all the really useful tips and there aren't any glaring ommissions!!!

I will start posting the tips on here page by page a little later cos it's now Pringle time!!

mirry
31-05-07, 17:56
oooo how exciting Piglet, I hope i get a mention in it :blush: ,,,
you could llist me as "mad mirry" lol.

Also do you feel there is anything missing in the booklet ?
Anything you feel we havent covered ?
Is there anything I can do ? I am feeling a bit brighter today so feel able :yesyes: .

Piglet
31-05-07, 18:04
Yes I do feel the odd things could be missing - I would like some humour in it (I don't necessarily mean jokes as such) or a human feel of everyday folk if that makes sense.

I mean sometimes we have such a laugh on here about one thing or another and I would like that humour to come across in the pamphlet - so if anybody has some ideas on how we can achieve that then they would be most welcome!!!

Also when I have finished typing the tips perhaps it will become glaringly obvious what basic tips we may not have mentioned - also we may not have the room to use absolutely every tip!!

honeybee3939
31-05-07, 18:08
Ohh i like the idea of a bit humour Piglet, anxiety dosnt have to be all doom and gloom. :) Will get my thinking hat on :nicked: !

Love
Andrea
xxxxx

Piglet
31-05-07, 18:09
We need a tip about a breathing exercise that works someone - I guess we could take the one from the advice pages unless someone has a favourite?????

mirry
01-06-07, 07:57
Piglet when i can remember to do it, the breathing excersize i find works best for me is ,
When trying to correct your breathing, forget counting numbers in and out, just do some slow big breaths in and out , its easier to remember.

mirry
01-06-07, 07:59
Piglet , how about taking from that thread about funny moments with having panic attacks ?

monty
01-06-07, 10:58
A simple and easy breathing exercise I've found helpful (when I can relax enough to do it!) is just to breathe in slowly, counting to 5, then breath out for a little longer, counting to 7...

Thanks for all your hard work on this!!

Lucy :)

EebyJeeby
01-06-07, 12:58
Piglet, I can do the editing (as requested!) and the internal layout too, depending on when it's gotta be done.

Piglet
01-06-07, 13:10
Piglet hugs Eeby very hard and feels a wave of relief come over her - so much so she offers a pringle!!!:ohmy: :hugs:

Eebs I don't think we have any time scale as such hun! :yesyes:

What I will start doing is typing them up on here (it's not certain we can use every single tip and the final decision will rest with Nic and Alex) and then perhaps you could tidy them up using the edit facility button (it's best for me not to be pressing any buttons) and just place a note on the bottom in red that you have done that page/post.

I currently have 10 pages worth of quotes - it sounds alot but when you look at it it doesn't look massively ridiculous .....phew!

Mirry - I think I know the page you mean hun and yes that's a super idea I will go and look and see if there is stuff we can use! :hugs:

Now I better just go and do my Tesco shop - I will be back!!

EebyJeeby
01-06-07, 13:28
Piglet hugs Eeby very hard and feels a wave of relief come over her - so much so she offers a pringle!!!:ohmy: :hugs:

My god, I am honoured! :winks:

Piglet
01-06-07, 14:36
1st Batch

"Take each day as it comes - I find life easier if I don't look too far ahead and anticipate anxiety. Things done on the spur of the moment are easier."
Kazzie

"To combat some of the symptoms of panic, I chew gum and have a bottle of water with me. I also listen to my iPod, and wear sunglasses in the summer and a big hood in the winter."
greenfairywishes (Laura)

"Just Flipping Do It (JFDI) is my mantra."
Normalwisdom (Steph)

"A tip Meg gave me was to recognise the impact my thoughts have - if you think sad you will feel low, and if you think scared you will feel anxious!"
Karen

"Put a few drops of essential oil on a cottonwool ball - I like neroli or lavender oil - and carry it with you to sniff when you need to clear your head or change your mood."
Piglet

"In the midst of panic, it's not so easy to think about a counted breathing exercise, so a simple alternative is yawning, which is like a l-o-n-g 'out' breath. Try it and see how relaxing it feels."
Nigel
www.psychology-solution.com (http://www.psychology-solution.com)

"I have an Indian Head Massage every 2 weeks."
Jenny

"It's belly dancing for me - I feel very relaxed after my class or when I practice at home."
groovygranny

"Deffo yoga for me - it pulls all the tension out of anxious muscles."
Piglet

"When anxious, remind yourself : 'I am feeling the way I am thinking' ."
Mirry

"Remember, setbacks are a positive thing, cos they show that you have made progress. If you had never moved forwards, you wouldn't recognise a setback."
Pips (Pippa)

"Keep a daily mood diary when you feel upset - the thoughts that make you feel bad are often illogical and distorted."
Mirry

