PDA

View Full Version : Job Application forms?

SHYGIRLAJB
20-05-07, 00:49
Hi Everyone

Have you or would you lie on an application form for a job about your mental health problem?

Have any of you had any trouble with finding a job because you suffer from depression, panic, anxiety ?

The reason why I ask is because eventually I have to find work(once my head is more sorted out). I found it hard to find work before, I suffered with this problem. I am just intersted in other peoples views and experiences.

Many Thanks

shygirlajb

nomorepanic
20-05-07, 00:55
Hi

I have always been completely honest so it doesn't come back "to bite me".

I recently started a new job and it asked about mental health problems so I said that I have suffered panic attacks and anxiety.

My thought is that if I ever need time off cos of this then I can say "well I did declare it and was still offered the job".

If you lie then one day i can be to your detriment I feel.

Stand proud and admit it - don't hide from it.

Dying_Swan
20-05-07, 10:19
Hey.

I agree with Nic. I think it's best to be honest. They shouldn't be discriminating about these things, and most employers will have an equal opportunities policy.
Generally they just want to know that you are coping with whatever illness you had/have, and won't be taking loads of time off.

Good luck :) xxx

spiral
20-05-07, 17:18
since i was diagnosed i haven't been asked if i have mental health problems just how many days i've taken off through sickness. if i was asked i would tell them tho and i have voluntarily told various employers (makes it easier eg now i work hours that mean i have to take time off to go to the doctors and previously i had a job with changing break times so i sometimes had to pop to the staff room to eat bcos i'm much worse when i'm hungry)

it's never a good idea to fib in a job interview, it'll always come back on you eventually and you don't need that kid of worry...

up a ladder
20-05-07, 18:33
I would go with all of the advice so far.
I tend to find, if I lie, it tends to haunt me that I will get found out. When you're anxious, that is exactly the sort of thing you need to try and avoid. I too have never been asked if I had any "Mental Health" problems. I would have thought that may actually be illegal. I will find out if you like??
I am sure that on a training coure recently for interviewing techniques someone raised this with regard to health issues in general.

SHYGIRLAJB
23-05-07, 15:17
Hi all

Thankyou for answering my questions. I have another problem when I was signed on with jobs seekers from april 2006 - around beginning of January 07, I then went on to Incapacity Benefit plus Income support and I have been handing in my sick notes from the Dr.

If I filled in a job application form and is says how many days sick, what do I say?

I just would like to know, what other people have put on the forms etc.

Cheers

shygirlajb