PDA

View Full Version : The Lightning Process

madbubbles
20-05-07, 20:01
Hi all

Was wondering if anyone else had heard of The Lightning Process?

Here is the link www.lightningprocess.co.uk (http://www.lightningprocess.co.uk)

I am thinking about taking part in this training program, but am obviously sceptical, hence me posting here.

Any comments would be appreciated

Madbubblesx

Judi
03-04-08, 12:48
Me! Heard of it, done it, recommend it.

Initilly I looked at this training programme because a friend had ME. We concluded that there was too much hype for it to be true (could ALL the poeple listed on the site have really recovered?) and that at £560 it was too much to risk. However my friend later heard of someone she knew who had done the course and she decided to give it a try. For the next 3 days I got incredible text messages about the things she had achieved each day, walking distances and going places she couldn't have imagined a week earlier.

I started looking at the information on the site for anxiety/stress but there was a lot less than for ME. When she returned, my friend suggested that I wait to see if her recovery continued, but I was under threat from work that any more time off, even with a doctors note, would result in dismissal.

I agonised over what to do, the possibility of wasting the money, having to stay away from home (no practitioner within a 2.5 hour drive), coping with the drive. In the end I admit that having a friend speak of it so highly was the deciding factor. I was determined to go, but dreaded the drive, I kept re-running everything that could go wrong. Sheer determination got me into the car and I was in tears a few times during the journey.

After the first day I wasn't sure it would work but I could understand the basics and was still convinced I had to give it 100% because it was only for 3 days. The second day was my 'golden day.' I was the confident person of my fantasies! I went out for a meal on my own and not only walked into the restaurant alone but suddenly realised I was enjoying the meal instead of worrying about the future or re-running the past. The following morning I went shopping, not really thinking of anything in particular and then realised it was 11am and I hadn't felt scared all morning. I was all alone in a strange city and calmly shopping. No fear, no breathing problems, no having to stop and force myself simply to walk on. For me, depression was constant fear and anxiety was sheer terror, constant and mind numbing.

It IS a training programme, so you have to be all the more careful when you get home to break old patterns and constantly reinforce new ones. From what I have read of the processes of NLP and hypnotherapy there is a lot of those components to it but I confess I don't know much about either. Although I had been for hypnotherapy and done weekly sessions of CBT/person centred therapy I was recovering while attending these sessions and slipping back as soon as I was back in stressful situations without having the weekly sessions.

neptuno
04-04-08, 14:10
Thanks for this info Judi.
Can I ask a couple of questions ? ........

Do you have to personally attend a course or can it be done by remote ?
Are you panic-free now ?

Judi
04-04-08, 16:31
Of course :) I'll answer anything that I can.

You have to attend a three day course, someone will talk to you over the phone beforehand to answer any questions and to be sure you are ready to go along with it. I found that part very reassuring, as you talk to the trainer with whom you have chosen to study.

If the person with ME hadn't been a close friend whom I trusted I wouldn't have believed it could be so effective. I still have a feeling of disbelief 6 weeks on. I can't believe this is me and this is how 'normal' people function. It wasn't easy though, I don't know if this is the same for everyone but I had non-existent self-esteem, not just low, and all of us on the training ended in tears at one point or another. For me it was uncovering things that 2 five month sessions of weekly therapy had missed. Deep inside I *knew* I was worthless & useless and was trying to bully myself into 'being normal.' My GP diagnosed depression/anxiety but I didn't want to take tablets again as they made me so ill two years earlier. Even when I was gasping for breath I was convinced drugs weren't the answer, though I did actually get a prescription filled in case things got to desperation level again.

Just like any other training you have to keep it up and not be complacent. However my boss referred to the change in me as 'incredible.' I would suggest choosing a trainer and having a chat with them. I'm no professional, I can only speak from personal experience and I know how hard it is to trust a stranger. The people quoted on the LP website seemed too good to be true to me. Now I realise why they were so enthusiastic.