Edited

Piglet
01-06-07, 14:50
2nd Batch

"I find that running up and down the stairs a couple of times helps me if feel panicky, by using up some of the adrenaline rushing around my body."
honeybee3939 (Andrea)

"On car journeys, I find that counting the different colours of cars, or making names out of car number plates, helps."
honeybee3939 (Andrea)

"Whenever your thoughts are irrational and out of control, imagine a lollipop lady holding a big STOP sign and then do exactly that: STOP, distract and divert your thoughts."
Pips (Pippa)

" I can get hot when I am panicky, so I go to the bathroom and put my wrists under the really cold tap - it's great!! "
peoplelikeus

"It's a fact that if a person can imagine something vividly enough, the mind cannot tell the difference between that and the real thing.
So what might happen if you started imaging things going well for a change - that can feel equally real too. Your mind will believe you've already successfully coped so, when you do it for real, it's like you've already done it all before and this time it'll be a doddle."
Nigel
www.psychology-solution.com (http://www.psychology-solution.com)

"I listen to audio books - I don't like getting on trains and this helps me get absorbed in something else whilst I'm commuting."
elfwin84

" Panic has a beginning and an end, so when you are in the middle of one, remember it won't last forever and you will come out of it having had a little victory that it didn't beat you."
dielpet (Diane)

"Try not to get too hungry - my panic was always worse if I was hungry. I keep water and a banana to hand."
giddy

"I see how many words I can make up from a larger word - keeps the brain active when you don't have any energy."
clickaway (Ray)

Edited

Piglet
01-06-07, 15:08
3rd Batch

"Sing - think of a lyric with a slow beat and sing it over and over again outloud or in your head. It works like counting does - only more fun."
Paddington

"I find Bach Rescue Remedy helps."
beachsidegirl

"Keep occupied - I've started colouring; it may seem childish but I love it. I get the doodle design colouring books and it keeps my mind occupied."
yorkylover (Ellen)

" I used to have a medical dictionary, as we didn't have a computer - this made my anxiety 100 times worse. I managed to get out of this and have never looked back."
yorkylover (Ellen)

" I asked a friend the other day how his health was and he replied 'Oh much better since I stopped googling '." :D
Piglet

"Maintain your water input by drinking plenty of water - I keep a bottle in the fridge with lemon slices in it and have to drink it by bedtime."
Sax

"My number one tip is to seek professional help and keep seeking it if you aren't happy with the initial response."
Magpie

"Download calming meditation music or your favourite songs onto your MP3 player for those anxious moments and keep it in your bag."
Sax

"Always keep the mind occupied with positive thoughts and actions."
manmoor (Mandy)

"If I am having a panic attack, I analyse what is going through my mind right at that moment and walk through it as slowly as possible - it cuts down the time of the attack."
johnr2

"If you don't have a hobby, find one."
clickaway (Ray)

"Try not to bottle up your feelings - get out and chat to people, even if it's just idle chatter."
clickaway (Ray)

"Don't be afraid to seek help."
clickaway (Ray)

Edited

Piglet
01-06-07, 15:28
4th Batch

"Counting backwards from 100 - it really helps to have something to concentrate on."
PaulineB

"What helps me the most is countering my thoughts in a TEA form from the book by Sam Obitz. They are really simple, but deliver good results if you work at it diligently."
cece

"A tip I got from Meg was to try and view my palpitations as no more annoying than a run of sneezes would be."
Piglet

"Another tip from Meg was not to avoid people because you are embarassed about having a panic attack in front of them - see them as there to help if you did!"
Piglet

"I find it such a comfort to have my phone with me when I am on my own. I never use it, but simply knowing it's there and I can call someone is comfort enough."
montypythonfan (Jess)

"My tips are:
1. Pinching my skin.
2. Learning relaxation techniques.
3. Focusing on something else apart from me.
4. Starting my own self-help group in Stockport.
5. Getting enough sleep.
6. Seeking help."
peoplelikeus

"Don't fight the panic - let it happen and it will pass much quicker."
Spiral

"I twiddle with small pieces of blu-tac - in the same way as people do with worry beads."
Alexis

"Avoid caffiene and watch what you eat. Try eating a low sugar, high vegetable diet to balance your blood sugar levels."
Spiral

"I regularly chill out by listening to Glenn Harrold self hypnosis CDs - the more I listen to them, the better I feel, giving me a system already in place when I need it."
Piglet

"Try and master the art of living in the present moment - don't waste time worrying about the past or the future. A good book on this subject is 'Present Moment Awareness' by Shannon Duncan."
Piglet

"I find blowing out (discreetly) helps, if you overbreathe."
estha

Edited

mirry
01-06-07, 15:38
Hey what about a section on our favourite quotes ????
that would fill it up a bit .

mirry
01-06-07, 15:41
shall i begin ?

Ok,

Greek philosopher Epictetus said, "Men are not disturbed by things,but by the views they take of them."
--------------------
"Happiness is a matter of one's most ordinary and everyday mode of consciousness being busy and lively and unconcerned with self"
Iris Murdoch.

Piglet
01-06-07, 15:50
5th Batch

"Wear an elastic band around the wrist - ping it really hard and the sensation will help stop a wibble coming on."
Tiggs

" Lavender oil on your wrist at bedtime and camomile tea helps you to sleep; walking helps you forget how scared you are."
estha

"Squeezing my face tightly can help me with palpitations, as does splashing it with cold water - or sipping cold water."
estha

"Always use positive self-talk - think to yourself I won't always be like this. Talk to other people - you may be surprised by their reaction. Small steps - don't rush things. Acceptance - the less time you give yourself to recover, the longer it tends to take."
Monty (Lucy)

"I breathe in slowly counting to 5, then breathe out for a little longer, counting to 7."
Monty (Lucy)

"Even if you feel bad, make the effort to get up and dressed and you'll feel a bit more alive. Resist going back to bed - the bedroom is only for sleep and sex! Push yourself to at least get fresh air everyday. Ideally, try for some exercise everyday, like gardening or walking."
clickaway (Ray)

"I find drinking bottled soda water helps to relieve the symptoms of nausea and trapped wind."
yorklover (Ellen)

"Make the situation as a square or rectangle, look at each corner and slowly count 1 2 3 4 to the next corner ...... 1 2 3 4 to the next corner and 1 2 3 4 back to where you started. "
welshmal

"Anxiety is like the playground bully - it picks on you and if it gets a reaction it comes back for more. If you stand your ground and face it, then it gets bored and goes away."
trac67

" I love affirmations, particularly those from Doreen Virtue:
- I deserve love
- I deserve happiness
- I forgive everyone
- I deserve health
and many more."
Sax

" I too love affirmations and I like Louise Hay's cards, which are cheerful - we can see how speaking negatively has affected us, so it stands to reason that if we do the reverse we will feel much better."
Piglet

" To help stop ruminating:
1. Choose a fixed place to sit - preferably not the bedroom.
2. Choose a time ONCE a day.
3. Set a time limit of only 20 mins max.
4. Write down your thoughts and worries.
5. When the time is up, STOP and do something else.
The more we focus on worrying thoughts, the more anxious /depressed we feel.
This tip was given to me by Meg."
Karen

Edited

Piglet
01-06-07, 15:51
Yes Mirry we will be having quotes we just need to check out whether we are allowed???

mirry
01-06-07, 15:57
i did wonder about that but as they are all on the web freely used i cant see why not ? As long as we name the person whos quote is is/was then It should be seen as compliment ,lol.

Piglet
01-06-07, 16:32
I think we should have a humorous section too so;

Looking back and able to laugh (a bit)

“I am now able to laugh at some of my little episodes at this time. I remember laying in the side corridor of my doctors surgery (actually on the carpet), convinced I was having a heart attack, with my friend idling away the time watching the ornamental fish in the tank - like you do when your best friend is having a heart attack. Couldn't understand why surgery staff were just stepping over me, but didn't actually care much, as at least I was having my heart attack in peace and the right place.”
Piglet

“I also remember several school runs and I mean runs! I had children struggling to keep up with me on the the walk home, or should I say sprint, giggling away thinking it all such a lark (them not me - my face was something else entirely)!”
Piglet

“Asking my doctor if I had mad cow disease very earnestly and him, also very earnestly (with a twitch at the corner of his mouth), reassuring me that I didn't!”
Piglet

“People came out of the woodwork all over the place to tell me of their experiences (which helped), my ex telling me it would get worse before it got better (which didn't), and my family thinking it was something to do with my cooking (possibly lol).”
Piglet

“I tormented myself with visions of being locked away in an victorian mental institution, running along corridors in a long nightie with black straggly hair wielding a big dagger (LisaS likes that bit - wonder was I confusing me with a character out of Jane Eyre or somesuch Bronte character)!”
Piglet

“My Paddington bear labels on all my bags, car and me so when I forgot who I was, someone would find me and take me home. Was all ok until I took 2 consultants out for lunch in my car and they read the one stuck to the dashboard. They didn't ask and I didn't say, but we all knew."
Meg

“Made my boyfriend took me to yoga one night, straight from his work, and sat in the big room with us all. He sat at the back doing some paperwork, all booted and suited and, might I add, not very amused with me.
Everyone was much more wellbehaved in the class than usual. None of the usual giggles.
The next week, they all asked the teacher how the Ofsted report had been on her teaching the week before...”
Meg