There must be people for whom it doesn't work, nothing can be 100% successful and I have no way to judge how effective it is, other than my co-trainees on that particular course, and my own reactions. I'm not just panic free I'm happy, I'm actually seeing more around me because I'm looking up instead of at the ground. I'm not scared all the time, I'm not tight chested and about to start crying or gasping at a harsh word, or sometimes at sympathy. To get to the course I had a 2.5 hour drive and I spent part of it in tears (I think at 3 different times) with a deathgrip on the wheel just to force myself onwards!

Best of all at any signs of previous reactions/behaviour I have a way to stop them before they build, but each of us had a different way to deal so it's not a simple formula to pass on by rote. The more I think about the course the more I see subtleties to it and how the components fitted together. I think a big chunk is NLP/hypnotherapy.

Hillbilly
29-05-08, 18:17
Hi, I am doing the Lightning Process next week. Judi your comments have been very helpful. I'm very excited to do it. I am nervous that it won't work for me (for anxiety / depression) but there is so much positive stuff written about it that I've decided I have to at least give it a try. I've decided to just go for it 100% and trust that I will get at least something out of it. I'll post how I get on.

neptuno
30-05-08, 19:12
Hello Hillbilly !
Keep in tough - I'd really like to know how you get on. There seems to be much secrecy surrounding it and a reluctance to share information because of a commitment you make to the course. I don't want you to break any confidentialities but I would appreciate the full story - warts and all ! I'll keep looking for your post

Judi
05-06-08, 15:31
I think the secrecy comes from the idea that if you explain it badly, (and how do you compress 3 half days into an email?) you risk messing it up for anyone trying it. I had two breakthrough moments when I realised things that a year of therapy hadn't reached fully. These were due to the therapist noticing hesitations and pushing me places I didn't want to go.

The formula is also tailored to the individual and you spend a lot of time discussing it, and especially when to use it, so I imagine a lot of people feel as I did. You don't want to give anyone the basics and wreck their chances of a recovery. It sounds very lame tho.

I know it's not helpful but I don't think that there IS a short explanation becuase I can't see it working without the background and work you need. It's now been 4 months since I did the training and you have to keep alert for when you need to do the process. I think that's really the hard part, the NLP side, recognising the dangers which are personal to you.

I haven't been here much tho because I've been so busy!

Bleargh :D it's so hard to explain. Did that help at all?? However I'll try to answer anything I can, what did you want to know?

neptuno
06-06-08, 10:33
Thanks for that Judi. Can I ask what specific difficulties you were experiencing and how the process helped (cured ?). Can you recommend any reading ?

Judi
06-06-08, 15:36
I'll be fascinated to hear how Hillbilly got on and if you want to email me HB just send a PM here. I found it a great help having a friend already through it.

The difficulty I found, was after the first euphoria of feeling great when I was slipping slightly into the depression spiral again. My own litany of being useless, hopeless, helpless was easy to spot. Other triggers less so, for example "looping" constantly re-running hurtful conversations. The good part is that you get one or two phone sessions after the course and can discuss this stuff. They don't expect you to walk out and manage on your own and I found that very helpful too. (That part varies, some seem to do one follow up & a CD, others do 2 follow ups).

LP helped because unlike therapy counselling when you know you shouldn't be doing it but it's hard to stop, you have a specific routine to run thru to stop. I have no idea why it works so well I think that's the NLP part tho there are other components too. Tailoring it to yourself is important and emphasis, it's a bit like having a drama coach in the training! Getting that bit right is what makes me wary of trying to simplify it becuase I can see it won't work. You need someone to check every word, literally!

It costs nothing to have a chat to one of the trainers, I think that would be the best way forward. I can only answer for myself, but they have a lot of experience to rely upon. Look at the websites and find someone you like the sound of, I did read "An introduction to the LP" but it's expensive (small print runs always are) and I found talking to the trainer much more reassuring. You can get it from the LP website tho.

All they want is for you to commit to it 100% and see what happens, then if you feel better commit to keeping up with the training, by that I mean continuing to be alert, not that they ask for more cash :) However you can have more chats after the course (other than 1 or 2 included) I think if you pay.

It's like dieting, if you won't follow the diet you can't blame the dietitician, on the other hand if you follow it then they'll give you the help you need but they emphasise it's training not cure. For me I got the tools I needed.