“I wrote a will because I was convinced I was going to die and I named everything I wanted to go to certain people. At the time, I had about 10 rabbits so I left them all to my sister. When I rang up and told her, she was less than amused saying "What am I going to do with 10 Rabbits?" LOL.”
Nic

"I had to make a phone call to the vets and I get very nervous making phone calls - I hate it.
Anyway, after I made the appointment, at the end of the conversation, I meant to say "that's lovely".
Instead, for some reason I thought I was talking to my Mum and I said "I LOVE YOU" at the end of the call to the receptionist. She just replied "well thank you" and put the phone down."
Pips

“Here's one of mine. I was in a grocery shop in a queue getting panicky, finally reached the till and fumbled for my purse when there was a bang on the floor as my urine sample I was taking to the docs rolled down the aisle in front of the queue! My poor daughter nearly died, but did we laugh after.”
Barb

“That's reminded me of when I had once been to see the doctor and was making a dash back through the waiting room to the exit.
Unfortunately, the waiting room has glass panels and what I thought was the door wasn't. I had walked into one of the windows in front of an audience of approx 50 patients. Of course, it took me another few minutes to actually find the door. How embarassing!”
Sueiamnew (Sue)

“I went to the pub with a group of friends and felt really nervous, and when I get nervous I seem to make a fool out of myself very easily.
One of the friends looked out of the window and said " It's so cold outside you can see people's breasts", so I replied (in front of everyone) "I don't know how you can see their breasts, they all have coats on?"
My friend replied " NO BREATHS not breasts!"
I felt very embarrassed.”
Mirry

“Whilst in Iceland paying for my shopping by card, with my heart pounding desperate to escape, the cashier said to me
"Please can you move your car?", so I replied "I haven't brought my car, I don't drive any more", so he said "Your CARD not car!"
Anxiety makes me look such an idiot sometimes.”
Mirry

“Another time at the checkout in the supermarket, I'd put my card into the pin machine and after, when I tried to pull it out, I must have been in a bit of a rush to leave and yanked a bit hard. The whole machine came out of it's holder and crashed down leaving it dangling by its wires. It made the checkout operator jump as much as I did and most of the other customers looked round to see what was happening! I left very quickly after that.”
Jim

“Wearing all my clothes to bed, just in case I needed to be taken away in the night by the 'medical authorites'."

Ksmith (Kay)

Edited

nomorepanic
01-06-07, 19:15
Blimey Piglet are you on steroids woman:winks: :winks:

A huge well done for collating all that - it is fab mate :yesyes: :yesyes:

Thanks for the offer of help Eeb - we will need all the help we can get!

Piglet
01-06-07, 20:30
Blimey Piglet are you on steroids woman:winks: :winks:

No - just pringles!!! :yesyes:

Eeby cheers me dear! :hugs:

Piglet places one pringle in a special gift box and ties it with a bow just for Eebs!

Well now everyone - apart from adding quotes and sayings we all like (if there is going to be room lol) what if anything is missing??????

Piglet
03-06-07, 13:03
Think we could just do with a few tips on nutrition/food (like B vits being good - that kinda thing) and any alternative therapies that people find good!!!

Anyone got anything like that - here's a couple to start us off!

"I massage my solar plexus reflex point on my palm with the thumb of my other hand when I feel anxious"
Piglet

"Consider taking a B-Vit supplement - when we are anxious we use up our supply very quickly and can often be low in these important vitamins"
Piglet

mirry
03-06-07, 13:10
Eat a small snack every 2 - 3 hours to stop your blood sugar dropping (healthy snacks only).
-------------------------------------
Up your intake of omega 3's in your diet, its very good for brain functioning, you can buy supplements if you dislike oily fish. Or eat mackreal, salmon, or sardines at least 3 times a week.

Piglet
03-06-07, 13:54
Good Mirry neither of those have been mentioned! :yesyes:

mirry
03-06-07, 20:12
make sure you eat dark leafy greens, nuts, meats ect for iron rich foods because lack of Iron can give symptoms of anxiety.

Piglet
03-06-07, 23:14
Mirry I am actually taking sachets of Spatone at the moment cos I get low in Iron really quickly - my sister got me onto them as one sachet is like eating 2lbs of spinach or 8lbs of broccoli.

It comes from natural source spring water - have a look mate www.spatone.co.uk (http://www.spatone.co.uk) really easy to take as you just add it to a drink (you can get it from Boots).

carldourish
04-06-07, 12:34
Hi Piglet,

Only just caught up with this topic, too many pages to read, but feel free to include any tips and ideas that I have done on the forum. Think there's a few on Hypnosis, NLP and EFT.

Take care

Carl

Piglet
04-06-07, 13:04
Carl if you could give me some direct tips etc I could ask Nic if we can put your website against your name - I'm asking her for Nigel too.

You don't need to read all the pages - just read the ones in blue to get a taster!!!

carldourish
04-06-07, 17:21
Hi Piglet, what about my topic on talking about fear.....

TALKING ABOUT FEAR.

Take something you are midly afraid of (x)

Say the following things to describe your fear. Best effect say them aloud. Notice how you feel about each one.

"I am terrified of x."

"I am frightened of x."

I am afraid of x."

I am anxious of x."

I am worried about x."

How do you feel about these sentences? does your feelings change with the words?

The words we use to describe our relationship to fear are also very important.

HAVING AND BEING

Think of something you are frightened of. or have been scared of, and say to yourself "I am frightened of (that)"

Then say "I have a fear of (that)"

Do the two sentences give a different feeling?

PASSIVE AND ACTIVE

Now try this.

Say to yourself "(that) frightened me" Here you are passive, being acted on.

Then say "I am frightened of (that)" Here you are active, doing something.

Is there a difference between "I am frightened of that" and "(that) frightened me". In the first the emphasis is on you. The second is on what frightened you.

PRESENT AND PAST.

Pick something that you really fear. Say to yourself "I am afraid of (that)"

What do you feel?

Now say "I was afraid of (that)"

Notice the second pharse is more precise. You were afraid of it in the past. How do you feel about it?

CAUSE AND EFFECT.

Now say to yourself "That made me afraid"

How does that feel?

In this example, you had no choice in the matter, it was simple cause and effect.

INSIDE OR OUTSIDE.

Now think of the sentence "To live in fear" What does it imply?

It implies that fear is something like a container you are inside. It surrounds you, a very uncomfortable state.

Now think of the sentence "Living with fear" Now fear is outside you.

HOLDING AND LETTING GO.

Now think about "to be in the grip of fear" Fear is outside you , but it has you, you feel caught.

Now say to yourself "I am free of fear" How do you feel?

So as you see each of these sentences give you a slightly different relationship to your fear, ans some may be more comfortable than others to think about.

The first step in letting go of unwelcome fear is to change the way you think about it, and one of the best ways of changing the way yu think about it is to change the words you use to describe it!!!!!!

Piglet
04-06-07, 17:27
While that's a smashing article (interesting to read it again :yesyes: ) it would need to be something much smaller in size because of the constraints of space etc!!!

carldourish
04-06-07, 18:08
Your more than welcome to break it down.

Take care

Carl

Piglet
04-06-07, 19:03
Oh right - ok hun, thank you very much!! :yesyes:

nomorepanic
04-06-07, 19:19
Happy to add Nigel and Carl's website addresses Piglet.

Piglet
05-06-07, 10:22
Oh that's super - thanks Nic.

Hope that's good for you Nigel and Carl?!!!!! :yesyes: :yesyes:

Ray would you like your website address by your name at all???

clickaway
05-06-07, 13:49
For your nearest self-help group click on the National Phobics Society site here http://www.phobics-society.org.uk/selfhelpgroups.php or ring No Panic on 01952 590545 who also keep a list.

It's good to talk!

carldourish
05-06-07, 20:29
Great......... Piglet.

Take care.

Carl

skylight2007
06-06-07, 20:00
:hugs: :hugs: Hiya Piglet!!! as requested hon!!!:flowers:

CHANGE THE BELIEF CHANGE THE EXPERIENCE!!!

Always remember you have the Power to change your thinking!!!!

See the person you want to be in the Here and Now!!!

Recognise the Inner dialogue of Positive thinking!!

Remember our thinking creates our living experience and for the anxiety sufferer CHANGE STARTS NOW!!!!!

The Power of Now is simply this basic exercise of Self awareness, cause and affect!!!

I THINK CONFIDENT (Positive thinking using positive affirmations)

I FEEL CONFIDENT (I feel good, worthy, accepted, appreciated and valued)

I SEE CONFIDENCE (Positive self belief, self image, self worth, self acceptance and self respect)

I ACT CONFIDENT!!! (I am happy, contented, focused, calm, relaxed and clear thinking!!)

AS I THINK SO I BECOME, I HAVE A CHOICE TO BE WHO I AM!!!

Hope this helps.

Love Sky:hugs:

Piglet
06-06-07, 20:12
Hi Piglet,

ld be really chuffed if NMP decided to use any of my pics , and if l knew what u were looking for ld have a look through my files for anything else that mite be of intrest to u .

just let me know.

Love
Jess

Jess - I particularly like the sunflower pics with plenty of sky on them and wonder if you are willing to try and download them to the NMP cover designs thread or even this one will do.

Or any with a prodominantly blueish background like sky or water - something calm and serene but cheerful and positive at the same time.

Thank you for this poppet cos it saves any worry about copyright etc too.