I've seen people being accused of being sales staff by spreading stories like this on forums, but if it was a scam why aren't there more folks saying it was rubbish? I couldn't find anyone who had done the course trashing it, just those who judged it from outside. That was a big plus for me.

One last example, a bad day at work used to ruin my weekend, I'd rerun conversations, get IBS, stop sleeping and dread Mon morning. Worst case I'd have a panic attack. A few Mondays ago I honestly couldn't remember if I'd had a bad Friday or not as I walked in. Partly because I have a lot more things to do now, partly because I walk out and honestly forget work.

thedood
07-06-08, 18:12
hmmm next week I'm having hypnotherapy and its covered by my Prue Health insurance under 'complimentary/alternative therapy'. I wonder if health insurace would cover LP?

rajesha
19-08-08, 17:34
Hi Judi
I was really interested to read the description of your experience with the LP.
I did the training programme in January initially for M.E., but also because I have problems with anxiety, getting out of the house, being alone and O.C.D.
I've found that it has helped with the symptoms of M.E. to a degree but I have not had such success with the anxiety problems. I am actually getting out now which I hadn't managed to do for 6 years but am still doing a lot of anxiety. You seem to have achieved huge success with you problems using the LP and I was wondering if you have any advice. I've been back to my trainer and she says that because I'm running so many unhelpful programmes it's bound to be more difficult. But I'm desperate for the success others have achieved. If you have any thoughts please let me know.

Hope you are still doing well!

Rajesha

Me! Heard of it, done it, recommend it.

Initilly I looked at this training programme because a friend had ME. We concluded that there was too much hype for it to be true (could ALL the poeple listed on the site have really recovered?) and that at £560 it was too much to risk. However my friend later heard of someone she knew who had done the course and she decided to give it a try. For the next 3 days I got incredible text messages about the things she had achieved each day, walking distances and going places she couldn't have imagined a week earlier.

I started looking at the information on the site for anxiety/stress but there was a lot less than for ME. When she returned, my friend suggested that I wait to see if her recovery continued, but I was under threat from work that any more time off, even with a doctors note, would result in dismissal.

I agonised over what to do, the possibility of wasting the money, having to stay away from home (no practitioner within a 2.5 hour drive), coping with the drive. In the end I admit that having a friend speak of it so highly was the deciding factor. I was determined to go, but dreaded the drive, I kept re-running everything that could go wrong. Sheer determination got me into the car and I was in tears a few times during the journey.

After the first day I wasn't sure it would work but I could understand the basics and was still convinced I had to give it 100% because it was only for 3 days. The second day was my 'golden day.' I was the confident person of my fantasies! I went out for a meal on my own and not only walked into the restaurant alone but suddenly realised I was enjoying the meal instead of worrying about the future or re-running the past. The following morning I went shopping, not really thinking of anything in particular and then realised it was 11am and I hadn't felt scared all morning. I was all alone in a strange city and calmly shopping. No fear, no breathing problems, no having to stop and force myself simply to walk on. For me, depression was constant fear and anxiety was sheer terror, constant and mind numbing.

It IS a training programme, so you have to be all the more careful when you get home to break old patterns and constantly reinforce new ones. From what I have read of the processes of NLP and hypnotherapy there is a lot of those components to it but I confess I don't know much about either. Although I had been for hypnotherapy and done weekly sessions of CBT/person centred therapy I was recovering while attending these sessions and slipping back as soon as I was back in stressful situations without having the weekly sessions.

Judi
07-11-08, 15:52
:ohmy: Rajesha
I'm SO sorry to have left this so long. I found the site when I was getting desperate but started recovering soon after, so I never really felt a part of the forum group, and I've been so busy since then I haven't checked back in.

I'd love to chat if you're still willing? I was issued with the course CD and I found that very useful when I was 'doing struggle' It wasn't easy and it DID take work but LP gave me the tools I needed and despite a very difficult year (My delightful colleagues insist I had a wonderful summer off on full pay last year. Meanwhile I actually only left the house to see doc or therapist and the joy of not being able to breathe when panicked.)

I used other tricks like buying a Nintendo handheld to use on the train and occupy me to stop me looping (rerunning conversations) and getting upset again, or even just sat and listened to the CD yet again on the journey home.

You're welcome to email me via here too.