I am hoping Eeby, Ross etc will be able to add our logo details, titles etc over the top of the picture.

Ross has done 2 pics so far that are definately up for voting on but we are still at the messing about trying to find the right one that we can all agree on.

Your help with this is really most appreciated Jess - thanks hun.

Quiet-Lift
06-06-07, 21:45
Hi Sky:)

The NMP Pamphlet...

Really liked this one...a Yoda moment yes?

I want it...no, NEED IT engraved on my brain!:emot-worship:
(mentally not literally of course) :blush:

Take care and take it smooth:shades:

bearcrazy
06-06-07, 22:31
Keep a 'positive diary', write down something positive that has happened today!

:yesyes:

bearcrazy
06-06-07, 22:36
Treat each day as anew day, forget yesterday, especially if it was not a good one.

Set yourself small achievable goals, if you aim too high youre setting yourself up to fail!!!!!

Do something good for yourself each day! have a bath, relax on your own, ........:D

Piglet
06-06-07, 23:41
Love the one about the goals Bear - thanks hun!

Piglet

mirry
07-06-07, 20:47
piglet i got a good tip from the phobic society today,
i posted it on the tips forum, it a good one xxx

Piglet
07-06-07, 23:43
Ta mate! :hugs:

mirry
08-06-07, 10:34
hows it going ? Youve all been working so hard on this project (makes me feel guilty) but I can just picture the next time I go away in a caravan feeling very cut off from NMP, I will have you all with me in my little survival book ,lol. (thats how it all started wasnt it).

proud of you all xxx

Piglet
08-06-07, 10:54
Well I think we have most of the content now - it's the cover that needs working on!!

Nibbles
08-06-07, 18:21
Hi Piglet,

Wow, after a mammoth reading session I've finally caught up with all this and it's absolutely brilliant! Well done to everyone involved. :yesyes: Are you still interested in hearing tips Piglet or is there no room left? Also I have some photos which might be suitable to use in some form. If you're interested let me know and I'll upload them.

Take care,

Piglet
08-06-07, 18:36
Mike hun, yes we are still taking tips and yes pics are still welcome too lol!!

Thank you :hugs:

Nibbles
08-06-07, 20:15
Fantastic! Well for what they're worth my top tips would be:

1) Eat little and often when anxiety causes loss of appetite.

2) Break the challenge down into manageable steps rather than facing it as a whole.

3) Acknowledge negative thoughts as part of the condition but gently push them away with positive ones.

And to finish on a little statement really rather than a tip:

Remember that calm will replace the anxiety as naturally as the anxiety replaced the calm

Keep up the good work! :)

Nibbles
08-06-07, 20:28
Hi Piglet,

I've dug some of my photos out. If any of them tickle your fancy let me know and I'll send you the full sized ones. As an idea, how about dividing the inside of the pamphlet with headers which could have a faded sunset pic or something? Also if I'm not treading on anyones toes I thought I might have a play around with some possible designs for the inside of the leaflet.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1344/536208360_6ee137dc72_m.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1325/536208350_da0dbd517d_m.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1265/536208344_91c1044a79_m.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1159/536205528_818b4e32df_m.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1100/536205516_70389c18b1_m.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1117/536205510_1be10da6dd_m.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1269/536205504_8efd954d37_m.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1232/536205490_c12ffd92b3_m.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1083/536205482_63bcfbc773_m.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1100/530504101_447ffcd025_m.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1308/530504051_a5ea50ff95_m.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1295/530504035_df1da8292c_m.jpg

Take care,

Trev
11-06-07, 13:23
Sorry I've not contributed tips earlier. Better late than never I suppose! I don't know if these are tips but they are the things I'd say you need to do (some with the benefit of hindsight!) to get through to the other side :-

1) Cut out (phase out) all stimulants i.e. coffee etc.
2) Don't feel bad about asking for help and advice. Educate yourself as much as possible about the subject from RELIABLE sources.
3) Eat little and often of the best quality food you can get.
4) Take a decent daily multivitamin supplement.
5) Accept that THOUGHT = FEELING. This is so, so, important. Pains can be quite severe from muscle tension. The more you think about the pain the more tense that muscle will get! Beware of negative thinking spirals!
6) Occupy yourself with something that you enjoy (or have always wanted to try), preferably in the company of other people.
7) Exercise does help alot. Not what some may want to hear but I found that it does. Remember, walking is a great way to combine getting exercise and also getting out. This may help stave off agoraphobia if implemented in the early stages.
8) Build in daily relaxation time. I combined exercise and relaxation by doing yoga.
9) Do yoga! (Note : Yoga classes vary wildly. Some seem to just focus on the physical side. I'd suggest Hatha Yoga is a good starting point as it is geared more towards relaxation.)
10) DO NOT GOOGLE YOUR SYMPTOMS. You know why! :ohmy:
11) Print off text that makes you feel more positive and carry it with you.
12) Accept that it takes time to recover. It's not going to change overnight. A good day or week or month may be followed by a bad day or week. Setbacks may happen.
13) Accept that whilst support is key, YOU are the only one that can put all the things in place and do it.
14) "Doing it" is actually easier than thinking about it.
15) "Doing it" builds confidence. "Doing it" over and over concretes confidence. Confidence is key to recovery.
16) Keep positive audio at hand. I used to listen to Claire Weekes every day and sometimes about 10 times a day!!
17) Have time away from panic. If you feel ok (even ok "ish") then take a day away from the books, audio, internet, Claire Weekes, NMP etc. Just try and have a "normal" day. Lots of "normal" days = a "normal" week. Lots of "normal" weeks = a "normal" month and so on.
18) Minimise your external stressors. If there is something bothering you can it be removed or re-framed? I've heard it said that anxiety tends to affect "good" people. Have you said "yes" to doing things you don't want to do to help others? Could be time to put yourself first for a change and do that thing you've always wanted to do.
19) Change of scene. May not apply to everyone but I did find that a change of scene helped. New places, where there is no memory to deal with, can give your mind a bit of relaxation as it is occupied with new experiences.
20) THERE IS NO SIMPLE "ONE STOP SHOP" ANSWER! Recovery comes through doing lots of little things to change negative thoughts and feelings to more positive ones, and it takes a bit of time. There isn't an easy answer out there so don't waste time chasing it!

Piglet
11-06-07, 13:40
Mike - wow those pics are beautiful and such clarity. Yes please do play around cos we may very well want more images for the inside and that would help very much. Eeby is going to be looking over things when she gets time.

I am hoping that soon we will have 3 or 4 possible front covers for you guys to vote on.

Trev - splendid tips mate. Brilliant thank you so much!!

Note to me:

1.Collate all tips provided since last edited page of tips!!
2.Speak to Nic etc to look at how many we can fit in the pamphlet and the possiblity of using sayings and quotes and useful adresses/links etc.
3.Decide on the front cover.
4.Decide on any images to use in various shapes and sizes on the inside etc.
5.Work out costings and where we would have this project printed etc.
6. ENSURE ADEQUATE SUPPLIES OF PRINGLES ARE TO HAND AT ALL TIMES.

honeybee3939
11-06-07, 13:56
LOL Piglet !:)

I think number 6 note is the most important and the one that should take priority of all the others!:) :) :) :)

Andrea
xxxxx

Trev
11-06-07, 14:42
Is there such a thing as "adequate supplies"?!!!! :D

Nibbles
13-06-07, 16:35
Just noticed I'd missed uploading one of my photos so here it is :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1147/536208354_b8c4403552_m.jpg

Piglet
13-06-07, 16:47
Mike that is gorgeous hun!!

manmoor
14-06-07, 08:29
Mike you truly have a talent at photography mucker :hugs: those photos are amazing :yesyes: xxxxx

Piglet
16-06-07, 16:54
Just to say I have been chatting with Nic about the pamphlet and we will be having more discussions etc once the Telford conference and the flyers have been produced satisfactorily - in a few weeks time or so.
Okey dokey?! :yesyes:

joy
16-06-07, 20:48
arent you all good going to a conference when you have panic disorder. Sounds like a nightmare to me

Love Joy

Photos are beautiful

Dawn2
17-06-07, 18:41
The best tip that I can give is, talk to someone even if it's not face to face like in nmp. It's always worked for me:yesyes:

peoplelikeus
30-06-07, 15:14
I couldnt go to a conference lol nightmare for me too

monty
10-09-07, 11:07
hi, hows things going with this piglet?

thanks for all your hard work!

lucy -x-

Piglet
10-09-07, 14:09
Well Lucy I think I have probably gone as far as I can go with it, in terms of all the content gathering etc - there is more than enough info here to fill a pamphlet lol!!

So it's over to whoever is going to do the actual producing side of things now and has the technical ability to drive it forwards.

nomorepanic
10-09-07, 19:30
That is the problem really - I simply don't have time to do this so any offers????

monty
11-09-07, 10:16
I would like to help if I can- what needs doing exactly?

Lucy -x-

nomorepanic
16-09-07, 23:45
Monty- someone needs to collate it all and come up with a pamphlet - can you do that?

memyselfandi
17-09-07, 00:07
Hi

A print out of the symptoms list on this site works for me. When I really lose that rationalising ability I just reach for my NMP symptom list which I hasten to add has been reduced futher in size to go in my wallet for those isolated painc attack reasurrance moments.

P.S. I also keep a copy on each PC so I can access it easily.