Greenbee
12-05-09, 18:29
I have ME and have done the Lightning process, and I have to say its the biggest pile of dangerous rubbish I have ever done. There are by and large 3 groups of people there, Manic Depressives, Anorexic girls, and people with high stress jobs such as medical students, solicitors or city workers that are still doing full time work that think they have an illness as serious as ME. I was even punched on the arm in exurberance by the Manic Depressive in our group as he switched from depression to mania after becoming high on the process. I have to say generally the number of manic depressives that get diagnosed with ME is really quite a probelm.

The group sessions rapidly move from what seems to be a training program into more an evengelical hallelujah you are saved kind of thing where each person must go to the front to be "saved". Even those that really do have ME leave on a high of mass hysteria. I have now become aware of several people who really have ME becoming seriously ill believing they can do more than their body really can.

It is absolutely disgraceful that a man, Phil Parker, can merely call himself some offical sounding name, become his own governing body and start claiming to treat and cure a very serious disease. In every other civilised country in the world this is a criminal offence. EVEN THE USA! The man should be behind bars. Indeed even in the UK it is a minor criminal offence with a maximum of 2 years jail under the trades description act but those laws are never enforced.

The lightning process itself it merely to say STOP, change your body posture to the feelings you want, be it relaxed or energy (called congruance), tell your self you are a powerful genius and how great you are, then think of some memories to reinforce that. Relaxation will help all illnesses, just google sickle cell anemia and stress. That is not the same as saying sickel cell disease is caused or can be cured by stress.

applehead
03-09-09, 22:08
I have ME and have done the Lightning process, and I have to say its the biggest pile of dangerous rubbish I have ever done. There are by and large 3 groups of people there, Manic Depressives, Anorexic girls, and people with high stress jobs such as medical students, solicitors or city workers that are still doing full time work that think they have an illness as serious as ME. I was even punched on the arm in exurberance by the Manic Depressive in our group as he switched from depression to mania after becoming high on the process. I have to say generally the number of manic depressives that get diagnosed with ME is really quite a probelm.

The group sessions rapidly move from what seems to be a training program into more an evengelical hallelujah you are saved kind of thing where each person must go to the front to be "saved". Even those that really do have ME leave on a high of mass hysteria. I have now become aware of several people who really have ME becoming seriously ill believing they can do more than their body really can.

It is absolutely disgraceful that a man, Phil Parker, can merely call himself some offical sounding name, become his own governing body and start claiming to treat and cure a very serious disease. In every other civilised country in the world this is a criminal offence. EVEN THE USA! The man should be behind bars. Indeed even in the UK it is a minor criminal offence with a maximum of 2 years jail under the trades description act but those laws are never enforced.

The lightning process itself it merely to say STOP, change your body posture to the feelings you want, be it relaxed or energy (called congruance), tell your self you are a powerful genius and how great you are, then think of some memories to reinforce that. Relaxation will help all illnesses, just google sickle cell anemia and stress. That is not the same as saying sickel cell disease is caused or can be cured by stress.

Lol...this was my reaction when at the end of the first day the pracitioner finally showed us what the LP actually was. I actually thought, this is some kind of joke right?

But I did go home and do it over and over and over again, and it did work for my M.E, completely gone now. Took about 3 weeks for 90% of it to go and then the last bit gradually tapered off. I would actually say I have more energy than before. Am trying it on my anxiety now--I have severe social anxiety. Was trawling the net to find examples of people who had used it on anxiety, so thanks Judi. Like you say it is dominated by M.E mainly.

suzy-sue
03-09-09, 23:25
[quote=applehead;546151]Lol...this was my reaction when at the end of the first day the pracitioner finally showed us what the LP actually was. I actually thought, this is some kind of joke right? SURE IS IF IT COSTS £560 :roflmao:

But I did go home and do it over and over and over again, and it did work for my M.E, completely gone now. Took about 3 weeks for 90% of it to go and then the last bit gradually tapered off. I would actually say I have more energy than before. Am trying it on my anxiety now--I have severe social anxiety Oh that explains why you didnt Introduce yourself Before and after this post then ???? Sorry heres me thinking this is just another spam post :doh: Silly:doh: me