Hope this helps

Mark

monty
17-09-07, 13:44
Hi Nicola,

I might be able to do that- would it just be a case of copying all the relevant posts made by piglet and making them into a publisher document- with a cover/pics etc.? Obviously I couldn't afford to print out loads of copies myself, but I could put it together in a file ready for printing...?

Lucy

nomorepanic
17-09-07, 17:34
Lucy

Yes it needs someone that can do desktop publishing type things and taking the info and making it into some sort of pamphlet - A4 folded in half type of thing and stapled in the middle. That is the hard part - laying the pages out so they work when folded up.

We will print them off here.

monty
18-09-07, 10:49
OK, I'll give it a go- where can I send whatever I come up with?! I'm not sure how successful I'll be but it's worth a try! :-)

Lucy

nomorepanic
18-09-07, 18:02
Lucy

Mail them to me or post here so we can see how you are doing.

Thanks a lot and good luck!

Piglet
18-09-07, 22:09
Lucy hun just to say that you will have way more content than you can possibly use, so it's also a case of deciding which are the most useful hints and tips first before you begin, then hopefully you won't get bogged down.

There are also pics provided by various folk ie; Jess, Ross and Nibbles etc to break up some of the text but no decisions had been made as which to use as yet.

monty
26-09-07, 12:33
Hi again,

I've done a 'first draft' but can't seem to upload it to the site (I don't know if it allows publisher docs).

It needs lots more work and I will need a decision on what pic to use for the cover and an intro writing by someone who knows what they're talking about!

It is much bigger than I think you were planning, but I've cut out as much as I can without removing some tips/quotes alltogether- it's 12 A5 pages total- bearing in mind the inside it only text and I have left some space for an intro.

So does someone have an email address I could send it to just so you can tell me if im on the right track? :blush:

Lucy -x-

monty
26-09-07, 12:35
Piglet- didn't see that post until just now so couldn't take your sensible advice!! lol

wonder why i didn't get a notification...?

anyway, I'm happy to send you the first draft if you want it.

Lucy -x-

Piglet
26-09-07, 13:15
Send it to Nic mate as she has the final sayso!!

Well done sweetheart for all your hard work - I'm sure it will be much appreciated.:hugs: :yesyes:

honeybee3939
26-09-07, 13:22
Ohhh Lucy

How kind of you to make such effort !:hugs: :hugs:

How very thoughtful of you.

Love
Andrea
xxxxx

monty
26-09-07, 16:03
Don't thank me yet- you haven't seen it! Looks a bit of a mess atm but in time I'm sure I can make it more presentable!

Is Nic's email address on here somewhere? I'm sure she'll read this soon anyway!!

Lucy -x-

nomorepanic
27-09-07, 18:35
Thanks Lucy

I hope Alex has publisher or I won't be able to open it but please mail me.

nomorepanic
27-09-07, 20:06
Is this Microsoft publisher?

monty
29-09-07, 17:13
I'll try and send it now. (again I didn't get notifications of these posts...?)

It is MS Publisher 2002.

Lucy -x-

nomorepanic
29-09-07, 17:57
Thanks Lucy

I will go and have a look now and let you know. Much appreciated

nomorepanic
11-10-07, 19:16
Lucy

I got a new laptop without Publisher on it but I have it now so can start to look at.

Thanks so much and I haven't forgotten about it and you ok?

monty
11-10-07, 19:32
No problem.

Yes I'm ok and you?

Lucy -x-

nomorepanic
11-10-07, 19:48
Lucy

I can't work out how to print it of double-sided so it all folds up as the 1st and last page seem to be on there own.

Is there a trick to this as I am not sure how to use publisher.

Cheers

monty
12-10-07, 10:49
I think it is mostly just fiddling and getting pages the right way up in the printer that does it but it might help to check the following:

click on 'file', then 'page setup', click the 'layout' tab, and under 'publication type' click 'booklet', and under 'orientation' click 'landscape'.

Hope that helps!!

Lucy -x-

nanny
21-11-07, 15:23
I think my tip would be.....................

Don't forget a bad day is just a blip, and also don't forget to turn to your friends who understand:hugs:

mad4it
08-12-07, 01:07
Don't be afraid of medication. Sometimes you just need help to be you again.

DeniseB
29-05-08, 23:53
This may seem a daft tip but it really worked for me!!

Agraphobia and panic when things are quite bad!

I always had points along my journey, however short, that i could go to in need of supposed rescue!

These could be a friends house, the Dr's surgery - the list can be as long as you like! At time I even included things like the ambulance station (surley they could help if I was panicing!).

I must admit I never used them, but just the knowledge they were there gave me reassurance!

One other daft point - on average an ambulance can be with you in 3 minutes - if the worst ever happened (which it will usually won't) it wouldn't be long before the emergancy services where there to help!

Denise x